Inguinal Hernia & surgery?

I had one done in 2021, robotic. (32 years old at the time) Recovery was quick, and I had been carrying it for at least 10 years. I think I was walking around on day two and back feeling good in a couple weeks. Shot my bow while on weight restriction, and spent 10 days elk hunting four months later.

So, another recommendation for robotic mesh. My surgeon told me that most of the lawsuits re: mesh are for docs using it to repair stuff other than hernias.

Reactions: ZDR
If you are a little skinny guy, DON'T do laprascopic. They will over-inflate you to have room to work. It will tear all your abdominal muscle and give you a looong recovery. They said I'd be back to work as a framer in 3 weeks, and it took that long needing help just to get up off the couch or toilet and 6 months before I could frame even small stuff. If I had it to do again, I'd rather wear a truss the rest of my life......

OP
ZDR

ZDR

WKR
Oh man…that’s interesting. I’m 175 with a 32” waist.

OP
ZDR

ZDR

WKR
**Post surgery update**
I had the laparoscopy surgery 5 weeks ago as of last Friday and thought I would give a quick update. I ended up having a double hernia and both were quite low in the groin area with the left side being significantly larger. The surgery took 145 mins and according to the surgeon it was straightforward. I had a pretty rough recovery with significant vomiting which was super unpleasant and painful due to the anesthesia. Finally released to go home about 7pm (I was in the operating room by 7:30am) so was a long day. Day 2 I was up and walking with a hiking stick and by day 5 I was getting around fairly well. By D7 I was walking up to a 1/2 mile or so. The worst part during these days was the gas used to inflate the abdomen. It seemed to work its way out thru my shoulders and neck area and that was uncomfortable. Week 4 was a family vacation to the mountains and we hiked up to 3 miles a few times. I was tired after doing it but overall it seemed to really loosen my Ab area and reduced the general soreness. I also carried a light pack and the hip belt didn’t bother me at all. I was worried about that but no issue!
Week 5 and I am working out lightly in the mornings and back to shooting my bow. Did a 3.5 mile mountain bike ride in easy terrain and other than unused muscles getting sore, it was no problem. My plan now is to slowly up the intensity of the workouts and get ready for indoor tournaments coming up this winter and my January deer hunt. While surgery is never pleasant, I am so glad I ended up getting it.

TxLite

WKR
**Post surgery update**
I had the laparoscopy surgery 5 weeks ago as of last Friday and thought I would give a quick update. I ended up having a double hernia and both were quite low in the groin area with the left side being significantly larger. The surgery took 145 mins and according to the surgeon it was straightforward. I had a pretty rough recovery with significant vomiting which was super unpleasant and painful due to the anesthesia. Finally released to go home about 7pm (I was in the operating room by 7:30am) so was a long day. Day 2 I was up and walking with a hiking stick and by day 5 I was getting around fairly well. By D7 I was walking up to a 1/2 mile or so. The worst part during these days was the gas used to inflate the abdomen. It seemed to work its way out thru my shoulders and neck area and that was uncomfortable. Week 4 was a family vacation to the mountains and we hiked up to 3 miles a few times. I was tired after doing it but overall it seemed to really loosen my Ab area and reduced the general soreness. I also carried a light pack and the hip belt didn’t bother me at all. I was worried about that but no issue!
Week 5 and I am working out lightly in the mornings and back to shooting my bow. Did a 3.5 mile mountain bike ride in easy terrain and other than unused muscles getting sore, it was no problem. My plan now is to slowly up the intensity of the workouts and get ready for indoor tournaments coming up this winter and my January deer hunt. While surgery is never pleasant, I am so glad I ended up getting it.
The gas from laparoscopy is the worst part. Felt like my collar bone was going to explode. Glad you’re getting around well. I had the surgery 5 years ago and have not had a repeat incident

Reactions: ZDR
OP
ZDR

ZDR

WKR
The gas from laparoscopy is the worst part. Felt like my collar bone was going to explode. Glad you’re getting around well. I had the surgery 5 years ago and have not had a repeat incident
You nailed it - the gas coming up through that area was painful…

It's weird how different it is for different people. I don't remember ever feeling any discomfort from the gas or the incisions.

I'm 5 months from surgery and still get pain at the hernia site when I do activities that engage the muscles there. Working in a bent over position causes a lot of discomfort still.

OP
ZDR

ZDR

WKR
It's weird how different it is for different people. I don't remember ever feeling any discomfort from the gas or the incisions.

I'm 5 months from surgery and still get pain at the hernia site when I do activities that engage the muscles there. Working in a bent over position causes a lot of discomfort still.
This is the workout I started after surgery and am still using it. I didn’t start it the first 10 days or so, but i am still using the day 3 plan along with some of my own stuff. I’m going to start the going through the rest of his post hernia surgery plan now.
maybe it would help you? I’d hate to still be having discomfort 5 months later…

This is the workout I started after surgery and am still using it. I didn’t start it the first 10 days or so, but i am still using the day 3 plan along with some of my own stuff. I’m going to start the going through the rest of his post hernia surgery plan now.
maybe it would help you? I’d hate to still be having discomfort 5 months later…

Thanks, I'll check it out. If the scar tissue is in the wrong place I suppose it could cause pressure on nerves that may never go away. Guess I'll find out.

Thirty-one percent of 2853 patients, who answered a postal questionnaire 2 to 3 years after inguinal hernia surgery, still had pain in the operated groin. Six percent had pain of such severity that it interfered with daily activities.

OP
ZDR

ZDR

WKR
Wow, that’s way higher than I would have expected…shockingly high…

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
The worst part was the discolored junk🤣💯 3 yrs post op on double inguinal and then repair to the device repair site around belly access area. No issues and never even think about it.

OP
ZDR

ZDR

WKR
Hahaha…ya, I wasn’t going to mention that part…😳

Weldor

WKR
Not exactly the same, but I had an umbilical hernia taken care of, laporoscopically with mesh, a few years ago. No weight over 10 lbs first ten days. Then up to 30 lbs for a month. After that, no restrictions.

Best of luck.
Same here, Did surgery 3 years ago. Went in Friday in the am, was home by 10 am. Layed around for the weekend as recommended. went to work on Monday (weldor) did a few weeks of light duty. No problems except scare tissue from the mesh pulling. All good. Get a twing every now and again nothing to worry about says the Doc.