Degreaser Options

STAxel

Lil-Rokslider
Got myself a brand new Tikka T3x Stainless! What does everyone recommend as a degreaser? I've read that some folks use brake cleaner, what are some alternatives?

At least with SG your gun will smell minty fresh 😁
Don't overthink it. Brake cleaner, SG, Gun Scrubber, Hoppes, etc, all get the job done. You aren't getting a gun covered in cosmoline, just light assembly lubes.

Hoppes #9
Congrats on your new rifle.
I like to keep a light coat of oil on the metal after I clean my guns. Even on stainless steel (Stainless steel can rust too.)

On a brand new rifle, I pull it out of the stock. wipe the outside with a lightly oiled rag. Reassemble with proper action screw torque paying attention to magazine alignment.

Swab the bore with solvent and dry.

Pull the bolt apart and clean it with brake cleaner, then lightly oil the spring and reassemble. You'd be surprised how dirty the inside of bolts can be on new rifles. Or how much grease they'll pack in there.

Then mount a scope and put it in my safe waiting for ammo to become available again.

Jeremy

Simple green is ok for metal? What's your new rifle cleaning process?
Yeah, it's not like you're leaving the gun bathed in it for 6 months.

My process? I don't put much thought into a "process". Clean the bastard until no more black crap comes off it, wipe down and maybe punch the bore with a patch soaked in WD40. Lube with whatever synthetic motor oil I have laying around, usually some 30w. Once that is done, I lubricate myself with whatever porter or stout is in the fridge. Done and done.

Back