NL 10 vs EL 12 if you had to choose one

Ken Swenson

Lil-Rokslider
If you had to choose between EL 12s and NL 10s for tripod glassing, which would you pic?

Currently running the EL 12s, along with a compact set of 6x binos.

I've been entertaining the thought of moving to NL 10's to replace both, which would save about 28 ounces from my kit. I am not including the NL 12s in my consideration due to the blackouts/lack of eye relief. I sit behind binoculars for hours on end, this would get tiring.

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
I upgraded to NL 10s from SLCs and compared the ELs to the NLs before I bought. To my eyes, the glass was comparable and the NLs felt better in the hand. Glass wise, if upgrading from ELs to NLs, I'm not sure its worth it, other than the NLs to feel much better to hold. YMMV.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I would go 12x42 NL to replace both. Especially from a tripod. I love my 12NLs, was not expecting much upgrade from my 10ELs but they are remarkable. Just because of that I would go NL over EL anytime.

JJ1179

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I love my NL 12’s. Hands down the best binoculars I’ve ever owned or used. In fact, I bought a second pair for a backup for my son or friends.

Tahoe1305

WKR
In next few days I’m going to publish a fairly objective comparison between the two.

The BL is not much surprise. The 12s resolve more but cost a tad bit of FOV. I compared the ELs as well. IMO the EL/NL 12s are almost identical optically. Difference is size and weight.

In reference to the blackouts. I actually did have it if I couldn’t get eye placement perfect. I think it effects folks with narrow eye placement more than the ELs.

I don’t think you’ll go wrong with any of them. I did snag a bino bandit to see what gains it gives because I want my NLs to work they are sweet.

mainbeam pursuit2

Lil-Rokslider
I went from SLC 10s to the NLs, very happy with that choice. Still have SLC 15s. They’re all good, probably need to use them next to each other to see the differences. As Tahoe said Eye placement is a bit touchy. I got to try the Bino bandit at Tahoe’s crowd sourced optic review. Liked it enough I ordered a couple.

pirogue

WKR
I’ve got the NL 12x42, NL 8x32, and EL 10x42. For tripod glassing, I wouldn’t get rid of the 12’s to replace with 10s, with magnification outweighing type. In fact, I’m getting rid of the 10’s, although they were my “one for all occasions” until the NLs came out.

OP
Ken Swenson

Ken Swenson

Lil-Rokslider
In next few days I’m going to publish a fairly objective comparison between the two.

The BL is not much surprise. The 12s resolve more but cost a tad bit of FOV. I compared the ELs as well. IMO the EL/NL 12s are almost identical optically. Difference is size and weight.

In reference to the blackouts. I actually did have it if I couldn’t get eye placement perfect. I think it effects folks with narrow eye placement more than the ELs.

I don’t think you’ll go wrong with any of them. I did snag a bino bandit to see what gains it gives because I want my NLs to work they are sweet.
Can’t wait to hear the report!

NL 10s. If you must run 2 binos the NL 10s and SLC 15x56.

These days I run 3 binos on 2 Tripods:
NL 10s and SLC 15s on a Lightweight CF Tripod and BTX 85mm @ 30x on a heavier duty CF Tripod.

I upgraded to NL 10s from SLCs and compared the ELs to the NLs before I bought. To my eyes, the glass was comparable and the NLs felt better in the hand. Glass wise, if upgrading from ELs to NLs, I'm not sure its worth it, other than the NLs to feel much better to hold. YMMV.
How's the low light comparison between the SLC and NLs?

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

holzphoto

FNG
NL 10x42. i've owned all of the EL and NL glass over the years and settled on the 12x42 NL's. I did recently get a great deal on a pair of EL 8x32 for when I am in thick forests - I lead photo/eco safaris to india and africa and feel like the 8x32 (or 8x42) would be a better fit for the jungles of india. Africa is more open, so will most likely take the 12x42 NL's there - i use them in yellowstone and teton and love them!

Hnthrdr

WKR
NL 10x42. i've owned all of the EL and NL glass over the years and settled on the 12x42 NL's. I did recently get a great deal on a pair of EL 8x32 for when I am in thick forests - I lead photo/eco safaris to india and africa and feel like the 8x32 (or 8x42) would be a better fit for the jungles of india. Africa is more open, so will most likely take the 12x42 NL's there - i use them in yellowstone and teton and love them!
Sounds like a pretty adventurous career, your ever hunt any of those animals or just snap pictures of them? Do they have hunting in India?

Hey man, Did you ever publish This? Curious about your thoughts.

Have you actually looked through NL 12s? I've spent a lot of 10+ hr days behind them, no idea what you are referring to.
@Turkeygetpwnd38 Its me again. Lol. I hear that the 12's are so remarkable, but I cant get past the thought that I cant freehand them. I do think they would be the best tripod glass; but im shaky with 10's at best, and there are times where I need to freehand. What do you do when you need to freehand with 12's?

I’ve got the NL 12x42, NL 8x32, and EL 10x42. For tripod glassing, I wouldn’t get rid of the 12’s to replace with 10s, with magnification outweighing type. In fact, I’m getting rid of the 10’s, although they were my “one for all occasions” until the NLs came out.
Now That you are getting rid of your EL 10's, do you pack the NL 8's, 12's, and a spotter? Or just the 8's and 12's?

@Turkeygetpwnd38 Its me again. Lol. I hear that the 12's are so remarkable, but I cant get past the thought that I cant freehand them. I do think they would be the best tripod glass; but im shaky with 10's at best, and there are times where I need to freehand. What do you do when you need to freehand with 12's?
I have no issue freehanding them. I use them for everything so they get free handed a lot during archery. The best I can explain is something with the increased FOV causes it to not seem as shaky? I’ve never been able to free hand other 12s but can these. There is also the headrest option that will add a point of contact if they are too shaky for you.

Everyone is different though, you should be able to pick a pair up at a store and know if you can acceptably freehand them or not pretty quick.