Deep Six FMJ FOC concerns

Hunthigh1

WKR
The current FOC on my Easton arrows

4mm deep six fmj with 100 Grain tip = 9.075%

5mm fmj from last year with 125 grain tip= 10.221%

I know easton recommends 10-15% FOC

I am wanting to shoot the 4mm arrow this fall, but am concerned about that FOC being too low.
With limited options for 125Grain deep six broadheads, I would like to stick with 100 Grain heads. . .

What are the best ways to up my FOC on this arrow? Is there a preferred insert to bump this up?

Do i have to just add a 2nd insert behind the existing one? any better options?

jmez

WKR
As far as I know no one has come out with any weighted or heavy Deep 6 inserts. You have to just add a second insert.

OP
H

Hunthigh1

WKR
darn it! I wonder if adding another insert behind the existing one will even be enough weight to get that FOC above the reccomended 10%...?

When i shot deep 6 4mm arrows I used 2 inserts in them and 100 grain point.

I now shoot the Goldtip Pierce arrows and like that arrow better

Pramo

WKR
I've run into a similar issue with 330 injextions and trying to get good fixed blade flight and better foc. I originally made the arrows with one insert, blazers and no wrap to keep a decent foc. Then I had trouble with larger exodus heads past 40 yards and I was at 282 fps although I could get Wacem flying great.

Now I moved to Max Stealth vanes with a wrap to stiffen up the spine and double inserts at 270 fps with great flight to 60 yards with exodus. I added the second insert from the rear of the arrow after making a tool from a wire and shrink tubing to push it in. It can be a pain but with a little care they will go in and not pull out, you can then look though the shaft to made sure its sitting correct before the epoxy drys.

OP
H

Hunthigh1

WKR
I've run into a similar issue with 330 injextions and trying to get good fixed blade flight and better foc. I originally made the arrows with one insert, blazers and no wrap to keep a decent foc. Then I had trouble with larger exodus heads past 40 yards and I was at 282 fps although I could get Wacem flying great.

Now I moved to Max Stealth vanes with a wrap to stiffen up the spine and double inserts at 270 fps with great flight to 60 yards with exodus. I added the second insert from the rear of the arrow after making a tool from a wire and shrink tubing to push it in. It can be a pain but with a little care they will go in and not pull out, you can then look though the shaft to made sure its sitting correct before the epoxy drys.

Pramo, Your a genius! putting another insert in from the rear is going to save me some cash!

Brendan

WKR
250 spine GT Pierce platinum - 28 inches vs. 280 spine 4mm FMJ - The GT will be 60 grains lighter than the FMJ at a stiffer spine (Arrow / Carbon weight only). Allows you to move all that weight up front to get the same overall arrow weight, better FOC.

OP
H

Hunthigh1

WKR
Not sure how thats an advantage unless you want an arrow pushing 550g.

Some of us like a 500grain class arrow. I dont mind bigger pin gaps and am always stressed about getting great penetration.

Brendan

WKR
Some of us like a 500grain class arrow. I dont mind bigger pin gaps and am always stressed about getting great penetration.

But, a 550 grain arrow with more FOC is better than a 550 grain arrow with less when it comes to penetration and forgiveness (As long as spine is stiff enough to support it...)

Can I ask why? Is it the insert system or all carbon arrow? Been thinking about making the switch my self.

They are tougher. I like the all carbon vs the aluminum carbon. Lighter shaft and I'm able to get better FOC with them.

Also their insert system is nice. I can shoot normal heads and not deep 6. But still able to shoot and reap the benefits of a skinny arrow. I have had no issues with it. I like that I can add weights into it with the Fact module system. My arrow right now weighs 450 and has 18% FOC.