Ditching the daypack

Sobrbiker

WKR
I run a MR Pintler w/50L dry bag for carrying camp/food/water during winter season, no dry bag for day hunting, and in warm weather I have the Cabinet bag I’ll swap out to.

Maldavis

FNG
Not stealing someone’s quote . But read on here.
I’ve never heard anyone say, “ I wish my pack was smaller”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I still use my Badlands 2200. The newer models are lighter. A great daypack that has a meat shelf and nice lash system for getting a quarter out on the first trip. I’ve packed herds of elk with it and the price is less than the high end stuff.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've had a couple different 6000 cu in+ packs, and always wished they were smaller when I was carrying them. But as a daypack, it's not the size of the pack bag that's the problem........it's the frame sticking up too far, it's the large padded shoulder straps, it's the large padded waist belt, it's the overall size of the thing.........even without a bag.......and that's my Stone Glacier frame. Just not anywhere near as uncumbersome and comfortable as my daypack.

Randle

WKR

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have hunted with alot of guys that say it.
I think that's why the pop up is so popular.
It is probably a location thing. The under brush and such that we crawl thru chasing elk in the northwest is so different than where I have hunted in even montana or colorado.
I have had Kifaru, Exo and now Pop up and it shines and is so much better at navigating up here.

I also have a Fortress 4800. Last trip I ran just my frame and Merlin talon with basically just day stuff. I have entertained taking my main bag. To be able to stay out. @Southforkguy do you find the main bag noisy carry thru the day? How do you manage the crinkle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't find it too noisy, just tuck it in as best as possible. I Move slow while I'm hunting, I do some fancy maneuvering to Dodge extra limbs etc that may drag on the pack and create extra noise.

Elk97

WKR
I can carry a quarter in my MR Popup 28, and when hunting I forget it's there. Seems like the perfect pack for the elk hunting I do. Not saying it carries a load as well as a meat hauler frame but pretty good actually.

Kifaru frame with Cargo Panel, hydration bladder and pouches for kill kit, snacks, flashlight, headlamp, calls & other needs. Total frieghter at 6.4lbs.

Vaultman

WKR
I still use my Badlands 2200. The newer models are lighter. A great daypack that has a meat shelf and nice lash system for getting a quarter out on the first trip. I’ve packed herds of elk with it and the price is less than the high end stuff.

'...packed herds of elk..." Is that a typo / bad auto correct or should I ask to be your new hunting partner.

I've had a couple different 6000 cu in+ packs, and always wished they were smaller when I was carrying them. But as a daypack, it's not the size of the pack bag that's the problem........it's the frame sticking up too far, it's the large padded shoulder straps, it's the large padded waist belt, it's the overall size of the thing.........even without a bag.......and that's my Stone Glacier frame. Just not anywhere near as uncumbersome and comfortable as my daypack.

EXACTYLY. The frame sticking up above the shoulders when walking through low branches is brutal. Those are the days where I have my day hunt lumbar pack.

'...packed herds of elk..." Is that a typo / bad auto correct or should I ask to be your new hunting partner.

EXACTYLY. The frame sticking up above the shoulders when walking through low branches is brutal. Those are the days where I have my day hunt lumbar pack.
No type error. I guided and outfitted with that pack for years so packed lots of bulls for other people. I killed my 22nd in a row this past season too.

I'm pretty sure most people do that. I don't.........but most do. I'll hunt sometimes 22+ days during archery season, and I'd rather be carrying my daypack around for that long and have to make one extra trip to get my frame pack, than wearing my frame pack all season. I hardly even notice my daypack on my back, but I always know when I'm wearing my frame pack.

Ditto. Couldn't find a Kifaru lumbar last year so ended up with a Blacks Creek Cure for a lumbar daypack as an alternative. Love it and don't regret the decision to keep the Kifaru in the truck ready to pack and hunt faster and lighter during day trips with a well equipped lumbar. Especially during the archery elk, I was in dark timber and burnt areas quite a bit and slipping through that was much easier with a lumbar than years prior with a 26" frame (Nomad2 or Apollo).

That said - when I pack into an area I love my frame pack and how it packs down to day hunt mode. Years like this when I was consistently within 2 miles of the truck or wheeler I'll take the lighter daypack every time. It's not a weight thing but rather of ease of slipping through trees and breathability/comfort.

Also - I don't run a spotter or camera equipment so a big pack on day hunts doesn't really serve a need for me that the more nimble lumbar does.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The only time I'll use my frame pack for hunting is when I do pack in. But then I let it ride as low as I can get it, so that the top of the frame isn't sticking up so far. The frame still interferes with me carrying my bino's under my arm and over my shoulder.......same for my bugle tube.

Whip

WKR
The first elk I ever killed I was wearing a daypack. Only 1.5 miles, but I never made that mistake again. I'm always prepared to get an animal cut up and haul meat.

Sanchez

Lil-Rokslider
I carry a day pack that I use to take the loins out on the first trip back to the truck to get a bigger frame pack.

Respect. Packing elk with that thing is rough. I also switched to an external frame after the first load when I had mine.

bline

FNG
I've always hunted with a daypack unless I was packing in, but bought a MR Beartooth 80 recently. It cinches down really well, especially without the lid, so I don't see it being too big. Last season was the last straw for me, I'm tired of packing out just a backstrap or loins and then going back for two more loads.