DIY silicone fabric waterproofing

I’m working on a diy tipi tent. To save a considerable amount of money, I’m planning to buy non-coated ripstop, and then silicone treat it myself.

I’ve done some self sealing, and this is the second tent I’ve made. The big question is with the treating process.

Should I sew it and then treat, or treat the fabric and then build the tent?

I’m planning to use a 1:3 silicone to mineral spirit mix and either soak the tent/fabric, or apply it with a roller and then squeegee the extra off to save weight.

Bwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
Could you do both? I always find seam sealing to be difficult when the tent is set up. It becomes messy and just takes way too long. But if you’re able to treat everything before you put it together, that sounds like the way to go.

OP
T
Could you do both? I always find seam sealing to be difficult when the tent is set up. It becomes messy and just takes way too long. But if you’re able to treat everything before you put it together, that sounds like the way to go.

That’s a good idea. Guess I’ll have to do the seams after. But likely easier to do fabric before. I’m trying to concoct a setup in my head to make the process easier. Something like a dual squeegee system to pull the fabric through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WoodBow

WKR
Saving a considerable amount of money? I don't remember there being much difference at all in price of coated versus uncoated. You can buy PU coated ripstop on eBay for quite cheap. I would highly discourage you from coating it yourself. And I have done it. I diluted my silicone until I could spray it on with a spray bottle. Mine always felt kind of grippy/tacky and I didn't care for that.
86bbd71d155acc9261d9c6307fb0a447.jpg
c0975689d1e3194dead72924f8f18472.jpg
8a368e04679900928afc95bf75e97529.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider
I’d also recommend shopping for cheap coated ripstop. It’ll save you a lot of trouble just based on my experience seam sealing.

If you do opt for treating all the fabric, I vote applying to the completed and pitched tipi. Get it pretty thin and then apply with a paint brush or roller like you suggest. If you apply it to the fabric initially and then sew, I’d be afraid it could gum up your machine.

Good luck!

….. Mine always felt kind of grippy/tacky and I didn't care for that.
Same here, it will also collect dust. The pre-silicone coated fabric is slippery as all get out- zero tackiness. I don’t think you will get near a similar outcome by coating it yourself, if that matters to you.

Post up your results if you go through with. Definitely interested in how it turn out. Experimenting is fun.

OP
T
Same here, it will also collect dust. The pre-silicone coated fabric is slippery as all get out- zero tackiness. I don’t think you will get near a similar outcome by coating it yourself, if that matters to you.

Post up your results if you go through with. Definitely interested in how it turn out. Experimenting is fun.

Fabric is already on the way so I’ll update as it goes. I can get ripstop for literally Pennys per yard, so it is going to be significantly cheaper for me to attempt my own. If nothing else it’ll be a fun experiment!

cnelk

WKR

Pro tip.
The best way to seam seal a tent/tipi is to set it up inside out. Then you can seal the seams while standing inside the tent/tipi

OP
T
Pro tip.
The best way to seam seal a tent/tipi is to set it up inside out. Then you can seal the seams while standing inside the tent/tipi

Well this isn’t just seams. This is the entire fabric. Being converted from standard ripstop nylon to silnylon by impregnating it with silicone. I think brushing it on will take far too long.

cnelk

WKR
Well this isn’t just seams. This is the entire fabric. Being converted from standard ripstop nylon to silnylon by impregnating it with silicone. I think brushing it on will take far too long.

I realize that.
I was replying to the guy who had difficulty seam sealing. ;)

OP
T
For those curious, here’s the plan so far.

-I ordered 74 yards of 70 denier nylon for $1/yd shipped
- once it arrives, I’ll likely cut this in half or thirds to make it more user friendly.
- from there I plan to mix silicone and mineral spirits in a 5 gallon bucket at 15:1 or so ratio(still deciding(I’ll do this using a paint mixer and power drill as I know it is tricky to mix them properly)
- next I’ll stuff the fabric into the bucket, which I will then attach to my tractors rim, and drive aimlessly around the farm for several minutes, basically creating a diy washer and agitator
- back at the barn I’ll spread out a large plastic drop cloth to prevent dirt and remove
- this step is still tricky, as I’m going to build a 60” wide squeegee to pull the fabric through, removing extra liquid and creating an even coat
- I’ll hang it to dry for several days

For those curious, here’s the plan so far.

-I ordered 74 yards of 70 denier nylon for $1/yd shipped
- once it arrives, I’ll likely cut this in half or thirds to make it more user friendly.
- from there I plan to mix silicone and mineral spirits in a 5 gallon bucket at 15:1 or so ratio(still deciding(I’ll do this using a paint mixer and power drill as I know it is tricky to mix them properly)
- next I’ll stuff the fabric into the bucket, which I will then attach to my tractors rim, and drive aimlessly around the farm for several minutes, basically creating a diy washer and agitator
- back at the barn I’ll spread out a large plastic drop cloth to prevent dirt and remove
- this step is still tricky, as I’m going to build a 60” wide squeegee to pull the fabric through, removing extra liquid and creating an even coat
- I’ll hang it to dry for several days

This is a good idea. I may go look for the already treated fabric and make me some tarps.