Do it all backpack recommendations

I'm not sure it exists, but I'm looking for a day pack, meat hauler, and 3-4 day backcountry hunting pack. I have had my eye on the Exo K3 4800, but am not sure it will cinch down enough to be comfortable as a day pack. The pack will be primarily used as a day pack, but I usually carry a spotting scope and tripod in my daypack, as well as extra water and a jetboil in colder months out chukar hunting. I primarily hunt elk, mule deer, antelope, and upland game in Nevada, and would like a pack I can use for all of them. Am I crazy wanting one pack for everything? Is anyone else running a similar setup?

bsnedeker

WKR
I think the majority of dudes use one pack for everything so I'm not sure why you think you are looking for a unicorn...lol.

I have basically always used a 7000+ cubic inch pack and 90% of the time I'm hunting it's just day hunting. I cinch it down for day hunting, but have plenty of room for going deep for as long as I want to.

I would say an exo 4800 would fit the bill for this nicely if you like that pack.

OP
nvhunter82
I think the majority of dudes use one pack for everything so I'm not sure why you think you are looking for a unicorn...lol.

I have basically always used a 7000+ cubic inch pack and 90% of the time I'm hunting it's just day hunting. I cinch it down for day hunting, but have plenty of room for going deep for as long as I want to.

I would say an exo 4800 would fit the bill for this nicely if you like that pack.
Cool, yeah all of the guys I've hunted with over the years have run small, compact day packs, and the frame packs stayed at camp until needed. Next year will be my first year multi-day backpack hunting. Usually we setup camp and hunt from there, occasionally spending a night in the dirt out of our daypacks when we get up a mountain we want to be on top of at first light.

ThisIsMyHandle

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll throw my pack into the mix here. I have the mystery ranch sawtooth 45. I’ve used it as a day pack all year. It’s very roomy, has a load shelf and is comfortable with weight. After I got it last winter I put a 45 lb bag of sand in it for my hikes and it was very comfortable. My version of comfortable could be different than other peoples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bracer40

Lil-Rokslider
I'd venture to guess (based on all the pack reviews and "what pack should I buy" posts, that most of the higher end pack manufacturers packs can be your "one pack for everything."
I've been using my KUIU 7K purchased used for 4-5 years now. Day hunt from the rig, back pack with it, hauled multiple elk with it.
I agree there are better packs, but mine has been great.
Others: EXO, Mystery Ranch, Kifaru, Stone Glacier.....

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
I use a stone glacier evo 3300 for up to 5 day trips and as a daily driver. Cinches down really well and you can add an exterior pocket which I use for food when a trip gets over 3 nights

I'm not sure it exists, but I'm looking for a day pack, meat hauler, and 3-4 day backcountry hunting pack. I have had my eye on the Exo K3 4800, but am not sure it will cinch down enough to be comfortable as a day pack. The pack will be primarily used as a day pack, but I usually carry a spotting scope and tripod in my daypack, as well as extra water and a jetboil in colder months out chukar hunting. I primarily hunt elk, mule deer, antelope, and upland game in Nevada, and would like a pack I can use for all of them. Am I crazy wanting one pack for everything? Is anyone else running a similar setup?
Pretty darn happy with my Eberle F1 (tall) mainframe and batwing setup. I've used it for everything you described. Even though it's the tall version, it works surprisingly well as a day pack. With the new lightweight bags they have out, it is even more versatile. I'm planning to get one of those for my off-season backpack camping trips.

cburgin72

Lil-Rokslider
A lot of people like the Stryker XL from Kifaru. Add a few pockets to it if you need more room. Personally, i have a hoodlum and really like it. I had a reckoning and really liked that one as well. All of their packs can cinch down to nearly flat if in day pack mode.

CO-AJ

WKR
If it fits you, Exo is my vote. I have the Exo K3 6400 and can cinch it down well enough to be a day pack. I have an Eberlestock as well which I can use, but the 6400 is a much nicer pack. You won't go wrong with Exo.

My choice was a Kifaru Hunting Platform Frame And Suspension in coyote w/ Cargo Panel, two small belt pouches and two large pouches (that attach to the Cargo Panel if/when needed), and a Guide Lid all in Mandrake. Also has a Gunbearer and hanging hydration bladder. This cuts four pounds off my pack weight (compared to the DT1) which is almost half. At an estimated 13lbs (including water and kill kit, rainsuit and other stuff in pouches I am able to move around fairly well. If I need to haul a load (gear or elk) I just compress it between the frame and Cargo Panel. I can trek light but won’t hafta make a trip to the truck to get a freighter to haul meat…it’ll already be on my back. I can fit all my spike camp gear and a week of meals in the 55L dry bag. Compresses to nothing w/o the bag. I think it’s the quintessential rig. Stole the idea from Aron at Kifaru. <g>

[/URL
]

[URL=http://s246.photobucket.com/user/BC9696/media/KIFARUPACK1_zpsmtdmzost.jpg.html][/URL
]

[URL=http://s246.photobucket.com/user/BC9696/media/KIFARUPACK2_zpsrgfdaxwi.jpg.html][/URL
]

[URL=http://s246.photobucket.com/user/BC9696/media/KIFARUPACK3_zpsdewho5sj.jpg.html]

[/URL
]

meta_gabbro

Lil-Rokslider
I dig the Seek Outside Peregrine for a general purpose bag. Not too heavy, compresses well enough for single-day trips (or you can remove the pack body and use the frame with one of the daypack units), hell of a meat hauler, and it's roomy enough for a 5 night trip (maybe only 4 if your shoulder season is rough). The massive side pouches work well as game sacks during rabbit hunts so I imagine they could fill the same role on a bird hunt too.

fj40mike

FNG
I'll toss my Seek Outside pack into the mix, I have the fortress 4800. I think it's one of the lightest packs out there for the size, under 4 lbs, which is very important to me. The lighter the load, the further I can go in the mtns...I've used it for single and multi-day hunts. The fortress is one of their more basic packs, without many frills. I've found that I don't need a lot of pockets, zippers, and accessories. They are unnecessary, prone to failure, and weigh the pack down. The fortress has a meat shelf, main pack compartment, side water bottle/tripod holders, and 1 small removable lid like pouch. The main bag is also removable, if you just want to use the frame to haul meat.

I've found it to be very durable and comfortable. The material is also waterproof, so no need for an extra rain cover like some other packs.

Their packs are rated for 200lbs+, so definitely not lightweight in capability.

My current do-it-all pack (aka, the only pack I own) is a Kifaru Mountain Warrior (5750ci/94L) on a Duplex Hunter frame. It cinches down small enough for use as a day pack but also has plenty of capacity for multi-day trips, especially if I add my Longhunter lid for an extra 1000ci/16L. I also have a homemade cargo net for carrying awkward/bulky loads like a treestand and for hauling meat if I want to keep blood off my bag.

hunting1

WKR
My current do-it-all pack (aka, the only pack I own) is a Kifaru Mountain Warrior (5750ci/94L) on a Duplex Hunter frame. It cinches down small enough for use as a day pack but also has plenty of capacity for multi-day trips, especially if I add my Longhunter lid for an extra 1000ci/16L. I also have a homemade cargo net for carrying awkward/bulky loads like a treestand and for hauling meat if I want to keep blood off my bag.
IMHO the Mountain Warrior was Kifaru's best pack they have made! Too bad they discontinued it, hope I don't wear mine out.

Fedster

FNG
Any well made light weight and strong external frame backpack with different bags will meet your requirements. I use a Seek Outside frame and different seek outside bags -- the frame with my old peregrine (smaller than the current one) is my EDC. As long as you find a frame/suspension that works well it is just a matter of switching bags depending on the use.