Does new adg brass new to be sized or trimmed before first firing?

coast range

Lil-Rokslider
Found some “new” brass but the guys trimmed and sized it. Does that matter? I would think so but have a hard time thinking it needed to be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chamfer, debur, and maybe mandrel expand necks is all i would ideally do but if the person didn't do anything stupid when sizing them they should be just fine.

I never trim brass until at least 3 firings.

I would ask what length he trimmed them to and compare against SAAMI min/max dimensions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sndmn11

WKR
I had the same question over the summer.

I have since loaded Alpha, Lapua, and Peterson straight out of the box with no issues are load changes needed for 2nd firing and beyond.

CCooper

WKR
I like ADG. New-I like to run it through a mandrel die first, FL sizing die, then chamfer before loading. This process helps me keep uniform neck tension exactly where I want it.

SDHNTR

WKR
Maybe. I measure it and see if it needs manipulating. If not. I neck size it for roundness and the tension I want, chamfer, deburr, and load.

Lytro

WKR
I had the same question over the summer.

I have since loaded Alpha, Lapua, and Peterson straight out of the box with no issues are load changes needed for 2nd firing and beyond.
Have you received your Peterson brass in pretty good shape? I got some Peterson 300wm from UM a few months ago shipped to me in their cases and most of the necks were all out of round and needed to be resized.

sndmn11

WKR
Have you received your Peterson brass in pretty good shape? I got some Peterson 300wm from UM a few months ago shipped to me in their cases and most of the necks were all out of round and needed to be resized.
Yes. Those and the alpha looked round. The Lapua had some less than round but still took a boattail bullet. I marked those and velocity was on par in load development with similar.

Lytro

WKR
Yes. Those and the alpha looked round. The Lapua had some less than round but still took a boattail bullet. I marked those and velocity was on par in load development with similar.
Thanks. Maybe I just got a beat up batch. The ADG I received shortly after looked flawless, but I think they package them better. I'll likely just chamfer and load those.

Axlrod

WKR
In my rifle new ADG 30 Nosler brass needs to have the shoulder resized. This is checking the brass in my chamber, with a striped bolt. I don't know if it is just their 30 Nosler brass that needs sizing. It did not need a trim.

SDHNTR

WKR
In my rifle new ADG 30 Nosler brass needs to have the shoulder resized. This is checking the brass in my chamber, with a striped bolt. I don't know if it is just their 30 Nosler brass that needs sizing. It did not need a trim.
That likely had nothing to do with the brass itself, you probably just have a tight chamber.

SloppyJ

WKR
I like ADG. New-I like to run it through a mandrel die first, FL sizing die, then chamfer before loading. This process helps me keep uniform neck tension exactly where I want it.
Curious why you mandrel and then FL resize after? Doesn't that just defeat purpose of the mandrel? Still trying to wrap my head around mandrel sizing and how that fits into someone's regimen.

To the OP, I've had good luck chamfering and deburring new brass and letting it ride. However, you're not going to hurt anything to resize it first and it's likely a good idea. If nothing else, doing something to make sure the necks are uniform would be beneficial.

CCooper

WKR
Curious why you mandrel and then FL resize after? Doesn't that just defeat purpose of the mandrel? Still trying to wrap my head around mandrel sizing and how that fits into someone's regimen.

To the OP, I've had good luck chamfering and deburring new brass and letting it ride. However, you're not going to hurt anything to resize it first and it's likely a good idea. If nothing else, doing something to make sure the necks are uniform would be beneficial.
The necks are typically are on the way-small side therefore requiring excessive force with the FL die- I have found it way easier to run them through the mandrel die and open them up before FL sizing.

Last edited: