Does a new arrow setup require a new tune?

wayoh22

WKR
Starting to acquire the equipment/tools to work on my own bow. If I wanted to start fooling around with arrow weights, vanes setups, etc...would each of those require the bow to be reshot through paper? Or would it be a safe assumption that a minimal amount of change (ie. vane configuration) is enough to leave the bow alone?

Majority of the time the actual arrow shaft would stay the same, but just components would be changing.

dlee56

WKR
Definitely shoot it thru paper every time you change something about your setup, just to be sure. The major things that would mess with your tune are changes in weight, weight distribution, and spine. There's a lot of YouTube videos out there that de-mystify tuning your bow. Watch a few and try it yourself, tuning is not as intimidating as folks make it out to be. Worst case scenario you take it back to a pro shop and have them take 15min to tune it.

BBob

WKR
Or would it be a safe assumption that a minimal amount of change (ie. vane configuration) is enough to leave the bow alone?
I'd say most times this (vane testing) would be fine. It may take small tweaks to the tune but if you're just testing vanes you'd likely be fine leaving it for initial testing. I always have a bare shaft in the quiver and when doing this I haven't seen much of a change with vane testing. Up front weight and anything else is likely a different story.

Last edited:

LONE HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
Anything different like length, point weight, spine, different arrow manufacturer etc I would check it. Obviously the outside diameter of your arrow will vary if you go with different arrow companies even in the same inside diameter category for example an Easton axis 5mm arrow and a BE rampage arrow both have inside diameter of .204 but their outside diameters are not the same. Also just because they are both say 300 spine doesnt meant they will react the same when shot. This will slightly change your tune just because it will require your nock point or rest to move a bit to start at 90 degrees through the berger hole starting point again. Short answer yes at least check it. Vanes for me havent changed tuning but they do seem to change POI down range atleast for me.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I don't shoot through paper, but I always do some testing with bare shafts or BH's when I make component changes, or changes to new arrows altogether.

406unltd

WKR
Anytime you change something like that you’ll go through the tuning process for the new setup.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I did some testing the past two summers with different arrow weights(including varying foc), different brands, different broadheads, and different vanes. I also turned down limb bolts and swapped out modules on my Mathews.

Not once did I need to retune my bow or arrows. I experienced zero issues do so, either.

“Any time you change one thing you change everything!” John Dudley

Yes it requires a new tune. The magnitude of change would indicate how much or how little else things need to change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LONE HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I did some testing the past two summers with different arrow weights(including varying foc), different brands, different broadheads, and different vanes. I also turned down limb bolts and swapped out modules on my Mathews.

Not once did I need to retune my bow or arrows. I experienced zero issues do so, either.
That is nice but generally not the norm for changing stuff that much. Probably good advice to check it regardless. That can be as simple as shooting a bare shaft next to a fletched.....Also, field points fly incredibly well even out of an untuned bow. Did you check POI with fixed blades?

BBob

WKR
Not the question asked but I can use two different but very similar design wrist rocket releases and the tune is drastically different. I also have a couple of different ones that tune and shoot the same. So like others have said, if you make a change check it. Easy enough to do.

OP
wayoh22

wayoh22

WKR
Not the question asked but I can use two different but very similar design wrist rocket releases and the tune is drastically different. I also have a couple of different ones that tune and shoot the same. So like others have said, if you make a change check it. Easy enough to do.
Sounds like anchor inconsistency

LONE HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I did. That’s why I said that everything was fine with doing what I did. I shoot and test everything I do and not base it off what I read on the internet.
good deal. My experiences have been different than that.

MattB

WKR
I think the suggestion you absolutely need to retune if you change something minor is questionable. I would definitely re-validate tune after making minor changes and re-tune if needed, but there is a good chance that a minor change (e.g. going from 3 to 4 fletches with minimal change to overall arrow weight) won't require retuning.

I think the suggestion you absolutely need to retune if you change something minor is questionable. I would definitely re-validate tune after making minor changes and re-tune if needed, but there is a good chance that a minor change (e.g. going from 3 to 4 fletches with minimal change to overall arrow weight) won't require retuning.

Which is why I said the magnitude of change drives the changes needed.

I agree with others that trying to shoot a hinge, back tension and index finger release all with same POI is usually impossible. I can’t toggle back and forth without windage being off by inches at 30 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBob

WKR
Sounds like anchor inconsistency
Nope not even. It's that release. If it were that (anchor) why then can I shoot several the same and only one is a pretty drastic outlier? I know the reason why it does it because it's obvious. If I make a tune change that release still shoots very well it just will never tune the same as the others because of it's design.

Last edited: