does anyone only carry 1 knife for hunting

mcseal2

WKR
I usually have more than one. A ZT 452CF in my pocket, and a fixed blade in the pack. A good fixed blade knife is my favorite to use on game, and my "comfort item" I guess you'd say. I'm just not comfortable going into the back country without one. I am to hard on knives to use just a Havalon, tried it.

If I was carrying just one today it would be my Battle Horse Buckeye. It's heavy but does everything well and has a sheath that it locks into. It's kydex/leather sheath is heavy though. For the same weight I can carry a Dozier Pro Guide and my ZT 452CF, so that's what I usually do.

For a sheep hunt or something similar I'd probably take my Benchmade Bugout and Altitude.

I only carry my Outdoor Edge Lite, which I'm surprised is not more popular looking at previous posts in this thread.

The Outdoor Edge has enough umph to do what you need to do with an elk, joints and getting the head off the spine, never broke a blade (have broken Havalons before), small weight penalty to the Havalon. Easier to change blades, too.
The replaceable blade knives are designed for temporary use because of their Rc ( Rokwell hardness) that’s the reason they come with replaceable blades.

Rokwell Hardness is a measure of a steel's resistance to deformation. Hardness in knife steels is most commonly measured using the Rockwell C test. Hardened knife steels are generally about 58/62 HRC (hardness Rockwell C), depending on the grade. Most are typically about 58/60 HRC, although some are occasionally used up to about 62 HRC.

The above mentioned knives have an Rc of 54-55 range, which is very soft. This means there is no edge retention with continued use because the blade isn’t hard enough and quickly dulls compared to a knife with a Rc of 58. Night and day difference in performance.

Bladesmiths like myself wouldn’t consider using this steel in any knife. It’s all about the characteristics of the steel, design,Rc hardness, grind type and edge geometry that make different knives perform better than others. Replaceable blade style knives are just that, they serve a temporary purpose then are replaced. Hope this bit of science helps.

I’ll take a fixed blade knife with/without a sharpener any day over those style knives not only from a durability perspective, but overall use in the field if needed. For me it’s all about performance.

The replaceable blade knives are designed for temporary use because of their Rc ( Rokwell hardness) that’s the reason they come with replaceable blades.

Rokwell Hardness is a measure of a steel's resistance to deformation. Hardness in knife steels is most commonly measured using the Rockwell C test. Hardened knife steels are generally about 58/62 HRC (hardness Rockwell C), depending on the grade. Most are typically about 58/60 HRC, although some are occasionally used up to about 62 HRC.

The above mentioned knives have an Rc of 54-55 range, which is very soft. This means there is no edge retention with continued use because the blade isn’t hard enough and quickly dulls compared to a knife with a Rc of 58. Night and day difference in performance.

Bladesmiths like myself wouldn’t consider using this steel in any knife. It’s all about the characteristics of the steel, design,Rc hardness, grind type and edge geometry that make different knives perform better than others. Replaceable blade style knives are just that, they serve a temporary purpose then are replaced. Hope this bit of science helps.

I’ll take a fixed blade knife with/without a sharpener any day over those style knives not only from a durability perspective, but overall use in the field if needed. For me it’s all about performance.

Have you tried one? I can make it through an elk by myself with 2 blades no problem, and the change from one blade to another is a lot faster and easier than sharpening. I'll admit I've never tried a kickass knife, but from my perspective they're expensive (I got the scrilla, I just know I'll hate myself when I lose one) and they're heavy (comparatively), and it does require some skill to keep them in their best condition. I do admire you guys will cool knives, just rather focus on other things.

Have you tried one? I can make it through an elk by myself with 2 blades no problem, and the change from one blade to another is a lot faster and easier than sharpening. I'll admit I've never tried a kickass knife, but from my perspective they're expensive (I got the scrilla, I just know I'll hate myself when I lose one) and they're heavy (comparatively), and it does require some skill to keep them in their best condition. I do admire you guys will cool knives, just rather focus on other things.
I enjoy testing different knives, so yes I have. That’s why I don’t carry one on any of my hunts. It’s personal preference. The knife I took with me last season broke down my bull and still remained very sharp, but I built it. The term expensive is relative to your budget and the importance you place on that tool. There are good fixed blade knives under $150. You just have to do your research.

As far as the weight factor, that’s minimal when it comes to skinning knives. Many of my customers will take a few more ounces for the quality they demand.

Steelhead

FNG
I like good knives and I get attached to them once I know them. Plus I like the legacy a knife shares when I look at it and think about all the critters it's helped break down. Kinda goofy I know but again, I like a good knife. Its totally worth any extra weight for me to have one and a simple sharpener with me. I always have 2 on me when hunting and probably another one in camp.
Buck Vangaurd fixed blade and an old Benchmade folder which is also my EDC, both S30V. Forget the name of the BM but the blade is a smooth drop point with a good belly for breaking down an animal.
those Havalon type knives work like magic though and are light. I have a partner that uses one almost exclusively and its impressive on efficiency for sure. The razor blades still give me the heeby jeebies though when I think of changing a blade when my hands are numb and cold or shakey from fatigue.

ppwack02

Lil-Rokslider
I use an outdoor edge for everything and bring extra blades. I can be rough in the joints of bears and moose and not worry about the blade breaking on me.

mcseal2

WKR
I use a replaceable blade Outdoor Edge cutting net wrap off round bales some in the winter. A lot of ranchers close to me have started doing so. We keep a ceramic steel or pull through carbide sharpener in the truck and touch them up every day or two. Saves a lot on blades, and we aren’t ruining a good knife on a pull through sharpener. The softer steel cuts well because the edge is so thin, and sharpens easy. They work great for slicing, I just like a stronger knife in the field. I do like the Outdoor Edge for cleaning skulls, scraping the edge against bone a lot. It’s easy to fix the edge or replace the blade.

My back won’t take being stooped over cutting on an animal for more than 15 minutes or so without a break. I have to stand up for a few seconds. While I rest I touch up my knife on a ceramic steel. I have an old Cabelas one that used to have a wooden handle. In AK on my moose hunt the glue holding the handle gave up so now it’s just a 6” 1.2oz ceramic rod. It works great at a minimal weight.

With that rod I don’t need a super steel in my knife. I still like a great steel but want toughness too. Especially if only carrying one knife I want a tough one. High carbon O1 or 1095 steel works well for how I use it. My favorite is 3V, its more rust resistant and even tougher so the blade can be thinner. My Dozier in D2 is awesome on game. It takes and holds a great toothy edge, and the hollow grind slices great. Its not as tough as some, so it would not be my choice carrying only one knife far from civilization.

If I found someone to make a copy of my Dozier Pro Guide in 3V with a high saber grind instead of the hollow grind I’d have my perfect “only carry one” field knife.

Jimss

WKR
Outdoor Edge with an extra blade when day hunting. If I backpack into and area I ALWAYS have an extra. Just about impaled myself with a Piranta....never use again. The blades snap to easy and they are way too dangerous!

AkRyan

WKR
I've used a outdoor edge swing blade for 4yrs now and it has handled multiple moose, deer, caribou. Havalons are cool but they are crazy sharp and cutting myself deep in the woods because the blade touched my finger isn't a option for me and you have to pack out the crap blades and remember to replace them...fixed blade and stone ftw

Last edited:
FWIW, I have not had to touch up a knife on hunts made from S30V, S90v, CPM S3v, BG42, and a couple other super steels.

I now leave my touch up stuff at camp...and just use it for BH's.

>
Good steels. I use those plus CPM154, 440c and AEB-L for stainless. High carbon steels 1084, 5160 and 8670.

For the farm, many of my customers like a fixed blade CPM or AEB-L unless they are familiar with high carbon and know to keep oiled.
I’ll use a Gerber frame folder and just keep it like a razor.

I use a replaceable blade Outdoor Edge cutting net wrap off round bales some in the winter. A lot of ranchers close to me have started doing so. We keep a ceramic steel or pull through carbide sharpener in the truck and touch them up every day or two. Saves a lot on blades, and we aren’t ruining a good knife on a pull through sharpener. The softer steel cuts well because the edge is so thin, and sharpens easy. They work great for slicing, I just like a stronger knife in the field. I do like the Outdoor Edge for cleaning skulls, scraping the edge against bone a lot. It’s easy to fix the edge or replace the blade.

My back won’t take being stooped over cutting on an animal for more than 15 minutes or so without a break. I have to stand up for a few seconds. While I rest I touch up my knife on a ceramic steel. I have an old Cabelas one that used to have a wooden handle. In AK on my moose hunt the glue holding the handle gave up so now it’s just a 6” 1.2oz ceramic rod. It works great at a minimal weight.

With that rod I don’t need a super steel in my knife. I still like a great steel but want toughness too. Especially if only carrying one knife I want a tough one. High carbon O1 or 1095 steel works well for how I use it. My favorite is 3V, its more rust resistant and even tougher so the blade can be thinner. My Dozier in D2 is awesome on game. It takes and holds a great toothy edge, and the hollow grind slices great. Its not as tough as some, so it would not be my choice carrying only one knife far from civilization.

If I found someone to make a copy of my Dozier Pro Guide in 3V with a high saber grind instead of the hollow grind I’d have my perfect “only carry one” field knife.
Bob is known for his hollow grinds. He has helped many of us.

Two is one, one is none.

These days I mostly have a Benchmade Bugout and a Leatherman Skeletool with me.

I still occasionally carry my Dunn folder, Dunn Predator or my Gerber Bolt Action and Leatherman Wave.

Always carried just one, recently its been the Benchmade hidden canyon, and I have a mini benchmade sharpener in my bino harness. That said I bought a tyto for this year after using and slicing my finger wide open with a buddies havlon last year. The scalpel blade knives are sweet but ill always carry a small fixed blade while hunting.

mcseal2

WKR
Bob is known for his hollow grinds. He has helped many of us.

For it’s intended use on game it’s excellent. I have not done any chopping or batoning with it. Between the extra hard D2 and hollow grind I’m afraid I might damage the knife. That is part of the reason I would not carry the Dozier as my only knife. If I’m ever in a situation where I have to abuse the blade, I want a back-up.

This is a very small worry. I carry wetfire cubes and should be able to get a fire in most places without abusing my knife to process wood. Its only in really wet areas I might need more. I have needed to split wood with my knife though when fishing or just practicing my fire-starting in bad conditions. It’s an option I like to have for a few ounces more. My hunts are all with a rifle later in the year in colder temps.

I had a Dozier wilderness knife for a while. I loved the feel of it and the sheath. It’s thicker edge held up to abuse, but lost the slicing ability of the pro guide. I eventually replaced it with a LT Wright GNS in 3V with a saber grind. The 3V blade is thinner and works great. That blade design doesn’t have much belly for skinning, but for my camping, scouting, or fishing trips it works great.