Binos for Deep South

Long Cut

WKR
As the title states, I’m looking for a good pair of binos for deer hunting Georgia.

Yardage varies from 50 yards to 500 on my power line & gas line spots. The biggest issue I have with my current Vortex Diamonback 10x50’s is low light performance.

Weight isn’t as issue. Low light performance is a must.

Cost wise I’d like to stay under $1k new or used.
Any recommendations?

Get a pair of 8x. I hunt maybe right down the road from you somewhere else in South Georgia. All you ever need is a 8x. Something also with a wide field of view for glassing creeks and turkey hunting in the spring. I run Swaros so out of your price range but I have a pair of Vortex Razors that do 90% of my swaros. If you are sitting in a power line then a spotting scope could be used. Or run a pair of binos off a tripod when sitting in a blind. You will realize that you don’t need as much mag. if you are stable.

Kurts86

WKR
If I was getting eastern specific binoculars I’d get the Swarovski CL 8x30’s. You can find demo’s of them for under $1k even though their MSRP is more like $1,400 now.

If I was getting eastern specific binoculars I’d get the Swarovski CL 8x30’s. You can find demo’s of them for under $1k even though their MSRP is more like $1,400 now.
How do the 30s compare to the 42s? In terms of light gathering?

Kurts86

WKR
How do the 30s compare to the 42s? In terms of light gathering?
In my experience not a lot. 2 years ago we ran Swarovski SLC 8x30, 10x42 and 15x56’s side by side and the little 8x30’s from 2001 held up really well.

8x30’s have a 3.75mm exit pupil and you don’t gain a lot of light gathering past 4mm. Glass quality really wins the day

I really like the newest generation of CL binocular and alpha 8x30/32’s in general. None of these thoughts apply to 10x30’s due to exit pupil or cheap 30mm binoculars.

I never wanted a big binocular while hunting the SE and it always felt silly running 10x42 SLC’s. Definitely prioritize FOV and an exit pupil around 4mm.

pirogue

WKR
With a lot of Swaro owners getting the NL Pures, the EL series used prices seem to be coming down. I’ve got stands in the South that 70 yards is maximum I can see. Before I got the NLs, I always used my 10X42 ELs and never wished for less magnification. They’re not as big and bulky as the SLC

Cool! Good information. My last and hopefully final pair are the 8x42 Pures. I run them on a tripod a lot glassing lanes and food plots so I don’t mind the weight. But I like the honest review.

Code Red

FNG
I'm real fond of my Zeis SFL 10x40's. A little out of your price range, but they were out of mine too, and I did it anyway. No regrets. They were a huge jump in clarity and low light performance over the Steiner 8x30's I had been using. As mentioned above, the Swaro EL's are starting to show up used for good prices.

8x seems like it will generally get you better low light performance than 10x, and is more than enough for us here in the SE. If I had it to do over again, I would get the 8x40's instead of the 10x, but I'm not chuffed about it enough to change.

So far, no one has suggested binoculars in the OP price range. Yes, Swaros and high end Zeiss are going to be the best, but they are $1K-$2K above his budget.

OP, Zeiss Conquests punch well above their weight in glass clarity and low light performance. You can sometimes get like new demos from Euro Optic online for $800.

Tl15

Lil-Rokslider
Under $1k is a no brainer for a set of Nikon Monarch HG. Right at a grand new and if you are willing to hunt for them, $6-700 used. When you factor in the lifetime warranty, you can’t lose. Birders use their binos WAY more than us hunters and these are very well respected in that circle.

pirogue

WKR
So far, no one has suggested binoculars in the OP price range. Yes, Swaros and high end Zeiss are going to be the best, but they are $1K-$2K above his budget.

OP, Zeiss Conquests punch well above their weight in glass clarity and low light performance. You can sometimes get like new demos from Euro Optic online for $800.
Some of us suggested “used”. I see 4 pair of Swaro ELs that sold on eBay in the last few weeks for less than $1320. With some hunting seasons ending now, one can take advantage.

Tl15

Lil-Rokslider
Some of us suggested “used”. I see 4 pair of Swaro ELs that sold on eBay in the last few weeks for less than $1320. With some hunting seasons ending now, one can take advantage.
Still 30% over budget. I have a feeling under $1k means, I’d really prefer to be at $7-800, which is entirely reasonable for a great set of Meopta or Nikon HG’s.

bozeman

WKR
in that budget range, Zeiss Conquest 8X42 or Leupold BX5 Santium 8X42........I am in AL and the 8X42 is by far my pick for binos for hunting here and when I go out west......

SloppyJ

WKR
I have a set of vortex 10x50s and they're a bit too much for me. I don't have the 500yd lanes you're talking about and while using them this weekend in a blind with my son I was wondering what else is out there that would be better.