DIY gamebag fabric

Idaboy

WKR
Found an older thread on this with some insight....anyone else have updated thoughts for DIY gamebag fabric?

I'm not sure this will qualify as updated and I don't make my own, but my favorite set of reusable game bags is made of Breathable Ripstop Polyester. It's seems more durable than Ripstop Nylon, is very lightweight and washes clean easily.

OP
Idaboy

Idaboy

WKR
I'm not sure this will qualify as updated and I don't make my own, but my favorite set of reusable game bags is made of Breathable Ripstop Polyester. It's seems more durable than Ripstop Nylon, is very lightweight and washes clean easily.
Do you have specific brand or vendor, or example of "breathable" ripstop?

CMF

WKR
I'm interested in this as well.
Also any links to the cord, and little plastic springy things that the cord runs thru and keeps em shut.... I'm sure there's a name for them, but I don't know it.

OP
Idaboy

Idaboy

WKR
I'm interested in this as well.
Also any links to the cord, and little plastic springy things that the cord runs thru and keeps em shut.... I'm sure there's a name for them, but I don't know it.
Ripstop by the roll and other companies like them like rockywoods have them

Thanks, yeah I asked RSBTR and they rec 1.6 HyperD
Yeah, the 1.6 HyperD is what I settled on as a great compromise between weight and durability hammocks too. I found 1.1 oz nylon way too fragile.

I also sew some reflective tabs around the bag to make finding them easier at night.

For closure I just make a rolled hem tube for some 3mm accessory cord and then drop two loops around the fabric forming a clove hitch. Boom done and burly

CMF

WKR
Did anyone make different sizes for anticipated cuts to separate parts? (elk)Like a bag for backstrap and loins?
Either way, What size did you make them?

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider
@CMF I have only sketched up a few prototypes, but ended up just trying to copy Black Ovis's dimensions since those are the bags I currently have and I like the size of them. I was trying to optimize the shape a bit, but realized I could be quickly SOL if I killed something bigger than I anticipated.

4 quarter bags 21" x 38"
1 meat parts bag 15" x 28"

CMF

WKR
@CMF I have only sketched up a few prototypes, but ended up just trying to copy Black Ovis's dimensions since those are the bags I currently have and I like the size of them. I was trying to optimize the shape a bit, but realized I could be quickly SOL if I killed something bigger than I anticipated.

4 quarter bags 21" x 38"
1 meat parts bag 15" x 28"
The existing ones I have are from ebay, two different sets and sizes, I'll have to measure, but they are for boned out meat. I'll pretty much always be deboning unless I can drive within a few hundred yards. One set is about the same width as my pack frame and seems to sit nice on the frame, the other is wider and I feel like the meat is more likely to bunch at the bottom and get too heavy before it's full. I'll probably copy the size of the narrower ones.

Anyone make a separate bag for hauling sand around in the off-season? I'm just using game bags, but thinking I might wear them out.

4 King size cotton pillow cases
2 medium cotton pillow cases
A buddy of mine out west turned me onto that idea. They worked fine. I added extra stitching to account for the weight factor

Fire_9

WKR
4 King size cotton pillow cases
2 medium cotton pillow cases
A buddy of mine out west turned me onto that idea. They worked fine. I added extra stitching to account for the weight factor
They are not the same as what is being discussed. They work but there are better options…

Yes to building a sand bag for training.I used the rubberized canvas that highway truck tarps are made from. Made it with a roll top.

Reactions: CMF

strousek

Lil-Rokslider
I used the MONOLITE fabric from RSBTR and they work awesome. The mono fabric breathes well and was very easy to sew. Seems to clean up easy with a cold water soak. I sewed in grosgrain ribbon tabs to help with pulling on and off meat. Also used reflective pull cord for the closure. I used Argali bags for years and these seem to be just as good at a fraction of the price.

Stitch

FNG
I've never used that fabric. Do you think it's strong enough to support a quarter hanging?

yggdrasil

FNG
I can echo that the 1.1 nylon from RSBTR is a little too "light". The weight of a quarter in the bags I made slowly started pulling the stitching through the fabric causing some fraying. I ended up sewing grosgrain ribbon along all my seams to reinforce them after noticing this. Having to add the ribbon kind of defeated the benefit of the ultralight fabric. Once my current generation of DIY bags is exhausted I will go up to 1.9 most likely.

Stitch

FNG
I can echo that the 1.1 nylon from RSBTR is a little too "light". The weight of a quarter in the bags I made slowly started pulling the stitching through the fabric causing some fraying. I ended up sewing grosgrain ribbon along all my seams to reinforce them after noticing this. Having to add the ribbon kind of defeated the benefit of the ultralight fabric. Once my current generation of DIY bags is exhausted I will go up to 1.9 most likely.
That's just what I was looking for. Thank you.