DIY glassing mittens

feanor

WKR
I’ve seen some deer hide gloves sewn here before, but wondering if anybody has done some synthetic or down mittens specifically for glassing and being stationary for long periods.

ROJO23

FNG
I made some out of cordura, ripstop, and apex, I sandwiched the insulation between 2 pieces of ripstop. They are lined with fleece, so working outside in
cordura, ripstop, apex insulation, ripstop, and fleece. they are super warm and I made them big enough so they slip on easy. i added the ripstop to help with wind.

Erict

WKR
I started making a pair using this PATTERN and using silpoly or silnylon. It seemed like a good starting point to make improvements to. I got one cut out and realized that the sizes are way small and I wasted fabric. When I get back in to it, I'll use some cheap-azz fabric to test the size and shape and when it's good I'll use the good fabric.

Here is one other PATTERN that can be altered to suit your needs.

OP
feanor

feanor

WKR
I made some out of cordura, ripstop, and apex, I sandwiched the insulation between 2 pieces of ripstop. They are lined with fleece, so working outside in
cordura, ripstop, apex insulation, ripstop, and fleece. they are super warm and I made them big enough so they slip on easy. i added the ripstop to help with wind.
Well post up some photos already!

OP
feanor

feanor

WKR
I started making a pair using this PATTERN and using silpoly or silnylon. It seemed like a good starting point to make improvements to. I got one cut out and realized that the sizes are way small and I wasted fabric. When I get back in to it, I'll use some cheap-azz fabric to test the size and shape and when it's good I'll use the good fabric.

Here is one other PATTERN that can be altered to suit your needs.
We’re you using climashield or a similar synthetic ?

Erict

WKR
Climashield. I remember how much fun it was doing a simple quilt with the same stuff, can only imagine how much fun it will be trying to sew fabric/insulation/fabric/fabric/insulation/fabric together along shared seams.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hell yes, if you make it I would buy it. Would love to be able to fine dial a spotting scope or binoculars w/out having to remove a mitten. Good idea!
I picked up some old fashioned pattens for mittens, rain gear, and stuff to go old school with new fabrics, and add the tweaks to make it useful to me hunting. Eventually....

Reactions: NB7

ROJO23

FNG
So here are the ones I made. I sandwiched the apex between ripstop then the outside is Cordura and inside is fleece. The pattern I have is made of 3 pieces Super warm

IMG_5367.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5366.jpeg
    IMG_5366.jpeg
    238.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_5365.jpeg
    IMG_5365.jpeg
    342.1 KB · Views: 47

ROJO23

FNG
I made them a little big and the slip on and off easy. I do a lot of tree stand hunting in VA so they are easy to get off to take a shot

OP
feanor

feanor

WKR
I ended up getting some Montane Aloine mittens on sale at camp saver. They look ridiculously large and puffy, but could be the ticket. I really wanted to make some of my own, but like @hereinaz said, no time!

Loper

WKR
I ended up getting some Montane Aloine mittens on sale at camp saver. They look ridiculously large and puffy, but could be the ticket. I really wanted to make some of my own, but like @hereinaz said, no time!

Are these the ones you bought? If so, what size did you get?

OP
feanor

feanor

WKR
Are these the ones you bought? If so, what size did you get?

Yep I got them in XL for layering , but also because it’s unisex and sometimes I think they run on the small side. I’ll report back when I get them.

I've been thinking about making something like this to be able to easily slip a hand out to shoot.