Day Pack w/ gun Sling

There isn’t a one size fits all imo. I’ve carried a lot of iterations over the years and a 2 point quick adjust sling with a backpack is my go to set up. Allows me to have options with how I secure the rifle and also go hands free if need be.

OP
W
Just trying to find a day pack that will work with something like a slick sling

The Guide

WKR
Just trying to find a day pack that will work with something like a slick sling
The issue is that most "day packs" don't have a waist belt. You need to go up to what I consider an "overnight pack" (could carry enough gear to bivy overnight comfortably so ~1200 to 2200 ci) with a strong frame to comfortably carry a rifle all day. Without a good waist belt the whole thing will be flopping all over your back. Buy a detachable bag frame pack system with a small bag and you will have the option buying a larger bag for addition hunts.

Jay

I carry a few packs that don’t have a waist belt, but I also don’t sling my rifle, I just carry it in my hand. I have never liked slinging my rifle.

If I were to sling my rifle, I would probably use a two point style sling and carry it upside down on my firing shoulder, muzzle pointed in the direction of travel.

TaperPin

WKR
Even my smallish daypack has these buckles up on the shoulders. In the past I’ve added them to a pack with different design just to have a place for a 5mm accessory cord sling (or 550 parachute cord) to hook. It feels weird at first, like it might slip off, but in two decades it hasn’t. I couldn’t imagine going back to a normal sling, or having a pack without these simple plastic ladders.

This works so well, yet isn’t offered by anyone, because who would pay for a 550 cord sling? You’ll never see one of my rifles with anything else.

The only thing you have to do differently is lean the rifle in a bit and lift slightly to get it off the buckle. Hunting buddies who tried it, picked that right up and there has never been a rifle hung up.

Attachments

• D63F09DC-9F0B-404C-9CAD-DA4434334247.jpeg
    D63F09DC-9F0B-404C-9CAD-DA4434334247.jpeg
    109.2 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Even my smallish daypack has these buckles up on the shoulders. In the past I’ve added them to a pack with different design just to have a place for a 5mm accessory cord sling (or 550 parachute cord) to hook. It feels weird at first, like it might slip off, but in two decades it hasn’t. I couldn’t imagine going back to a normal sling, or having a pack without these simple plastic ladders.

This works so well, yet isn’t offered by anyone, because who would pay for a 550 cord sling? You’ll never see one of my rifles with anything else.

The only thing you have to do differently is lean the rifle in a bit and lift slightly to get it off the buckle. Hunting buddies who tried it, picked that right up and there has never been a rifle hung up.
Can you give some more details on how you're carrying the rifle in this case? Do you mean that you're just using a straight stretch of 550 cord as your rifle sling, you sling it over your shoulder like a regular sling, but it just rests on that load lifter buckle like a sling clip?

TaperPin

WKR
Can you give some more details on how you're carrying the rifle in this case? Do you mean that you're just using a straight stretch of 550 cord as your rifle sling, you sling it over your shoulder like a regular sling, but it just rests on that load lifter buckle like a sling clip?
Yep. Pretty simple.

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
I was in your same boat last year. You need something with a sturdy waist belt and some sort of frame to properly do what you’re wanting. Lots of options here just depends on how much you want to spend. I landed on a mystery ranch pop up 38. It’s got the perfect setup and size to be a daypack but not be too big to feel like you’re carrying a full blown multi day backpacking setup. Although you can definitely get several days if really needed. Added a slick sling to it and I barely know my rifles there. I got mine used for 175. I really like the way it carries moderate weight for a little more ridged “day pack” vs the average frameless day pack most use. Also couldn’t be happier with the slick sling, I’ll never use just a regular shoulder sling by itself again.

TaperPin

WKR
It’s also worth mentioning that with use the parachute cord develops a slight grove around the ladder clip that makes it slightly easier to get the 550 cord under the clip. It’s such a habit for the right hand to guide the cord around the clip it slipped my mind to mention that as well.

OP
W
Found my ticket. Ordered a Stone Glacier Kiowa 3200 day pack. It works with the SG quick release sling. So I am assuming it works the Creative Outdoors Slick Sling. Will post once I receive both

prm

WKR
Appears you’re set. There’s a guy that makes a thing that attaches to the shoulder strap to hold a sling and prevent it from sliding. Works great! Doesn’t take the weight off the shoulder the way belt mounted carrier do though.

The Guide

WKR
Appears you’re set. There’s a guy that makes a thing that attaches to the shoulder strap to hold a sling and prevent it from sliding. Works great! Doesn’t take the weight off the shoulder the way belt mounted carrier do though.
I just use my chest strap over my sling to keep it on my shoulder when I'm hiking without hunting.

Jay