Does anyone hunt the Sierra Madres of Wyoming?

If I draw a general unit tag for Wyoming this year I planned on hunting either the Madres or the Bighorns. I'm more familiar with the Madres, having snowmobiled there for a decade, but it would be a lightweight backpack hunt. The Bighorns, being equine-friendly, would allow me to bring my pack mules and horses, but I know there's a ton of pressure and that there's limited areas (non-wilderness) that a non-resident with a general tag can hunt. Anyone have experience in both places to give some advice? Anyone ever packed horses or mules into the Madres or Snowies? Thanks.

General units in the Bighorns? I guess I don’t know much about that neck of the woods. I thought it was all limited quota licenses. Good luck. Following….

I might be mistaken but isn't unit 37 a general unit?
So is 36, for rifle anyway. Both have limited archery hunts if I'm not mistaken, with concurrent general archery hunts only for the back half of September.

There was a thread on a unit 36 hunt less than a month ago. It was a cow hunt but the information is still applicable. Those general hunts in the bighorns have low success rates compared to some other places in the state, if you're a numbers guy.

OP
stihlhead82
So is 36, for rifle anyway. Both have limited archery hunts if I'm not mistaken, with concurrent general archery hunts only for the back half of September.

There was a thread on a unit 36 hunt less than a month ago. It was a cow hunt but the information is still applicable. Those general hunts in the bighorns have low success rates compared to some other places in the state, if you're a numbers guy.
Appreciate the reply. I've heard the bighorns are a tough hunt but I honestly enjoy the experience regardless of a kill or not and would be happy taking a cow for the freezer if the opportunity arises.

OP
stihlhead82
I’ve hunted some wilderness in the Sierras Madres.

Holy shit it was crowded
No kidding? I know the snowys get some pressure but I would've thought the Madres would've been a little lesser known! Was it a successful hunt despite the crowds?

manitou1

WKR
It's all crowded brother. Thanks to the internet, Western hunts are much like going to a theme park or the state fair.

cnelk

WKR
No kidding? I know the snowys get some pressure but I would've thought the Madres would've been a little lesser known! Was it a successful hunt despite the crowds?

We rode in 5 miles and camped/hunted for 9 days. Saw more people than elk. Thats not what I call success

Ive also hunted the Bighorns [LE area] - still crowded - I couldnt imagine what GEN areas in the BH are like

OP
stihlhead82
Well Shit! Was hoping that taking my mules out would get me away from the crowds a little. Last time I hunted the Flattops in CO it was crowded for the first 5 miles but once we set up camp about 12 miles in we never saw another for 2 weeks. Maybe I'm better off in the Horns.

OP
stihlhead82
It's all crowded brother. Thanks to the internet, Western hunts are much like going to a theme park or the state fair.
Yeah the internet plays a big part, and I believe the growing interest in hunting from TV, social media, podcasts, etc., along with shrinking amounts of accessible land, plays another. As well as the lightweight equipment that's being made these days, guys can hunt for a week with everything that'll fit in a pack. I cant hardly point blame at anyone because here I am another hunter jockeying to hunt public land like so many others. I guess the only difference I see is half the hunters I meet now are alot of first generation hunters who got interested by following people like Cam Hanes, Joe Rogan, Steve Rinella, etc. and have no heritage in hunting like myself and many others do, but regardless they have just the same right to as anyone else. Selfishly I wish the trend to learn how to hunt from someone who didnt grow up doing it would taper off, but like I said thats a selfish mentality I have.

Wellsdw

WKR
36 is crowded no matter how far you go. Even with livestock it gets crowded because of limited entry points put most on same the trails. Also elk are quick to go to private in the big horns. Cut my teeth in the big horns, have since moved on but damn those are some pretty mountains.