Does anyone else?

Deadfall

WKR
Does anyone else boycott the big box. Amazon, Walmart, lowes, home depot I just can't wrap my mind around them and the stuff.

In business for myself so using the smaller lumber home stores I have to charge a touch more in some cases.

When, I made the choice to not set foot in those stores under any circumstance, I thought for sure business would suffer. Turns out it is just the opposite.

Anyway my reasoning is what it is. Just wondered if anyone else I tired of supporting the billionaire, good club folks?

kopecsean

FNG
YES!!!!!! About 15 years ago. Would rather support local, better personal service. It started fire me with banning Chinese products!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Not sure how you fit Amazon in that lineup. Are you just boycotting billionaire businesses or ?

Do you still buy Moen faucets, or lumber from SDS, Weyerhaeuser, ect…. stuff from Unilever, Chevron, Dupont? Not sure what Plywood mills aren't owned by pretty large companies.

I like the idea of supporting local businesses, but when folks try to explain to me their personal Boycott lists its often like having an animal rights activist holding a protest sign wearing a leather jacket, or hundreds of plastic kayaks trying to block an oil drill rig.

I think folks should just say "I prefer to support local businesses" and leave it at that. Otherwise irony creeps in pretty fast.

OP
Deadfall

Deadfall

WKR
Not sure how you fit Amazon in that lineup. Are you just boycotting billionaire businesses or ?

Do you still buy Moen faucets, or lumber from SDS, Weyerhaeuser, ect…. stuff from Unilever, Chevron, Dupont? Not sure what Plywood mills aren't owned by pretty large companies.

I like the idea of supporting local businesses, but when folks try to explain to me their personal Boycott lists its often like having an animal rights activist holding a protest sign wearing a leather jacket, or hundreds of plastic kayaks trying to block an oil drill rig.

I think folks should just say "I prefer to support local businesses" and leave it at that. Otherwise irony creeps in pretty fast.
Mostly its the folks tied up in the good club, that irritate me. There's other stuff.
Amazon pushing brick and mortar joints out of business, then opening brick and mortar stores to replace them. On and on.

Everything it seems is made in china..if was possible I would skirt that as well.

Plus I've always been a small town type. I like the vibe in local.

My wife laughs at me constantly....

kopecsean

FNG
Fair statement. I won't buy from Amazon as well. Like you said, I would rather sipport and keep my local businesses in business. One day we will have no local businesses, just Amazon. Sad state of affairs. We just got a massive Amazon in Boise. My Nephew is super stoked that he will have a drone deliver his stuff. We had a long conversation. He understands a little better. For a kid though, I can imagine the excitement.

Carpenterant

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer to not shop at Walmart and will go out of my way to avoid amazon, but, I shop a bunch at Home Depot

I just don’t like Walmart or amazon and am for free market capitalism

I can't beat the convenience of Amazon, but I live about 30 minutes from town, and hate shopping. The time savings are just too important to me.

About two years ago I was going to rebuild a deck. I priced the lumber out at Home Depot, and went to the local lumber yard. The guy took my list, added it up, and the price difference was huge. I told him I couln't take it be cause the price difference was astronomical. He said he cold meet the quoted prices. It pissed me off that he could meet those prices but was willing to rape me, when I was trying to shop local. Nonetheless, I bought from him to support his local business.

A little background before I continue. I'm not a professional carpenter, but I've done a hell of a lot of construction, because my dad was a home builder and our family built our home and many of the additions and garages on our houses before that one. I'm not the guy that digs through the whole lumber unit to get clear stuff, etc. Unless its obviously been sitting there warping for six months, I take my lumber and I deal with it, because I know how to. I also used to work in (real) lumber yards as a kid, so I know my way around wood.

Back to our feature program. I go out with my yard receipt to load up. No one around with a fork truck to pull a unit, nothing. I've got to crawl under the crappiest pile of garbage (on racks) I've ever seen. I damn near went and got my money back. but found enough to make that load.

So that's the last time I tried to support the local lumber yard. If you're the local guy and that's the best you can do, then good luck. It was clear that their business model was truck delivery at an inflated price to builders who would bake their inflated prices into the job.

Mostly its the folks tied up in the good club, that irritate me. There's other stuff.
Amazon pushing brick and mortar joints out of business, then opening brick and mortar stores to replace them. On and on.

Everything it seems is made in china..if was possible I would skirt that as well.

Plus I've always been a small town type. I like the vibe in local.

My wife laughs at me constantly....

I had to GTS "the good club" to figure out what you were talking about. Seems an odd group to choose to boycott, but I guess as good as any.

I've just never met a person that could articulate or defend their personal boycott stance with anything resembling a consistent standard.
Like boycotting Home Depo and Lowes, but buy their groceries at Safeway.

But I guess if your boycotting any business owned by a member of "The good club" that's fairly consistent.

Carry on.

No, but I like to visit my local businesses when appropriate. Amazon is fantastic. But it doesn't solve every need. I really enjoy my locally-owned grocery store. Shop there for 90 percent of our needs.

It all comes down to value and where I can get what I want. I honestly have zero idea where I would buy a new lawnmower if not Home Depot, Lowe’s, ace...

although I really hate buying new stuff in general and would most likely buy a lawnmower from Craigslist/next door/etc. It’s hard to not find most of what we want/need second hand. Groceries and bows being notable exceptions. 🙂 Not saying I won’t buy anything new but it is a very short list of things I buy new. I will never buy new furniture, toys, vehicles, tools, etc from a store again, the world has made more than enough “stuff” for a long time.

Last edited:

Squamch

WKR
I can't beat the convenience of Amazon, but I live about 30 minutes from town, and hate shopping. The time savings are just too important to me.

About two years ago I was going to rebuild a deck. I priced the lumber out at Home Depot, and went to the local lumber yard. The guy took my list, added it up, and the price difference was huge. I told him I couln't take it be cause the price difference was astronomical. He said he cold meet the quoted prices. It pissed me off that he could meet those prices but was willing to rape me, when I was trying to shop local. Nonetheless, I bought from him to support his local business.

A little background before I continue. I'm not a professional carpenter, but I've done a hell of a lot of construction, because my dad was a home builder and our family built our home and many of the additions and garages on our houses before that one. I'm not the guy that digs through the whole lumber unit to get clear stuff, etc. Unless its obviously been sitting there warping for six months, I take my lumber and I deal with it, because I know how to. I also used to work in (real) lumber yards as a kid, so I know my way around wood.

Back to our feature program. I go out with my yard receipt to load up. No one around with a fork truck to pull a unit, nothing. I've got to crawl under the crappiest pile of garbage (on racks) I've ever seen. I damn near went and got my money back. but found enough to make that load.

So that's the last time I tried to support the local lumber yard. If you're the local guy and that's the best you can do, then good luck. It was clear that their business model was truck delivery at an inflated price to builders who would bake their inflated prices into the job.

Lumberyards have pricing tiers. Joe average pays more for the 10 2x4s he buys per year, than Joe contractor does for the 10 lifts of 2x4s he buys per year. Home depot pays less for the 2500 lifts they buy from the mill than the local yard does for the 250 lifts they buy. Sort of like how you get a lower per unit price on almost anything.
Then the builder tags on 5-15% on materials, which is generally still less than retail.

I shop local when it is reasonable. I will pay more at my local parts store where the counter staff know me, and understand that the 84 chev 1 ton rear end bearing, the 92 toyota oil filter, and the headlights for a 97 jeep TJ are all for rhe same shitbox. I could buy all those parts from rockauto, but...I'd rather bring Phil and Gary a coffee, pay a bit more, and know that Phil will call me, and pay the 10% on materials I charge, when his bathroom floods and needs to be repaired.

One good thing about Lowe's is that they stay open till 9pm every night (7 or 8 on Sundays). When you gotta get shit done in the evenings / on weekends it may be the only choice you have

OP
Deadfall

Deadfall

WKR
I had to GTS "the good club" to figure out what you were talking about. Seems an odd group to choose to boycott, but I guess as good as any.

I've just never met a person that could articulate or defend their personal boycott stance with anything resembling a consistent standard.
Like boycotting Home Depo and Lowes, but buy their groceries at Safeway.

But I guess if your boycotting any business owned by a member of "The good club" that's fairly consistent.

Carry on.
Looks good on surface...

Rob5589

WKR
No. I will buy local when I can or the prices are within reason.

One good thing about Lowe's is that they stay open till 9pm every night (7 or 8 on Sundays). When you gotta get shit done in the evenings / on weekends it may be the only choice you have
We have a local hardware store, it's closed on Sat and Sunday.

kopecsean

FNG
I'm stirring based on imports and supporting local companies that support, in this order, made in USA, customer service and local business. The first thing to go will be local business and then customer service
1a4346c70bd57c5afa3e27bfef2ef36e.jpg