Does Anyone NOT Take a Picture Anymore?

jayhawk

WKR
I don't take many at all. If I do, it's just or friends or family. I don't have any social media. If you ask me, most of this new outdoors craze is just about the social media pictures.

I often feel that taking pictures distracts and takes away from the essence of a moment. So I take them sparingly.

I used to pack a Nikon D7100. Then downsized to a Sony cyber shot. Nows it’s just the iPhone. I still take pics of the kills and the areas I hunt. I keep a hunting file for every year. hundreds of pics every year. Then copy them on to thumb drives and put them in the vault. Good pics get printed at Costco and mailed to the house, then go into a hunting album. I have over 40 years of hunting pics in albums on the bookshelf. Memories are made of this.

I can see not taking photos at the kill site, but love looking through all the various pictures I have during each adventure. It seams like the right photo can take you right back to the day it was taken. With out the photos memories fade fairly quick.

elkyinzer

WKR
I have like 3 friends, so my footprint is pretty small. Quit facebook and instagram long ago. But I usually wish I took more pictures than less I'm usually living in the moment but I definitely also like to look back on the highlights. Especially moments with the kiddos they grow so damn fast.

My kills I usually just try to take respectful photos of the animal. I find grip and grins distasteful, but to each their own.

Last edited:

JFK

WKR
I always take pictures. Sometimes it feels a little forced in the moment, however a year or two later I’m always glad that I have some visual representation of that time spent. I pick a few of the best shots from a hunt, print them, put date and location on the back with ink and put them in an album. Figure it will be something for me to look at when I’m old. Pictures of scenery seem to bring back more memories than a pic of the animal.

I'm curios on if there's anyone out there, that doesn't take a picture of their animal or fish?

Absolutely not knocking anyone for taking a picture of their kill. I do myself but only share with close family and friends. Some of my dinks I just take a quick pic, and file away on my phone. I've caught plenty of steelhead that I've released without a photo too. Though, if I ever get a good sized animal, I'd like to take some decent photos for once and not just a crappy insta-pic.

Is there anybody who doesn't even pull out the camera in this day and age?
I take a lot less than I used to, rarely take a picture of any of my fish, my wife or daughter I take some always… critters, it depends, I certainly don’t try to get great photos unless it’s big, and I’m usually by myself when I kill something.

Shot a bear last week and didn’t take any pics, it’s just not as important to me anymore, the best part of fishing or hunting can only be depicted so well no matter what pics you take, the best pictures reside in my head, and I like mounts and skulls or whatever for those tangible reminders.

Fishing, if I get an early limit of salmon or whatever, often I will take a pic of them in the cooler to send my wife.

I too am not casting shade on it, I still very much enjoy seeing pics of other folks adventures, but I have become a bit jaded taking and sharing my own

Pictures arent the effort they used to be. You used to have to haul a camera and film. Then take the film in for development. Then when you got the envelope of pics back you discovered your buddy had his thumb in the way of your deer. These days you whip your phone out and take a pic, check it out right on the spot. No good, take another. text it to your buddy on the next ridge over or 1500 miles away. Pretty easy to share your success with your buddies.
I am glad my old hunting buddy like to take pics with his camera. It didnt seem important at the time 30 years ago to mess with it but its nice to look at those old pics all these year later. Im still at it making new memories but its great to have a record of years gone by.

Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
I come from the land before the internet/social media and photographs were very much a part of remembering stuff and sharing it. I do like the ease of taking a photo and instantly sharing it.

I don't take photos of every fish or every animal or every scenic, but do take some. We went to CO in 2019 and didn't get a photo of the group - that was a mistake. Just gonna have to do another trip.

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
Really only take a picture to joke around or brag to the guys I fish with. Maybe 10% of the time. Animals, just depends on the animal really. But not much. People already know I'm the best, no reason to run it in.

summs

Lil-Rokslider
I hated pictures and being in pictures. I had <100 photos from 2015 to 2021. I had lived in another state for 2 years, and I can scroll through my time there in 30 pictures, 2 include me. Most are blurry fish pictures or grouse/deer I shot. Wishing I took more photos. But not saturating the experience. Now I try to take at least 3 photos an outing if we shoot any thing.

Stripers (profile pic) get 1 photo every outing if we catch one, helps with annual migration on when we need to be out year after year. But other than that, if it's not near 30# or bigger than it usually just gets released fast. Stripers bring out the worst anglers, blitz make it easy to catch, to many guys fight fish with loose drag, a 10lb fish should not be screaming drag when you have 80# braid. They laugh when they find out we fish 30#. Then drag fish up on beach sand, unhook, then take photos. 3-5 minute release jobs is normal to see. Then they throw the fish back without reviving it, and instantly call buddies to race down, even if it's their first fish of the night. I've had nights being the only person at 4pm, and leaving at 9pm with 60-80 guys fishing.

Facebook/Instagram sure has changed the way I move on the water and in the woods now.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
My dad used to drive us kids nuts always taking slides and photos. I know all you old guys know what kodachrome is............
He always said, "you just can't take too many photos."
And he was absolutely right.

Randy

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not too good when it comes to remembering to take pics. My wife always gets annoyed that I don't have many of the kids hunting or fishing with me. My goal is usually to get one decent picture of each member of the group on an outing. Typically those pics are when they caught or shot something.

kbaker9

FNG
I take pictures of as much of my game and during my hunts as possible. I keep a photo album of pictures only of my game or trips of my buddies and I on hunts. I really enjoy looking back through them and reliving those trips. My dad passed away a couple years ago and I wish he would have taken more pictures for me to have of him and his adventures.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Always take pictures and make it a priority when with family/friends! Growing up my family did not take any pictures, unless it was family pictures. If I could do it over, I would have a scrap book of pics, with names/dates/notes!

prm

WKR
The last bull I shot, I took one poor photo. I was solo a long way from anywhere, and wanted to get it deboned before dark. I regret that now. I think the bigger question is what photos to get? I’ve never regretted pics after the years start passing by, but which photos are the meaningful ones can be surprising.

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
I never really did until I got married. My Mrs gave me enough grief early on about getting pics me holding animals I harvested. She likes the idea of her, my kids, my potential grandkids knowing/remembering who (or should I say "what") I am when I'm gone.

Q child

WKR
I've killed many animals without photographic documentation. Of course, you'll just have to take my word for it.

Last edited:

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
I take lots of pictures, one day I want to show them to my grandkids and tell them grand stories about my adventures stalking mule deer in the sandhills, hunting deer and elk in the rocky mountains, chasing wild board in alligator infested swamps of georgia etc. and so on and so forth, when i look at pictures (or mounts) of those animals memories that werent in photographs flood my mind of those hunts, like the jokes me and my buddies pull on each other and other little memories etc.