Does KUIU have an Edge

I will start with I'm not a brand loyalist. My closet has pieces from all the top brands. However, during my research it is clear that spandex/Lycra does retain water and is heavy. However, most brands will tell you that 10 - 12% spandex in a garment is the acceptable ratio. What is interesting is that a lot of garments in the hunting industry are pushing 12% - 15%. I have emailed some of the experts and they agree that spandex does retain water but is good for garment comfort and should be kept under 12%.

So, I come back to my subject title that KUIU advertises and makes garments that have zero spandex. Therefore, I will be trying out some pants and mid layers this year to see if I notice any real-world difference. I will say even if something dry's 5 minutes faster, I will take it all day in a backpacking situation.

Bump79

WKR
I will say - their fleeces dry incredibly quick. My 200 fleece feels nearly dry out the washing machine. I have sat in light drizzles and watched the steam roll off just from my body heat. I'm sold on it. I do love the stretch of the spandex/elastane/lyrca in pants especially.

OP
F
I think Kuiu over-hypes that feature greatly.
Yeah, that's what I'm trying to figure out. It seems KUIU is only hunting company that doesn't use spandex and if it was so bad seems like all other high ends brands wouldn't use it. Every other brand uses it. It seems like it doesn't have much effect in a garment if it stays around 10% or less.

Kostrize

WKR
Agree that their fleece and soft shell polyesters dry very quickly. Also agree that fit is the hardest part from piece to piece in their line

I had some Kuiu pieces that would have benefited from stretch elastic cuffs, collars, hems, etc. The fit would have been improved and heat loss and mobility would have been better from using spandex. It’s something I noticed after using more Sitka, SG, and mountaineering brands that do employ it strategically. Pretty sure Kuiu does use elastic or a variant in some items now just not on some of their marquee/legacy pieces. I haven’t seen it used nearly as much in their marketing lately and assume that’s why. Just observations

I think Kuiu owned the middle layer market with their unique fleece until Sitka introduced Ambient line. Think Sitka still has some work todo with pockets, but the technology is more versatile at same weight or less. IMO, Kuiu still owns pant market and rain gear options

ljalberta

WKR
I think some of Kuiu’s products are absolutely excellent. Other items are really unimpressive compared to competitors. I have tried a number of their merino items for instance, and would never buy another one.

Their materials are generally superior. Fit can be the hard part to figure out. they make returns and exchanges easy but it can still be tedious.
This is generally my opinion as well. I also believe Kuiu's products are typically better in a broader spectrum of use.

For me,

Sitka is overly specialized. First lite is a tier below, except for their aerowool base layers. I own a variety of brands but mostly Kuiu, Sitka, First Lite.

OP
F
I just got the KUIU Katana pants and although comfortable the Sitka pants feel little more comfortable do to the 4-way spandex stretch. It is noticeable. I have no idea until real world testing if there is a noticeable dry time difference.

Dirtbag

WKR
I've tried it all and I've stuck with Kuiu, for comfort and durability. as others said it dries very quickly as well.

from my experience Firstlite was the most comfortable but had terrible durability, could never get more than two seasons out of it. unlike others, I could never quite get Sitka's sizing down, and felt like all their materials did not breathe as well as kuiu and definitely didnt dry as quick.

slowelk

WKR
As others have said, there's no one company that has all the right answers. I wear a combination of things all the time, but the primary pieces are stone glacier, sitka, kuiu and other non-hunting brands, but never first lite. I think down is best done by non-hunting brands - western mountaineering, feathered friends, goosefeet gear.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
When compared to what? Other hunting brand clothing? Depending on the piece normally Sitka wins out for quality of materials when testing harshly on hunting specific brand clothing.

When compared to other non hunting brands the answer is no way.

When compared to what? Other hunting brand clothing? Depending on the piece normally Sitka wins out for quality of materials when testing harshly on hunting specific brand clothing.

When compared to other non hunting brands the answer is no way.
If you don't have matching camo for insta,
Do you even hunt bruh?
Bet you don't even run a kit?

Sheeesh

All I know is the shirt tails are like 6" longer then firstlite.

I went from crack full exposed, to staying tucked in.

Good enough for me.

But in reality I am still mixing and matching.

i prefer their fit as well.

Big fan of their attack pants, grid fleece ad that airy fabric in the Tiburons.

Back in the Jason days (RIP) i remember They were always pointing out some whacky Japanese tech fabric or something. I couldn’t tell you how much of that was verifiable truth vs hype Or just how they explained having to move away from gore fabrics when they started the company and had to create a brand identity for the replacements.

I also couldn’t tell you if their stuff dries faster than other stuff I own from FL and Sitka. while drying is important to me, by the time I test that out I am probably in the field and either happy or not.

For me KUIU does perform better on most pieces.
Axis jacket outperforms jetstream handily no other jacket works in the conditions these two do.
Any pant outperforms Sitka pants, SG pants are really close neither line up perfectly with a KUIU pant so I own both SG, tiburons, attacks and guides.
Peloton 97 has no competitor, it’s an amazing piece. Peloton 240 is pretty tough to compete with if you need any wind protection with breathability. Those two mid layers don’t have an equal.
Sitka kelvin down WS unfortunately isn’t made anymore and I’m not paying the KUIU burner parka retail price. Chamberlain was awful and any other 10 oz ish down jacket without a wind barrier can’t compete.

Synthetic Base layers I think it’s pretty close between Sitka, KUIU and SG.
Zip off long underwear KUIU or SG but I haven’t used the latest SG. Peloton 97 are tough to beat here.

The fit between the 3 works for me and generally aligns.

Others are chasing these 3 in my experience. First lite I’ve owned and tried a lot but moved on from all but a few tattered merino llano shirts from 2011. No merino for me anymore and I’m drier, warmer/cooler, packing less clothes. I put first lite down 2 tiers.
Kryptek has some good pieces but most are a notch down. (Ghar is great)
SKRE has a few specific pieces that are really good most are down a notch. (Deadfall gloves)
I don’t own much from other brands.

Ho5tile1

Lil-Rokslider
I own a lot of all of them but stone glacier only own 3 pairs of there pants and have only tried them on they just hang there. In my opinion kuiu dries the fastest there rain gear works the best there merino itches and I don’t care for it now when it comes to deer hunting I love there proximity and there newest one the encounter as well but it’s not as warm as the Sitka offerings the fanatic and the incinerator are much warmer they also block wind way better then the kuiu stuff the Sitka stratus is the only one not as warm as the proximity but it’s very versatile. Sitka pants like the mountain pant and the ascent pant are comfortable the equinox
Is also comfortable. I like Sitkas base layers better then kuiu as far as synthetics. First lite imo has the most comfortable base layers with there merino there pants are comfortable as well but don’t hold up near as well as Sitka and kuiu. First lites newer pants are a little better except there merino founders pants those fit like some skate board punks pants from the late 90s big and baggy. Phnuma has some nice stuff as well and badlands. So to sum it up kuiu for when it’s not as cold Sitka when it’s cold all with first lite base layers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk