Does, does and more does.

I’m hunting Californias *** zone, I’ve heard these are blacktail/muley hybrids, so I really don’t know if I’m posting under the right subforum. I’m visiting NorCal to see some family and picked up a ***tag to spend a couple days hunting. I’ve spent around 6 days out there. Seen tons and tons of sign, spotted over 30 does, but not a single buck! I have no idea what I’m doing wrong, I’m just trying to harvest my first deer, having grown up hunting small game. I’ve also been seeing a lot of “unusual” sign, what seems to look like scrapes, I would love to hear from you experienced hunters what they are, and what I should be doing different to get my first legal buck. All help is greatly appreciated!
38850f7e97f7999c58dd19a3b0e6b00e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

PVHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I think that you're in a good spot. I'd stick with it. How early are you getting into your spot? If you aren't settling in while it's dark out, give yourself an extra hour or two to do so to increase the odds that you catch a buck in those first few minutes of light. Just my $0.02.

OP
K
I think that you're in a good spot. I'd stick with it. How early are you getting into your spot? If you aren't settling in while it's dark out, give yourself an extra hour or two to do so to increase the odds that you catch a buck in those first few minutes of light. Just my $0.02.

It looks like a great spot, and there is so much sign around, I just can’t tell whats buck and whats doe sign. I’m also seeing a fair amount of bear sign in the area, but have no interest in taking a bear. I get there at first light and still hunt it, there’s a river further down, so I’m guessing they’re using the area to go from bedding to drinking and feeding ok the way. How would you guys hunt it? Would it be better early am or late afternoon? What about mid day?

FairWeatherFisher

Lil-Rokslider
I’m no expert, but I’ve always heard odds are better at dusk.

The BT are practically nocturnal at this point. So the as dusk sets in, the “early birds” come out first, but more and more will be coming out as it gets darker. In the morning, it’s basically just the “night owls” that you’ll see still out and about, and they’ll dwindle as the morning progresses.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I'm NOT a BT hunter, but when this is a happening on a mule deer hunt, I look for steeper, rougher, with more cover.

Free tip, worth what you paid.

but do let us know how this hunt pans out.

good on you asking for help and not just blowing up units.

OP
K
I’m no expert, but I’ve always heard odds are better at dusk.

The BT are practically nocturnal at this point. So the as dusk sets in, the “early birds” come out first, but more and more will be coming out as it gets darker. In the morning, it’s basically just the “night owls” that you’ll see still out and about, and they’ll dwindle as the morning progresses.

Sweet! Thank you, I’ll try and hit it later in the evening then. I appreciate all the help

OP
K
I'm NOT a BT hunter, but when this is a happening on a mule deer hunt, I look for steeper, rougher, with more cover.

Free tip, worth what you paid.

but do let us know how this hunt pans out.

good on you asking for help and not just blowing up units.

I’ll be sure to hunt the thicker stuff! How would you hunt the steeper, thicker areas? Thank you for the help

OP
K
Wait about 3-4 weeks, the bucks will show if there's that many does around.

I’m going back down south by next week unfortunately. I would’ve been more confident in the area had the rut started.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I’ll be sure to hunt the thicker stuff! How would you hunt the steeper, thicker areas? Thank you for the help

glass, set ambushes in likely places and still-hunt cover I think they're using. Rinse and repeat until it closes or your just sick of it.

I'll throw a wrench into the advice. I have killed more Blacktails from around 10am-2pm than any other time of the day. Most were killed in their beds or after kicking them up.

If they think they are safe, they will lay damn near at your feet and just watch you walk by.
Shhh.

Let the masses think that animals stay bedded and do not get up to use the toilet, stretch, nibble, move back into the shade, etc.

OP
K
I do have pictures of the country. I’m just not sure where these deer bed and what they’re like. They’re so different to the desert deer I’m used to bow hunting, you see so many but just can’t get into archery range. I’ll take everything in mind and try and still hunt it earlier in the day and stay later at dusk. I’m just worried about lions and bear as I am hunting it alone.
b1f2d26ebc88e5cc8fa4287f3761b7da.jpg

OP
K
I would worry more about finding the truck in the dark, than I would worry about lions, tigers and bears

Is that a planted area? Any big timber, bluffs, canyons, skid roads?

I get that. There’s no big timber in that area, nor any bluffs. There is a river at the bottom, about 400 feet down, but its so thick there, there’s no way to actually go through without being loud. A lot of game trails leading down to the river. Across the main road, away from the river, it goes higher up the mountain, however I’ve never hunted that area, and I haven’t seen as much sign there. There’s another road across the river too. I might be getting too specific now

I'm horrible about actually doing this myself. But this is why some people scout the area before the season opens.

There have been a lot of animals killed by people who just walked game trails. Keep your ears open for that sound when they slap the ground as they get up

OP
K
I'm horrible about actually doing this myself. But this is why some people scout the area before the season opens.

There have been a lot of animals killed by people who just walked game trails. Keep your ears open for that sound when they slap the ground as they get up
You're right, since I don't live in the area, I couldn't scout it, I wish I could though. The country here is gorgeous.

Marble

WKR
Sweet! Thank you, I’ll try and hit it later in the evening then. I appreciate all the help

Something else to consider...when I have had my camera on some remote water sources, I had more buck/doe pics between 10-2 than any other time. I had a lot at night/evening, almost none early.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
Don't worry about either lions or bears. You are more likely to get struck by lightning than to have a bear or lion get you.

I hunt in the two counties with the highest bear density in the lower 48 and have never had anything like that happen.

Concentrate on deer.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

In my experience with blacktail… if you are finding lots of does. You are probably in lower elevation, easier terrain, and too close to roads than where the bucks hang out. Where I hunt, I would say that 80% of the deer we find are bucks. Bucks have their very specific places they call home and don’t just roam around, unless it’s the rut and we can’t hunt that anyway.