Delorme in reach

Hey guys, need your opinions. Will be going for 6-7 days early season sheep hunting. And probably late season as well for 4-5 days.
Leaving the wife and 3 daughters at home I have started to think I should have a way of knowing if something has gone wrong.
The idea of the spot units is fine to let them know I am ok but worst case coming home after 6 days to find out something bad has happened shortly after I left is unthinkable.

So let's hear what you guys are using and how well they work. Thanks for your input. Keep it together, rob.

Manosteel

WKR
I used the Delorme inreach last season and it worked like a charm. It was great, it has decent maps in the app you have to download and all around very useful. I even use it for work when I have to head into areas that have zero cell service. Great peace of mind for me and my family.

I used it everyday when hunting just to let the wife know where I am and how things are going. The kids can log onto my account and see where I am on maps from the delorme inreach site. My 8 year old printed the map and tracked me as I hunted so I would send the wife a text everytime I stoped for any lenght of time to let my boy know what I was doing, i.e. glassing, what I saw if I saw anything, eating, naping and when I was succesfully etc...

Last edited:

Bob

Lil-Rokslider
I have the inreach that links up to my phone. It has worked quite well, even in non-hunting, non emergency situations.

colonel00

WKR
I just picked up an InReach SE for the same reasons as stated here. Haven't gotten a chance to use it, though, since I will just do the 4 month plan during hunting season. I am really interested to see how the new version compares that supposedly has more GPS functions.

Actually, I just glanced at the Delorme site and it looks like they have changed up their plans a little so I will have to check out what works best for me now. I just can't justify a full year subscription but their monthly plans might fit better now.

OP
Timberghost
Thanks guys. I know one thing the plans we get up here in Canada are way shittier and cost more than what you guys can get in way of options.
I think just having it for the fall time would do the trick.
I will check it out later tonight.

colonel00

WKR
Thanks guys. I know one thing the plans we get up here in Canada are way shittier and cost more than what you guys can get in way of options.
I think just having it for the fall time would do the trick.
I will check it out later tonight.

Actually, it looks like your plans are better, or at least comparable, than down here. I haven't really scoured the details but it looks like you can get the Chat or Track plan for $30/mo and a $30 activation fee. These plans seem fairly comparable to the Recreation plan for the US. Fees are slightly different but it is nice that they finally went with a monthly subscription.

http://www.inreachcanada.com/service-plans/#.U1lSn_ldV2Y

http://www.inreachdelorme.com/product-info/subscription-plans.php

OP
Timberghost
Thanks for that. It does look like they finally got them a little more inline. Any of you guys ever see them on sale anywhere? Thanks, rob.

I'm also going to look into the InReach and I recently got an email ad from Delorme that says they now have pay as you go plans where you can start and stop it and it won't expire and you can put your time on hold. I haven't looked into it yet but will need to soon. I have had the SPOT with the Delorme GPS and not sure if it's worth anything now so that's the only drawback for me is it seems like technology seems to be outdated in 2-3 years. But for solo hunting, it gets down to an invaluable safety tool!

OP
Timberghost
The 50 dollar plan for the US gives you guys unlimited everything, where as the Canadian plan is only 250 texts, then .25 cents for every message over. But 250 should be enough anyways.
I am hoping the original Inreach goes on sale once the new explorer comes out.
Keep it together, rob.

colonel00

WKR
Yeah, they kind of stick it to you on the 250 text limit but like you said, that should be enough unless you are out all month. Honestly, if I were out where 250 texts couldn't cut it, a satellite phone would probably be much more justified.

COLOelkman, look at the second link I posted above. Essentially you have to pay an annual fee of $25 to keep your account open. Then you can purchase plans for 30 day stints. I don't think you can break up those 30 days but I could be wrong. Regardless, it is a much better deal for those that don't need year-round service. Take the Recreation plan for instance, you would have to need service for over 8.5 months before it would be cheaper to just do the annual plan.

Plus, you can change your plan for each situation. For instance, I have 3 trips planned this year. I am taking my girlfriend up to Alaska in August for some fishing, rafting, hiking and other good stuff. I will probably only get the recreation plan to cover that time. Then, in mid September I go back up with my father to chase caribou. I will also have a Wyoming Muley hunt at the beginning of October. So, I can get service that overlaps both of these trips. Since it will be a much longer period of time and I am sure the girlfriend will want me to check in more often, I will probably go with the Expedition plan for that 30 day period.

So, with the annual fee and all of my trips covered, I am only out roughly $125 in service fees. That is a lot better than an annual contract for $300 at only the Recreation plan level. And, if I don't upgrade with the Expedition plan for the second round of trips, I am only out $95.

yama49

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using the inreach past 3 years, awesome piece of equipment. Has never let me down.. I suspend my account, when not using,and run the 50$ when hunting. Timberghost might have a used for sale shortly, if your interested, thinking about getting the new one...

OP
Timberghost
Yama, I am interested. Shoot me a message with what kind of money your thinking. It is the one that pairs with the smart phone right ? Thanks, rob.

colonel00

WKR
Can't speak to battery life but it has an internal rechargeable battery. They sell a package with a Goal Zero solar charger so I am assuming that will work or recharge with a battery pack.

They take AA batteries so you can pack extras or rechargeable ones and I got at least 10 days of use out of mine last year. By days I mean turning it on when I wake up and turn it off when sleeping. It is a really great piece of equipment I feel and the wife thought it was cool to see where we were while hunting. It also about payed for itself when I missed placed my truck key about 6 miles back and 2 states away from spare. It was nice knowing I could text the wife from the backcountry and have mail me the spare if need be.

colonel00

WKR
They take AA batteries so you can pack extras or rechargeable ones and I got at least 10 days of use out of mine last year. By days I mean turning it on when I wake up and turn it off when sleeping. It is a really great piece of equipment I feel and the wife thought it was cool to see where we were while hunting. It also about payed for itself when I missed placed my truck key about 6 miles back and 2 states away from spare. It was nice knowing I could text the wife from the backcountry and have mail me the spare if need be.

Are you talking about the original on with the AA's? I'm pretty sure the newer ones have an internal battery and can't use AA's.

Logan T

WKR

Somewhere around where Wheeler about got run over by a spike right?? haha. About had to use it to call in help for him!

I'm looking pretty hard at the SE Clint, I don't know why, but yours worked really well and got me thinking about one.

Colo4x4XJ

Lil-Rokslider
After reading this thread and doing lots of internet reading, I ordered an SE a couple days ago. It's not necessarily a piece of equipment that I can't wait to try out but having the peace of mind of my girlfriend and mom as well as being able to text my packer from anywhere are things I kindve am excited about. Add to it that I already carry the goal zero battery pack/panel that Delorme sells as a bundle and. If there's one thing I do well is gear whoring haha