Define a ‘DIY’ Hunt

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
You'd probably want to make sure that no one was calling for you, helping you break it down, or helping to pack it out either. Must go solo.

crich

WKR
If you buy s box of brownie mix, pour water in it and stick it in your oven is that considered home made?

My actual answer to the question would be that DIY is without the assistance of a guide, paid or not. My wife hunts with me. She follows me around until I tell her to shoot something. She is not a DIY hunter.

I feel that getting help from people before the hunt does not necessarily make a hunt non DIY. On some scale, we almost all have had help that has led us to this point. You looked at maps that someone else made. You are using equipment that someone else made. You are using knowledge that someone else probably helped you develop whether from books, or teachings when you were young or starting. It really depends on how granular you want to get. If you think about it, how does doing your own research make your hunt DIY. Research is looking for information from someone else to help you make decisions. How is that DIY? We don't really do anything on our own if you drill down far enough.

This topic reminds me of Arnold's speech.

I think the acronym is stupid.

In regards to hunting, home remodeling, automotive work... Really just about anything vaguely common for people to do.

DIY an airplane and I'll be interested.

I think the acronym is stupid.

In regards to hunting, home remodeling, automotive work... Really just about anything vaguely common for people to do.

DIY an airplane and I'll be interested.
This is as close to self built as I'm going in :) . My brother-in-law has built and re-built most of this plane. I'm amazed at his work every time we go out! A little off topic, but it is a pretty cool plane to me!
20190610_144001.jpg

In all seriousness, I think a majority of people would probably think DIY is when you don’t exchange money with an entity/Business/person for services DIRECTLY related to your hunt.

Simple examples below:

Buy plane ticket in Southwest Airlines, rent a car from Hertz, drive to eastern Oregon go elk hunting where you scouted=DIY

Go to sportsman show, talk to outfitter, and book un-supplied drop camp for $2k per person. Your using all your own gear when you get there, no guide=NOT DIY

I would think 80-90 percent would agree?

Jethro

WKR
My actual answer to the question would be that DIY is without the assistance of a guide, paid or not. My wife hunts with me. She follows me around until I tell her to shoot something. She is not a DIY hunter.
If you and your wife went on a hunt together in which you did not hire a guide, I'd consider that DIY. Even though you may have taken the lead.

For me DIY means not hiring an outfitter or guide. Research, travel/transporter, public/private, # of people in hunt party has nothing to do with it. At least to me.

Nothing against any guided hunt, but I appreciate a good DIY hunt story more, because it appeals to me more than guided.

WCB

WKR
Remember if you buy land yourself, manage that property, plant the crops, cut the trees, go there and hunt by yourself, shoot deer by yourself, gut and drag deer by yourself, load into the truck by yourself....THAT IS NOT DIY.

You PuBLiC LaNDowNEr guys crack me up.

FYI...majority of my hunting is on public land.

DIY literally stands for "Do it yourself". So a DIY hunt would be where you DIY'd the hunting part yourself, without help.

Whether you Uber'd, drove, chartered a plane or rode your pet turtle to the spot is irrelevant IMO. You still did the hunting and planning yourself? It's DIY.