DIY 23" Duplex

So, the pack build-a-long thread motivated me and got me thinking. I have a 26" tactical duplex, for a short time I had a 22" tactical duplex with 22 mag and really liked the shorter frame but couldn't justify having two duplexes. I figured I could make a shorter duplex and use the shoulder straps, hipbelt, and lumbar pad from the other frame.

I have zero experience sewing but I have always been the kind of person who isn't afraid of working with my hands and learning from my mistakes. My sewing machine is a 1930 singer model 66. Its a good old workhorse that does a straight stitch only. It isn't beefy enough to go through the hdpe but it will go through quite a bit of nylon layers.

I decided to go with a 23" frame, I have a 21" torso and it would be a perfect height for busting brush and not get in the way, and still have shoulder lift.

Materials:
500d cordura
2 inch nylon webbing
1 inch nylon webbing
.063" hdpe frame sheet
Aluminum stays
#69 bonded nylon thread
3mm coyote spacer mesh
1 inch open cell foam
1 inch grosgrain binding tape
1 inch and 2 inch hook and loop
1 inch looplocs
1 inch ladderlocks
7/16" grommets

Please ignore the stitching, I apparently can't sew a straight line to save my life.

The project turned out functional and not pretty, kinda like me. I learned a ton and I also learned how much I don't know, which is a lot. I like sewing, and I am already planning my next project.

To finish the project and make it structurally more substanstial I picked up a speedy stitcher sewing awl to punch through the hdpe. I noticed that when the curved stays were added and the frame took shape the concave side of the frame the cordura started pulling away. It worked fantastic and I wish I had it a while ago, its great for repairs too. I am gonna pick up a smaller needle for it so I can use the #69 bonded nylon thread with it because the large needle punches a whopper of a hole through.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

WoodBow

WKR
Nice work man. That pretty part just comes with doing it more. I'm ashamed of some of my first projects now looking back. Laying out your stitch lines with a fabric pencil will help a lot if you are not doing that.

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, I was going to ask about the fabric pencil too since I noticed that the guys on the build-along thread were doing that.

All in all a really great job, I hope my first attempt looks as good as that!

OP
doncarpenter
Here is my next project. By the time I heard of Kifaru the back pouch was already discontinued, so I though I would take a shot at it. I had no idea what the dimensions were so i made it 12" x 7" x 3". It actually ended up being a little smaller than that due to the edge binding. I used Kifarus dock and lock mounting (compression) and their 3-bar slider mounting. I don't know anything about coil zippers so I just picked up an 18" coil zipper from joann fabrics. I wish it had two pulls on the zipper but until crack that nut this will work. I added two slot pockets, one on the front and one on the back. All in all it took about 3 hours of work. Here is the finished product.

OP
doncarpenter
I would never think of trying to sell anything I sew to make a profit. (Not that anyone would want to buy this either) Just having fun and making stuff for myself.

welpro222

WKR
Well, someone needs to come up with a adjustable frame height attachment for the 22 inch duplex frame. That way you can just buy a 22 inch frame and make it what ever height you need.

What you did to the "back pouch" that you made is what Kifaru should do to all their pockets. Similar to the spotting scope pocket and belt pockets. It's much quicker than PALS.

OP
doncarpenter
How do those three bar slider things work for mounting?
You turn them sideways and slide them under the pals webbing then turn them the right way which basically makes a "T" then the lower side gets the same but the "T"'s are going the opposite direction. It works great, the smart people at Kifaru come up with some great designs.