Do these exist?

kad11

WKR
Does anyone know if a boot meeting these specs exists?

- mostly synthetic, quick drying
- lightweight
- durable but flexible sole (minimal/ no shank)
- rubber rand
- wide forefoot (most European models are too narrow)

I think I'm basically looking for something like a Salewa Crow or Sportiva Trango minus the rigid sole and narrow forefoot.

The lasts on Oboz Bridgers and Kenetrek Mtn Extremes fit my feet extremely well.

JDZ

WKR
Sounds to me like you're describing almost any model of Keen, Salomon, or Merrell. What am I missing?

OP
kad11

kad11

WKR
Sounds to me like you're describing almost any model of Keen, Salomon, or Merrell. What am I missing?

Those companies use soft soles that get chewed up really quickly in shale. Plus the lack of a rand means the lower portion of the boot gets shredded as well.

I should have provided more info, but I'm looking for a boot for the Beartooths in south central MT. Shale and granite for days...

I've found that I move much better through that country with a flexible hiker, but they're literally missing chunks of sole and fabric after a week long trip.

I lose foot and ankle flexion with stiff mountain boots and, therefore, expend a lot more energy stumbling/ trying to keep my footing. I know conventional wisdom and tons of guys with way more experience than me prefer stiff boots in steep semi-technical terrain, but I really struggle with them...

Lowa Cevedales is what I run for what you're talking about. I did need to use a boot stretcher to open the toe box a little more to my liking. They are a stiffer boot however. Salomon Quest 4D's are a closer option to what you're looking for and don't require the stretching. They were toast after a 12 day sheep hunt so that could get a little spendy. The Kenetreks fit my feet well out of the box too.

The foot fitter boot stretcher was the best $50 I've spent when it comes to boots.

Asolo Fugitives check those boxes I think and are offered in wide. I’ve always had a pair in rotation for 12 years or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk