DIY custom sleeping bag

Traindriver

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone made their own custom sleeping bag? Was just curious if the work is worth the savings? I looks like the materials are ver economical, compared to spending $500+ for a really nice lightweight warm bag.

TaperPin

WKR
If you could come up with a good one that would be awesome - a lot of people would be interested in your pattern.

Good bags have seams and baffles that overlap as little as possible - I’ve considered it, but the pattern is more complicated than appears on the surface…

At least for me, the time involved would have been substantial.

As for synthetics, its my understanding the fill is not the same as the generic stuff - another reason it seemed like all the work might end up with a result no better in performance to a $99 Chinese bag.

Down is outside my wheel house - I wouldn’t have any idea what makes good light down vs crap feathers in a pillow.

mcr-85

WKR
I made a diy quilt. No bells and whistles. I think it was either 7.5 oz or 10 oz apex. I sewed the bottom into a footbox and just wrap up in it. It is nothing like a professional sewed sleeping bag or quilt but I haven't died using it yet. I've had it on late October backpack hunts in the snow and it works great for me.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

OP
Traindriver

Traindriver

Lil-Rokslider
I made a diy quilt. No bells and whistles. I think it was either 7.5 oz or 10 oz apex. I sewed the bottom into a footbox and just wrap up in it. It is nothing like a professional sewed sleeping bag or quilt but I haven't died using it yet. I've had it on late October backpack hunts in the snow and it works great for me.

I have a Therma rest esper... Something and love it for the season you are referring to.

Id really like to make a bag for some colder, wetter seasons. Like mid December.... Id like to build one that my pad can slip into, and will hold my pillow in the hood. I always seem to slide off the pad and lose the pillow no matter how flat I am.

Here's a question for you, How many patterns did you go through before you pulled it off successfully?

mcr-85

WKR
I have a Therma rest esper... Something and love it for the season you are referring to.

Id really like to make a bag for some colder, wetter seasons. Like mid December.... Id like to build one that my pad can slip into, and will hold my pillow in the hood. I always seem to slide off the pad and lose the pillow no matter how flat I am.

Here's a question for you, How many patterns did you go through before you pulled it off successfully?
I sewed up one for me and one for a buddy. I had extra material so I made a mini version for my little boy. I don't think I used a pattern. I tapered it, wider at the top and a little narrower at the bottom. Sewed the footbox shut and that was that.

BDRam16

WKR
Thought about doing a quilt but with the price of down it is almost not worth it. You’re going to be at least $150-200ish in just down to get to a 20*ish bag. I thought about buying a cheap, older 0* down bag to rob the filling out but decided it wasn’t worth the time.

Thought about doing a quilt but with the price of down it is almost not worth it. You’re going to be at least $150-200ish in just down to get to a 20*ish bag. I thought about buying a cheap, older 0* down bag to rob the filling out but decided it wasn’t worth the time.

Sort of where I'm at. For cold weather (20 and under) I've got my high quality commercially made sleeping bag. But I thought it might be nice to have a quilt for warmer; weather (overnight lows 40 and up), so I might give that a shot. Less down fill, or going with synthetic, should do the trick to make it cost effective. Plus the pride of having made your own gear.

Erict

WKR
I made a DIY Apex quilt after looking over a bunch of the Ripstopbytheroll projects "library". It was my first attempt at a large item and also first using thick synthetic insulation. Keeping the entire project "square" is easier said than done. Sewing through several layers of slippery outer fabric and a thick layer of insulation took quite a bit of trial and error before figuring out a good system that worked with my machine.

The project was a great experience, but took many, many hours longer than expected. If your time is money then may want to just buy a bag. Good luck.