DIY Kifaru Tut Tipi!

Hall256

WKR
I honestly haven't looked at how to share the file but I'll draw something up with the dimensions written on it. Super simple design. Hall 256- I am into it about $150, from Kifaru it is $650. So definitely a substantial savings.

The large tipi is going to be brutal but I gained a ton of confidence after doing the Tut. Honestly was not that bad. There are some other guys on here with more skills than myself that have said the same thing. Just some patience and a mind that functions in 3D is all you really need.

I used my wifes Bernina 131 sewing machine, apparently it is pretty high end but I know nothing about that aspect. It was flawless and made me feel like I knew what I was doing even though I probably still don't haha.

$150...that is awesome.

reaper

WKR
That looks pretty good, I am not sure if I would have the skill to pull it off. A question though, how much did all the materials cost you? I am assuming the savings were quite substantial if you are thinking of doing a larger tipi.
For your first projet you totally nailed it...really nice job.Do you have a picture of the peak,did you double it up?one inside/one outside?What is the sketchup version you use?

Envoyé de mon E6560C en utilisant Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
C

Ctalboom

FNG
For your first projet you totally nailed it...really nice job.Do you have a picture of the peak,did you double it up?one inside/one outside?What is the sketchup version you use?

Envoyé de mon E6560C en utilisant Tapatalk

Thank you Reaper! I am pretty stoked with how it all turned out. I just set it up and seam sealed it all today and took some more photos.

b8f3f3c3f436c877ca0b5e081e75d8ce.jpg

The peak I just sewed all of the triangles together all the way to the top and then sewed a circle piece of the HyperD 300 over the top to reinforce it. Thought about one on the inside also but I don't think it's necessary.

13ce6ac62c690d2e13b7a7f48f211888.jpg

Here is the front open and the two mats that I made inside.

db1cd069f27266d159840ce369f4a8fb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

Ctalboom

FNG
Oh and I just used the free basic Sketchup that you can download on the Internet.

WoodBow

WKR
Nice job man.

A 12-16 man will definitely be a significant undertaking. I built one about equivalent to a kifaru 8 man and it was a big project.

Berninas are very nice machines and not cheap.

OP
C

Ctalboom

FNG
Thank you for the kind words everyone! Yes, Woodbow it will be a giant project! I think as long as I break it down in to pieces and take my time that it will be doable. Yes the Bernina is super nice, I knew nothing about machines until I started the project and did some research. It is extremely smooth and quiet and never once broke a thread.

NHBacon

FNG
Can anybody explain the difference between an 8 sided DIY teepee over a 4 sided teepee? I'm starting to bat things around in my head. I've also messed with a 12x12 tarp pinning the back 2 corners and pinning the front 2 in the middle. Essentially a 3 sided teepee. For 1p possibly 2p the 3 sided has some room. Decisions, decisions
Thank you and great job

OP
C

Ctalboom

FNG
Can anybody explain the difference between an 8 sided DIY teepee over a 4 sided teepee? I'm starting to bat things around in my head. I've also messed with a 12x12 tarp pinning the back 2 corners and pinning the front 2 in the middle. Essentially a 3 sided teepee. For 1p possibly 2p the 3 sided has some room. Decisions, decisions
Thank you and great job

I went with the 4 sided because I was nervous the 8 sided would be more difficult for my first project. I also feel that the square allows more usable space since humans, backpacks, and other gear fit like rectangles essentially. That way you get the most usable space for the weight. The four sides also allows for the walls to be staked out giving you a more vertical wall and therefore usable space. You can literally sleep right against the wall because of this. You could do it with the 8 sided but the walls will act a little differently. You can kind of tell in this photo.
0d711835f17a31a5265299187d3b90ca.jpg

weaver

WKR
if these things are so easy to make why the hell do they charge so much for em!!!
Good work man looks slick.
If you want to sell it.........haha
Quality of materials....There are definitely less expensive options that work for most guys.

AdamW

WKR
Dude you are insane! That's awesome!

Quality of materials....There are definitely less expensive options that work for most guys.

Time as well. Some would say "take my hourly rate x the hours it took to sew it and it is cheaper to buy one..." Making stuff is so cool when it goes right.

Nice work man, it really turned out solid. Very impressive.

Last edited:

Willow

FNG
if these things are so easy to make why the hell do they charge so much for em!!!
Good work man looks slick.
If you want to sell it.........haha
Time is the main reason for the cost of plain colors like this one. The material is exactly the same unless the manufacturer uses some kind of proprietary blended material. The expensive material comes when you move into the military camo such as Multicam, A-TACS, Kryptek, etc. To put it another way, I could double my salary if I went to flip burgers.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

JP100

WKR
Time is the main reason for the cost of plain colors like this one. The material is exactly the same unless the manufacturer uses some kind of proprietary blended material. The expensive material comes when you move into the military camo such as Multicam, A-TACS, Kryptek, etc. To put it another way, I could double my salary if I went to flip burgers.

Oh yea there's time that goes into it. But if you have a factory set up and sew for a living you would be alot faster.
They just seem so expensive for what they are

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Willow

FNG
Oh yea there's time that goes into it. But if you have a factory set up and sew for a living you would be alot faster.
They just seem so expensive for what they are

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Well if you have enough sales to have a factory you also have lots of overhead to pay. Employees, insurance, and rent will take the majority. But that's not to say that some manufacturers are not priced high.

But I do want to point out that there's a big difference in mass produced products vs hand sewn custom products. I get sticker shock from customers some times. I just think they forget that my products are all hand sewn by one guy, me!

OP
C

Ctalboom

FNG
Thanks fellas! Yeah it definitely takes some time and like someone stated having a setup for these you could pump them out. But there aren't very many people willing to make stuff on their own, don't have the tools, or don't trust themselves. So everyone stays in business. I just couldn't afford to buy one haha and my spare time in the evenings didn't cost me anything so it was a good option for me!

Willow

FNG
Thanks fellas! Yeah it definitely takes some time and like someone stated having a setup for these you could pump them out. But there aren't very many people willing to make stuff on their own, don't have the tools, or don't trust themselves. So everyone stays in business. I just couldn't afford to buy one haha and my spare time in the evenings didn't cost me anything so it was a good option for me!

That's exactly how I wound up making tarps and other gear. 5 years ago I wanted a Multicam cantilever tarp and couldn't find one. So I made one. Then people started asking me to make one for them. So beware...Lol!

Muledeerfanatic I think the foot wider would be awesome for this shelter. I may be making one at my mom's this spring/summer in Rock Springs