Binos for Deep South

Under $1k is a no brainer for a set of Nikon Monarch HG. Right at a grand new and if you are willing to hunt for them, $6-700 used. When you factor in the lifetime warranty, you can’t lose. Birders use their binos WAY more than us hunters and these are very well respected in that circle.
Lifetime warranty is a bit of a stretch. It's pretty restrictive when you read the details. I own used 8x42 HG's and expect a hassle if I ever need them repaired. Fantastic glass though, I feel zero need to upgrade to anything more expensive and enjoy looking through them as much as my Leica UVHD+

Shraggs

WKR
If I was getting eastern specific binoculars I’d get the Swarovski CL 8x30’s. You can find demo’s of them for under $1k even though their MSRP is more like $1,400 now.
Although I absolutely love my second gen swar cl 8-30 I would not use them if low light performance is The priority. The field of view is a bit narrow. Not meant to disagree with you, my experience.

If low light performance is your priority I would look for used ZEISS 8x42 victory fl, probably the most bright bino I’ve ever looked thru. I can scan a field I’d like to cross at night and see if deer are there for 100s of yards. I’d also look for a swaro EL 10x50 another very good performer, probably used may still be pricy. A used swaro 7x35 would be killer if you can ever find one. New models I’d second the conquest 8x42 and the new Nikon in 8x42.

I do very much believe that an exit pupil of 5 or near 5 does gather more light that smaller. Try your scope at 9 power vs 6 snd see if the image is brighter.

Tl15

Lil-Rokslider
Lifetime warranty is a bit of a stretch. It's pretty restrictive when you read the details. I own used 8x42 HG's and expect a hassle if I ever need them repaired. Fantastic glass though, I feel zero need to upgrade to anything more expensive and enjoy looking through them as much as my Leica UVHD+
I'm in the middle of a massive optics overhaul right now and I'm about to go at bino's. I'm pretty much where you are with the Nikon vs big money glass. On one hand, I really want a set of Zeiss Victory SF 10x42's. But on the other hand, I can get 90% of the way there for 1/3rd the price with a set of Monarch HG's. They just punch so far above their weight it's ridiculous.

morgaj1

WKR
I hunt in AL with very similar terrain. I have used everything from cheap binos to Swaro EL’s. To me, with short fields and low-light performance, the Zeiss Conquest 8x42’s are the sweet spot. My son has been using a set for a couple of years now and they are a great pair of binos. I would look for a used set on the forums or buy a demo from Red Hawk or EuroOptic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TN2shot07

WKR
Very similar terrain here, I swapped to the Maven B3 8x30’s last year. It’s a lot of glass for the money and you’ll have some left to put toward something else.

If you’re doing more of the 500 yards they have a B1 in 10x42 and their B2 in 9x45 & 11x45. You can definitely pick them up at your budget in the classifieds lightly used.

I think a good 8x42 is a good configuration for what you are looking for. That said, i would pick a good 7x42 in good glass if you can find it for the depth of field that most 7x42 will have over a similar 8x42. I had a 7x42 Meostar that I sold when I got a Zeiss SF 8x42. The Zeiss SF is a superior model overall, but the Meostar 7x42 was perfect for deep woods except for the weight.

I recently bought the Swarovski Habicht 8x30 GA and Habicht 7x42 GA. Both in green rubber armor for around $1000 each at a hunting store in Dubai. You can buy each for around that price from some European dealers. The 8x30 is not available in green rubber on the Swaro Europe website except for special order which is why Dubai has them since some of the sheiks there put in a special order with Swarovski since they don't like black leather and metal binos in the desert. The Habicht 8x30 is super bright, I compared it to my Euro/Meostar HD 8x32 and the Maven B3 8x30 and the Swaro is much brighter with better resolution. I also compared the Habicht 8x30 with the EL 8x32 and the NL Pure 8x32 for about 30 minutes after dusk and the Habicht appeared slightly brighter than either. The EL and NL Pure had much better edges since the Habicht is not a field flat lens model but the large sweet spot resolved just as well as the EL or Pure. I own a NL Pure 10x42 and love that model but I was surprised to see the Habicht resolves just as well and is brighter for less than 50% the price of the EL or Pure.

I liked the Habicht 8x30 so much I also bought the Habicht 7x42. Very light weight for a 7x42 and better low light performance than my Zeiss SF 8x42. The only thing I have that is brighter at night is my Swaro SLC 8x56. The SLC 8x56 is noticeably brighter but it is not day and night difference and if I have to walk anywhere i would bring the 7x42 and not feel limited. It's close enough I kind of regret buying the 8x56.

So if you are willing to buy from Europe you can get Swaro NL Pure-level resolution and brightness for around $1000. I am not using an 8x30 on a tripod so i really don't care about the field flattener lens for a strictly hand-held bino. I also really like the ergonomics on the Habicht models. The focus wheel is a little slower and would not be as fast for a dedicated birding bino like the Zeiss SF. But from 50 - 1000 yards I have to refocus much less with either Habicht models than my Zeiss SF or NL Pure so I find myself grabbing them more and more.

JGTWI

WKR
I think the Kowa 8.5x44 would be your best bet. I bought a set from Cameraland, and while they are a bit big/bulky for my liking, the viewing experience is incredible for the price.

As mentioned above, a used set of Meopta Meostars or the Nikon HG’s would be excellent choices as well. Those Nikons are light and handle in edible well for being 42mm objective binos.

I have a set of 8x42 Leupold BX4’s for sale in the classifieds that are listed well under your budget and would be a significant upgrade from your diamondbacks, but honestly think the other 3 choices above would be better if you are okay with being on the upper end of your limit.

I'm in the middle of a massive optics overhaul right now and I'm about to go at bino's. I'm pretty much where you are with the Nikon vs big money glass. On one hand, I really want a set of Zeiss Victory SF 10x42's. But on the other hand, I can get 90% of the way there for 1/3rd the price with a set of Monarch HG's. They just punch so far above their weight it's ridiculous.
They really are underrated and I like the wide FOV with mild field flatteners in them quite a bit. I haven't looked through the 10's but the 8's have a very comfortable eye box.
The way I see it, you spend your first $1k on glass for effective hunting, anything above that is for your experience.