Does sitka core LW get stinky?

WoodBow

WKR
Can it be worn on a multi day backpack hunt as a base layer and not get funky? I have worn some variation of a merino base layer for several years and I am hesitant to change from it. I like my core LW and it would be a little cooler and dry a little faster. I'm just afraid it will develop that stink that most synthetic does.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Only way to know for you is wear it while working out or training for several days in a row without washing and see what someone else says.

My gut tells me it will take a few days before getting stinky.

The other option is getting into the new core-merino and that should have similar function as the core LW but handle stink better.
I have the pro-merino from kuiu and i love that as a base. I have not gotten any of the core-merino from sitka but have to think they would be great as well.

Last edited:
OP
WoodBow

WoodBow

WKR
Only way to know for hou is wear it while working out or training for several days in a row without washing and see what someone else says.

My gut tells me it will take a few days before getting stinky.

The other option is getting into the new core-merino and that should have similar function as the core LW but handle stink better.
I have the pro-merino from kuiu and i love that as a base. I have not gotten any of the core-merino from sitka but have to think they would be great as well.
That's a good idea. I can sweat through it for a few days on the treadmill and see how it fares.

I think that is the ultimate test right? Because what happens to me and my body and stink level will not neccessarily be the same for you.
So give it a whirl and see what happens. And you get some training in at the same time

Kurts86

WKR
It’s has polygiene which helps synthetics not stink as quickly. I think it does a great job by synthetics standards.

Polygiene® Odor Control Technology safely neutralizes odor caused from sweat.

KineKilla

WKR
I have found that the core lightweight is VERY stinky. I have the hoody and the tee.

I can't get more than 1 day out of it. Even if I'm not sweating, it stinks. I don't know what that polygiene treatment is supposed to do but it doesn't work for me.

Maybe my brand of stink just doesn't jive with that fabric treatment.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Can it be worn on a multi day backpack hunt as a base layer and not get funky? I have worn some variation of a merino base layer for several years and I am hesitant to change from it. I like my core LW and it would be a little cooler and dry a little faster. I'm just afraid it will develop that stink that most synthetic does.

Stick w merino for multi days

Love my sitka but wouldn’t wanna live outta it more than a day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scorpion

WKR
It can stink after a day or two but everything including merino gets its own musk after a bit. I like to wear a thin 100-120 weight merino tee shirt under my core lightweight hoody. I’ve found that it helps tremendously.

My experience is that once synthetic gets some stank on it, it retains it pretty much forever unless it is sanitized. I’ve had synthetic shirts stink immediately after coming out of the washer, and have had some success “resetting” the stink with either a vinegar soak or the laundry sanitizer additive.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Funny, I have had good experiences with it not smelling bad after two or three days of use in hot weather. I assume that means one of two things. First, my sweat glands secrete a sweet southern nectar that smells heavenly or I am nose blind to my own funkiness.

It stinks, but slightly less bad and the smell seems to come out in the wash easier than untreated polyester shirts

I can get 4+ days of sweating in one and it still didn’t have any funk. I think it really comes down to the person

A.hol1

Lil-Rokslider
After day 2 it starts to stink for me. I take 2 hunting and wash it in the river and rotate throughout the trip

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kurts86

WKR
I’d say I can get 4 days out of mine but it never gets particularly bad for me.

I’ve had great luck with polygiene in other applications as well. I have a POC mountain bike helmet with polygiene in the pads and it has been great at keeping odor under control.

I’m not a big fan of merino base layers because of how baggy and loose they get between washings. Merino has some known odor advantages over synthetics but I’ve found core synthetics to be some of the best at managing odor.

jd1006

WKR
I can’t get more than a day out of mine without smell. I’d like to try the new 120 merino hoody, but I’m waiting for a discount on the Sitka premium.

I grabbed the 120 merino hoody earlier this summer. Very nice. And can wear forEVER. Good piece of gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk