Does KUIU have an Edge

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can say with confidence that Kuiu has no more (or less) "edge" than any of the other major hunting clothing manufacturers. They all have stuff that works very well and stuff that works less well.

As mentioned several times, fit has a lot of impact on what piece you choose and from who.

I think you're doing yourself a bit of a disservice if you're looking at only one brand and one brand only, that extends to non-hunting brands as well.

Jethro

WKR
I don't understand the Sizing issues people have with KUIU. I wear large in every top from them except for the Axis Thermal Hybrid which they made clear ran bigger then their other jackets...
Issue is you can buy a piece of clothing, like it, decide to buy a second of the exact same piece, and it fits differently than the original. That can be a problem.

I like the Kuiu I have but sizing can be a gamble. It does seem like it’s less of a problem as in the past.

sr80

WKR
Differences in sizing can be very annoying, specially when its all ordered online. I find that with all the brands i wear the sizing varies, SG, Sitka, and the odd kuiu piece i own. Even buying regular tshirts at a store, the exact same tshirt, in just a different color will fit different. Different materials wear differently, but i still dont understand why a large top should vary if the said company uses the same sizing pattern?

schmalzy

WKR
Big fan of the kutana pants and rain gear, as well as kenai pieces. Durability has been great for me.

I like their light wool shirts (I forget the exact model, the lightest stuff they have) for everyday winter wear. Their peloton base layers have held up to hard use and surprisingly odor resistant, and being zip off is incredibly effective and convenient for me.

Fit has always been on point for me, but that’s subjective.

That being said, I prefer the SG grid fleece, the synthetic hoodie 3/4 zip, and the full vents of the DHL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
Here I am sitting over here using Kryptek stuff for most of my camo and mixing in other brands for base layers (black ovis) and a puffy from Born Primative.

I do wish Kryptek provided weight info for their pieces, but overall have found all of their stuff to perform. Personally I find it interesting how some people are so brand loyal to a clothing company. There are so many different brands out there currently that provide top notch pieces.

Overall, i greatly prefer KUIU products over other brands due to the materials and quality. Still running my original guide/attack set that I bought the first year they came to market. Since, i have purchased additional gear and backups, but they are still growing strong. We hunt alot of thick cover and briars, and while they do get pulls, they are still holding together very well. in terms of the spandex, i will say that the KUIU gear dries faster than other brands I have run, but I have never really done a "test".

Big fan of the kutana pants and rain gear, as well as kenai pieces. Durability has been great for me.

I like their light wool shirts (I forget the exact model, the lightest stuff they have) for everyday winter wear. Their peloton base layers have held up to hard use and surprisingly odor resistant, and being zip off is incredibly effective and convenient for me.

Fit has always been on point for me, but that’s subjective.

That being said, I prefer the SG grid fleece, the synthetic hoodie 3/4 zip, and the full vents of the DHL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you use the Kutana pants for sheep hunting? I would appreciate some advice on how they hold up to multiple days of getting wet and if they hold any water after creek crossings.

2531usmc

WKR
If we’re considering which outdoor firm has an “edge”, it would be hard to argue against Sitka Gear. For the simple reason Sitka is owned by Gore, of Goretex fame, and has access to the latest fabrics and materials. Not to mention Gore’s research and test expertise