Do you hunt alone

Fatcamp

WKR
I hunt with my wife. She is not as strong as I am and ends up in camp alot. That said, she is an amazing partner. Always does her share of the work and is very passionate about being in wild, remote places. I hunt alone but she is always willing to come help me dress game and pack.

Best of both worlds I think. Downsides=she won't go to grizzly country and backpack trips may never happen. I'm ok with that.

Tom_

Lil-Rokslider
Other than a trip or two a year, I'm solo. All my Whitetail is that way. I don't mind but do miss having someone to share the experiences. Most of my better friends have relocated and the other guys can't get out of bed on time.

Whitetoptom

Lil-Rokslider
I like doing both. I find that the solo trips are far less stressful in many ways. When solo I hike when i want to, take a break when i want to, camp where i want to, hunt how and where I want to, etc. I will be with my best friend next weekend for an overnight archery backpack hunt. We have a great time together. The rest of the weekends in october will be solo as far as I know now. I have found over the past few years the vast majority of my successful hunts are solo.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

OP
RichP

RichP

Lil-Rokslider
More often than not I’m alone. I like it. I don’t have to worry about anybody else. I’ve regretted it a few times though on solo pack outs. Lol

Where are you doing your moose hunt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
New Foundland

b2sandshee

Lil-Rokslider
99% of the time on big game hunts I’m solo. Although it’s nice having a second hand on the packout. Luckily I have good friends that love to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kiddogy

WKR
I prefer to hunt alone but will never turn down a Sherpa.

one great thing about hunting alone is ,the tales get taller.;)

KBC

WKR
I've hunted alone most of the time but had a partner I met on a local forum last year. Things didn't work out at all with him and I swore I would only go alone until my son is old enough to come with me.

Beginning of September I was out solo archery hunting for elk here in BC. Had a moment I had to have a conversation with myself. I used to have a sweet wheeler/hunting rig/dd but now my truck is new and shiny so I have an ATV to ride in where I used to be able drive. Usually I get as far back as I can driving and then hike from there.

I managed to put the ATV on it's side pushing things a bit too hard and realized it was a bad idea to be doing that stuff solo. Fortunately just some bruises but it could have been much worse.

There was also so much bear/Grizz sign around that I stopped hunting when there was still 2.5 hours or so of daylight every day because I was worried about being bent over a pile of bloody meat in the dark. It would have been a lot easier if I had a partner so one of us could keep watch.

I have a young family at home that needs a Dad around. I will still do plenty of solo stuff but for safety's sake I think I might have to look for a partner on some trips, especially in Grizz country.

gibbons025

Lil-Rokslider
The last 6 years elk hunting Colorado I always stay camped with my buddies but always hunt alone. Next year I believe I will be doing it completely solo which I think I will enjoy. I always whitetail hunt solo on my own property which is nice and quiet.

Last week, on the way home from work, I hiked back to a little swamp with promising moose sign...no one really knew where I was or what I was doing. Walked right in on a full grown brown bear on a kill....no bear tag, nothing between it and me but 50 yards of muskeg...somehow that felt more ALONE than normal...:p

JohnIrish

FNG
Yes... just plan your hunt and plan it for being alone. Learn how to use the gutless method to bone out the animal. Get a good pack frame. Know what you will do if the animal is down far away from the road. Even if you are with buddies... you hunt alone but haul out meat together. If you have a plan to haul out the meat.. you will be fine.

Yes... just plan your hunt and plan it for being alone. Learn how to use the gutless method to bone out the animal. Get a good pack frame. Know what you will do if the animal is down far away from the road. Even if you are with buddies... you hunt alone but haul out meat together. If you have a plan to haul out the meat.. you will be fine.

Pretty much spot on. I now live 10 hours away from my hunting buddies which is why I forked out the money for a good internal frame pack.

Rob5589

WKR
I do both. One thing I found if hunting with a partner is, both need to be on the same page. If not, it's miserable. That and a good friend does not equate to a good hunting partner.

All American Boy

Lil-Rokslider
Do alot of elk hunting alone here in Colorado. Prefer going with my older son and buddies, but sometimes things don't always work out that way. Gotta be careful though, a lot of things can wrong by yourself, truck gets stuck, break an ankle, etc. Garmin Inreach helps, and the wife sleeps better.

Jimss

WKR
I'm a pretty hard-core hunter and it's tough finding other companions that are willing to hunt hard from before daylight until well after dark...for days on end! It's certainly nice to have someone else along to share the experience and help pack critters out! I hunted bighorn sheep alone this fall and was a little disappointed that no one else could share the experience.....it was amazing! I hunt pretty nasty country. One of my biggest concerns is if something happens while hunting alone in super rough, remote country. I'm super careful but as I get older (and smarter) I'm aware of the risks. I always carry my cell phone and sometimes InReach with me.