Disinformation on hunting forums

There are alot of benefits to hunting forums, but have you ever stopped and really asked yourself how much disinformation is out there? The constant, "The drought, the winter kill, the fires, CO OTC crawling with hunters etc" when guys ask for specific regions, units etc. is incredible. There were several threads this past year on units I know well, and the amount of disinformation given to get guys moving along is comical at best.

The internet is a wonderful thing, but has killed a lot of units as well. Sadly, a lot of guys don't want to put the keys in their trucks and see for themselves, or take the risk of a fall that wasn't so full of encounters. The point of this post, don't be discouraged by the feedback you get on forums or even biologists for that matter. If you expect to post a question on a unit, and truly think you're going to get positive feedback, you may be in for an eye opening.

TSAMP

WKR
Its also a very subjective topic. Perhaps that unit was crawling with folks when I was there so that is how I report it. Goes both ways but id wager most people, on here anyway wouldn't purposely give false info. Sarcastic/vague info? Absolutely!! Myself included.

archp625

WKR
Units and gear. I dont know how many people give their views on this item or that item and have never personally used it. They just read what someone else wrote on the internet. That's to worst to me. I wont give advice unless I have first hand used it or owned it.

Glory

Lil-Rokslider
if people ask for unit-specific info or even "which unit" within certain states, i almost always make it a point to give bad information. Figure it out for yourself, i don't care if you have to drive 30 hours to get to the unit.
Just curious, but why the need to say anything? Do you enjoy screwing other people up?

ChrisA

WKR
Straight up no bullshit right here: blew 9 mule deer pref points on a high county tag in 2019, hunted near holy cross, was far as 9 miles in, saw nothing worth packing out .

No, we didn't have an opportunity to scout early being from Iowa, plus we damn sure wasn't going to get any info here or any other forum.

And yes, we glassed our asses off with swaros, and lecia.

ETA: I would trade for small rifle primers for gps coordinates to area we saw one big ass shiras bull (have pics and video); not near holy cross so dont get pissy locals.

Chris

Last edited:

chasewild

WKR
Straight up no bullshit right here: blew 9 mule deer pref points on a high county tag in 2019, hunted near holy cross, was far as 9 miles in, saw nothing worth packing out .

No, we didn't have an opportunity to scout early being from Iowa, plus we damn sure wasn't going to get any info here or any other forum.

Chris
Tough unit. The Holy Cross feeds the great Unit 44...but those bucks never leave the timber/low country.

I don’t lie to folks. I either tell it like I saw it or don’t say anything at all.
Hunting is very subjective and has lots to do with past experience and expectations.

ETA: I would trade for small rifle primers for gps coordinates to area we saw one big ass shiras bull (have pics and video); not near holy cross so dont get pissy locals.

Chris
That's where you messed up, should have used Zeiss 😎

Brendan

WKR
Just curious, but why the need to say anything? Do you enjoy screwing other people up?

Because posting any comment whatsoever that makes a unit sound good or stand out from any others will be there for the world to see, and pretty much ensure more people go there after seeing it in places like this, thus adding a bunch of pressure and making it a worse place to hunt...

My opinion is that those discussions should be handled privately unless you're talking about high point units, once in a lifetime hunts, etc.

Edit: Just so people know where I'm coming from, I will share info with people in private who are contributors here, and have likewise gotten helpful info from people here. I just don't think putting it out for everyone on the Internet is at all a good thing...

Last edited:

HookUp

WKR
Stupid questions can sometimes deserve stupid answers. "No unit names" should be a forum mantra, nothing good comes from a unit thread. The reality is most units hold good animals.

Wapiti1

WKR
Does this mean that the 6.5 Creedmoor isn't the bestest cartridge ever and that Tikka's really do suck? Are Swarovski's overpriced lens holders? Wolves actually care for and nurture elk?

My world just became so much smaller and darker with this knowledge.

Jeremy

CObywayofUSAF

Lil-Rokslider
I couldn't agree more, this will be my first year out West but back home in Wisconsin you saw it all the time. Every year after gun season, wolves killed all the deer, DNR ruined hunting, etc etc.

hunt1up

WKR
if people ask for unit-specific info or even "which unit" within certain states, i almost always make it a point to give bad information. Figure it out for yourself, i don't care if you have to drive 30 hours to get to the unit.

Well now I know that I can disregard your replies as bogus in future unit threads. :cool: