Difference between $500 and $1k binoculars

TheGDog

Just think of all the other ways in which you'll enjoy your high-end binos. To keep my eyes in practice I regularly go to a nearby local wetlands reserve along Pacific Coast Highway. I did it just the other day in fact when I rec'd the ZEISS from the other gentleman here on Rokslide so I could check out my new toy. Told myself I was going to sit and force myself to slowly grid thru this marsh area in front of me, just to see what I could see (figuring I might surprise myself by noting some small birds or something) then, Boop... oh cool! Look at that! I found two coyotes up in there that were lounging until the sun went down! Then.. ambulance comes along down PCH and they respond to it like an invitation howl!

http://instagr.am/p/CFTh3j3HqC3/

ao3004

You will definitely notice the difference between the $500 and $1k glass in the last hour of daylight. Ive used swarovski next to Nikon Monarch binoculars and you really see the difference in low light situations. I would recommend getting the best glass you can afford and you will not regret it.

OP
P

poptop

I made the hour and a half drive to Bass Pro to check out what they had. They didn't have a ton, but they had a decent selection. I looked through the BX-4 Pro, Vortex Razor and Fury, and the Zeiss Conquest. They were supposed to have SLC's, but they didn't. They had the EL's, but I didn't even look through them, no way I can make that leap.

I'm sure there are plenty of factors, mostly not being outside and my lack of experience with higher end binoculars, but I didn't really notice much of a difference. The Zeiss were my least favorite and the Fury was my favorite, but I don't think i'm interested in the built in range finder, it was pretty hefty and I can see trying to operate it with one hand being a struggle under the right situation.

I'll keep reading and looking for a deal.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

gr8fuldoug

Opening up to a $1,000.00 price point gets you to;
Meopta Meostar
Leica Trinovid
Kowa Genesis
GPO Passion HD
to name a few and these are excellent quality glass in the upper end of optical options. Please feel free to give a call to discuss what would be best for you

TheGDog

Hmmph.. really? First thing I noticed with the Zeiss was how much lighter they are than those DiamondBack I have. Then the clarity, depth of field, etc.

ShortMountain91

I made the hour and a half drive to Bass Pro to check out what they had. They didn't have a ton, but they had a decent selection. I looked through the BX-4 Pro, Vortex Razor and Fury, and the Zeiss Conquest. They were supposed to have SLC's, but they didn't. They had the EL's, but I didn't even look through them, no way I can make that leap.

I'm sure there are plenty of factors, mostly not being outside and my lack of experience with higher end binoculars, but I didn't really notice much of a difference. The Zeiss were my least favorite and the Fury was my favorite, but I don't think i'm interested in the built in range finder, it was pretty hefty and I can see trying to operate it with one hand being a struggle under the right situation.

I'll keep reading and looking for a deal.

Thanks again for all the feedback.
Gotta take em outside to really see differences. The lighting in the store will make things look similar. Take them out at dusk or at night and look at the moon

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

AkMtnRunner

I can say the difference between Nikon Monarch 7 (~$400) and the HG ($800) was improved (less) distortion and only a little sharpness. I feel the difference is definitely not game changing. I think the optimal progression would be to get into a good $300-500 pair then save up for an used set of alpha level binos like Meopta/Swaro/Zeiss/Leica. For a total of ~$1500 you'll have two pair of reliable binos for the rest of your life. Keep one in the truck and the other in your safe.