Do you ALWAYS filter/treat your water??

almost NEVER..... But pack my filter ALWAYS! Why? Probably because I am super lazy. Knock on wood.... safe so far. Most of the time I am drinking out of high mountain springs and not streams if that makes a difference (it always does in my head for some reason hahaha)

rodney482

WKR
All water I consume goes through a katadyn

I also pack hand sanitizer...

Getting sick in the backcountry is not fun and can ruin a very expensive trip.

Like others have said it depends on the location and water source. I was on a early June backpacking/ scouting trip high in the sierra's last year and we drank dirrectly from a clear cold stream that was pure snow melt. If I had any doubts I would treat with tablets. I also read an article somewhere that a very high percentage of giardia cases actually come from people not washing their hands after they use nature's restroom and not from the water they are drinking.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I have only filtered a couple times. Most places I just dip and drink. Most city water has more contamination than water in the wilderness.

littlebuf

Banned
I would only filter I think if I knew I was going some where with a particulate full water source, or really stagnate water. I don't even own a filter,I much prefer treatment. Simpler to just fill up and put in some drops, plus less to carry. one trip last year I was getting my water from a little pool coming out of the hill side and by little I mean like 1 foot by 2 foot and maybe 8" deep. there was a nice little family of frogs living in it and aquamira was all I used. never so much as got a stomach ache. that's great stuff and easy to pack

MAT

Lil-Rokslider
Since I'm a hydrogeologist I lke to think I know a safe water source when I see it. Last year in CO I knew the location of a spring and didn't carry the filter. If you are reasonably sure it's a spring and not the re-emergence of a stream that livestock (or elk) played in its safe. Also look for springs along creek banks, sometimes you have to dig them out. Part of the appeal of bivy hunting for me is finding good water, but water is my life so call me crazy. Some of the best tasting water I've had came from mountain springs, would be a shame to ruin it with a filter!

mae1993

FNG
I have drank out of some horrible places and knock on wood nothing yet but I have started filtering some water. I know a couple guys who have had beaver fever not fun, but I think it has to do with growing up in a place and maybe your body growing an immune to some of the things that effect other people.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't see a reason NOT to filter...the set ups we have been using with the sawyer inline filter make it super easy to filter as I drink. Sure the risk is low, but the filter hardly weighs anything, and I would sure hate to get sick in the backcountry over something as stupid as failing to filter. Or worse yet having my whole year (or life!) sidelined by giardia or some other nasty bug. My sister contracted shigella from untreated water when she lived in south America (not a common bug here in the US), and it took her the better part of a year to kick it even with a strong course of antibiotics. Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal cramping, muscle wasting/weight loss....definitely not my idea of a good time.

With regard to the sawyer filters, we try to blow the water out of them and keep them warm when we are in freezing temps. In really cold weather we use a steripen...

That being said, if I were ever in a situation where I was stuck somewhere without filtration of any kind I would take my chances....in a survival situation dehydration will kill you way sooner than any bug you might contract.

I always filter water here in Colo. Some times it might be ok to skip the filter but like most have said just not worth the risk...

OR Archer

WKR
NO exceptions. I always filter. I know people who have had girardhia and they are still suffering the effects of it many years later.

Wrongside

WKR
Usually. The country we hunt elk in has a few springs, and that water doesn't get filtered.

I don't like the chemicals, taste and principal, in my water. And always used to hate pumping with my MSR, that's where the Sawyer inline rocks, just fill the Camelbak and go.

Usually I have enough water and don't need refills when I'm out hunting but when I do I don't filter. Part of the reson is because I don't have anything to filter. I should get something to filter it.

Biggs300

Lil-Rokslider
I always filter. I use a Sawyer Squeeze and MSR Mini and it doesn't take much time to filter enough for a day of hunting. You never know what might roll in upstream and I just don't want to take a chance of messing up a good outing.