Diamondblade vs Knives of Alaska

wreckem6

FNG
Is there a difference in steel on these two knives? Are they made by the same company? I ordered a Diamondblade knife and the shipping info was from KOA.

OP
wreckem6

wreckem6

FNG
I have since found out that Diamondblade knives are friction forged and will therefore stay sharper longer. That's the difference in the metal and price. Will leave feedback after it is put to the test.

intunegp

WKR
I have since found out that Diamondblade knives are friction forged and will therefore stay sharper longer. That's the difference in the metal and price. Will leave feedback after it is put to the test.

Here's a write-up about their knives and process by Larrin Thomas, who is easily the most respected metallurgist in the knife industry and the developer of Magnacut. In summary it seems that Diamondblade is only getting knives 1-2 Rc harder than what can be attained with traditional heat and cryo treatments, but the friction forging causes some grain refinement beyond what you'd typically see with D2 and edge retention may be improved because of it. Interesting stuff for sure, but personally I think I'd spend my money elsewhere with the limited data available. Curious to hear your report and see what you think about it!

OP
wreckem6

wreckem6

FNG
Here's a write-up about their knives and process by Larrin Thomas, who is easily the most respected metallurgist in the knife industry and the developer of Magnacut. In summary it seems that Diamondblade is only getting knives 1-2 Rc harder than what can be attained with traditional heat and cryo treatments, but the friction forging causes some grain refinement beyond what you'd typically see with D2 and edge retention may be improved because of it. Interesting stuff for sure, but personally I think I'd spend my money elsewhere with the limited data available. Curious to hear your report and see what you think about it!
Thanks! Montana Knife Company uses Magnacut metal. I wanted their Magnacut Stonewall Skinner but they are not in stock and I am pressed for time.

Last edited: