Does this scope exist? Thick reticle, light, dials

Trying to get my dad into a scope we can trust to dial. Unfortunately he really struggled to see thin reticles. Or I’d just get him a credo. Currently is using a Nikon pro staff 5 that I don’t trust.

0-500 elk gun
Sfp/thick reticle
Holds zero
Dials
Capped/smallish windage
3-15 “ish”
Not insanely heavy
He’s used to moa but I think would try mils

So far I’m thinking maybe:

trijicon accupoint 4-16
Shv 4-14
Meopta6 2.5-15?
Maybe find a SFP Swfa 3-15

Am I forgetting something?

Last edited:

MichaelC

FNG
Classified Approved
I have been looking for something similar but there seems to be a gap in that spec area; not a ton of 3-15ish scopes that have features we want with the reticule.
However, if your dad is used to MOA I would not get a mil scope. I made that error. I am a high power rifle competitor and read wind in MOA, all my iron sights and scopes are MOA. I shoot matches in the wind from 200-1000 monthly and MOA is how I look at wind, and come ups ect. Unfortunately when I built a PRS rifle I got a mil scope for it because that is how all the PRS competitors discuss everything and I wanted to be able to learn from them. However, I was constantly trying to convert what I was seeing into mils and screwing it up and not making hits. I was lucky to trade my exact scope for the same in MOA with a guy and I am good now (took over a year to find someone). But in the interm, I bought a new scope (1800 bucks) and should have just stuck with what I know.

mcdil

FNG
Not sure of the budget, but I wouldn't forget about the Tenmile HX in 3x18x44. A little over 24oz, should be just right, I think. A hair lighter than a really solid NXS (great option too), but capped windage, which you mentioned was important, and the NXS is exposed.

mcseal2

WKR
I've had good luck with Huskemaw 4-16x scopes on a couple rifles that see a lot of use. One is on the 300 win mag I have taken to AK 3 times and used on almost all my western hunts for the last 7 years. The other is on a 243 that sees a lot of time bouncing around in the truck or UTV working or calling coyotes.

No lighted reticle on that model if you need that, but I'm assuming you mean light weight, not lighted reticle.

I have 6 of the Huskemaw scopes now and have never had an issue with them. 2 of the 5-20x on my coyote calling AR and my 264 win mag deer rifle. The two mentioned above, an old 3-12x on a new 270 Hells Canyon, and a 1-6x on a Ruger Scout rifle.

OP
DangerRanger
I have been looking for something similar but there seems to be a gap in that spec area; not a ton of 3-15ish scopes that have features we want with the reticule.
However, if your dad is used to MOA I would not get a mil scope. I made that error. I am a high power rifle competitor and read wind in MOA, all my iron sights and scopes are MOA. I shoot matches in the wind from 200-1000 monthly and MOA is how I look at wind, and come ups ect. Unfortunately when I built a PRS rifle I got a mil scope for it because that is how all the PRS competitors discuss everything and I wanted to be able to learn from them. However, I was constantly trying to convert what I was seeing into mils and screwing it up and not making hits. I was lucky to trade my exact scope for the same in MOA with a guy and I am good now (took over a year to find someone). But in the interm, I bought a new scope (1800 bucks) and should have just stuck with what I know.
He is not terrible into the moa either, I converted him to dialing relatively recently and he gets it but he’s not judging wind speed in moa he’s using a chart with rough wind speeds that I print out for him, so I don’t think he is so deep into it that it’s a big issue.

I’ve definitively considered it not optimal though for this reason.

Dennis

WKR
The closest I have found are the Swarovski Z5 3-18 X 44 with 4W reticle 15.9 oz, or Nightforce NXS 2.5 -10 X 42 with MOAR reticle at 20.5 oz.

OP
DangerRanger
Not sure of the budget, but I wouldn't forget about the Tenmile HX in 3x18x44. A little over 24oz, should be just right, I think. A hair lighter than a really solid NXS (great option too), but capped windage, which you mentioned was important, and the NXS is exposed.
My biggest issues with the tenmiles and credos is reticles and SFP with an 18x makes it even harder to have your graduations accurate and also a decent field of view. I think I’d maybe spring for an accupoint over the tenmile for the reticle issue (for him)

OP
DangerRanger
I’m thinking on the shv 3-10 but do wish it was exposed elevation like the nxs
The closest I have found are the Swarovski Z5 3-18 X 44 with 4W reticle 15.9 oz, or Nightforce NXS 2.5 -10 X 42 with MOAR reticle at 20.5 oz.

I wish trijicon had a 2.5-10x42 instead of the x56 Hubble

mcdil

FNG
My biggest issues with the tenmiles and credos is reticles and SFP with an 18x makes it even harder to have your graduations accurate and also a decent field of view. I think I’d maybe spring for an accupoint over the tenmile for the reticle issue (for him)
I see your point there for sure. However, with a lower power overall at the top in a SFP scope, the reticle subtensions are just tiny and harder to see in general. Something I've considered for myself after a brief conversation with Broz is potentially dialing for both elevation and windage if shooting past max point blank ranges, i.e. anything considered calculated and deliberate. The big advantage here is when adjusting for both, FFP or SFP no longer matters. You aim at the center crosshair or floating dot, etc. If the first shot is slightly off target, you adjust fire based off the scope reticle (hash marks from center to splash both vertical and horizontal if need be) from whatever magnification it's then set at. Again, in this scenario, FFP/SFP doesn't matter, the offset is the offset, unless you adjust magnification on a SFP between shots, which that will never happen, so really a nonissue.

I will say, as a person who has always dialed for elevation and held for wind, this really had me rethinking my setups and definitely makes a SFP scope the clear winner for a hunting setup, because the reticle is so much more useful in the lower magnification ranges where field of view and quick target acquisition at close range is of utmost importance. It's also what's made me rethink the NXS line as the windage is already exposed and ideal for that kind of setup.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Trying to get my dad into a scope we can trust to dial. Unfortunately he really struggled to see thin reticles. Or I’d just get him a credo. Currently is using a Nikon pro staff 5 that I don’t trust.

0-500 elk gun
Sfp/thick reticle
Holds zero
Dials
Capped/smallish windage
3-15 “ish”
Not insanely heavy
He’s used to moa but I think would try mils
Am I forgetting something?

S&B Klassiks with the BDC (mil) elevation turret. It’s made exactly for what you are asking for.

OP
DangerRanger
S&B Klassiks with the BDC (mil) elevation turret. It’s made exactly for what you are asking for.
I’ve thought that was probably the best bet, they are just brutally hard to find for less than a grand.

I need to look up how thick the reticle is, I know they are ffp. not the easiest scopes to flip if he doesn’t like the reticle.

Appears to be .6 mil. Not bad

Last edited:

atmat

WKR
I’ve thought that was probably the best bet, they are just brutally hard to find for less than a grand.

I need to look up how thick the reticle is, I know they are ffp. not the easiest scopes to flip if he doesn’t like the reticle.

I have the 3-12x42 with the illuminated P3 reticle. It’s super easy to use at 3x. The thicker outer bars do a great job of drawing the eye in.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Something I've considered for myself after a brief conversation with Broz is potentially dialing for both elevation and windage if shooting past max point blank ranges, i.e. anything considered calculated and deliberate. The big advantage here is when adjusting for both, FFP or SFP no longer matters. You aim at the center crosshair or floating dot, etc. If the first shot is slightly off target, you adjust fire based off the scope reticle (hash marks from center to splash both vertical and horizontal if need be) from whatever magnification it's then set at. Again, in this scenario, FFP/SFP doesn't matter, the offset is the offset, unless you adjust magnification on a SFP between shots, which that will never happen, so really a nonissue.

People don’t adjust power after shoooting?

People adjust power after shooting all the time. The most common scenario is to turn power up all the way up, shoot, lose animal in scope due to recoil or animal moving, unable to find animal again, turn power down to find it, then slowly turn it up to where they want, shoot again, and restart the process all over again.
Any cursory glance at hunting videos on YouTube, or- any experience beyond rank beginner shows this behavior constantly.

I will say, as a person who has always dialed for elevation and held for wind, this really had me rethinking my setups and definitely makes a SFP scope the clear winner for a hunting setup, because the reticle is so much more useful in the lower magnification ranges where field of view and quick target acquisition at close range is of utmost importance. It's also what's made me rethink the NXS line as the windage is already exposed and ideal for that kind of setup.

There is only one type of hunting where dialing wind is even remotely usable and won’t result in frequent issues- dedicated long range with a bench or prone from a fixed position. Even still, I have watched people miss dial, forget to dial, forget to reset to zero the dial, miss opportunities because the wind switched and they couldn’t dial fast enough, and miss and/or wound animals because the wind switched and they tried to fudge it. In broad based western hunting, or really any field shooting, dialing windage is sub optimum. I have known, shot, and hunted with many people that dialed wind- including myself when I started shooting long range; and not one was consistent and on demand doing so in spot and stalk hunting. Screw ups specifically with windage dialing were/are common in all situations.

Juxtaposed over that, is that the only issue that comes up with holding wind, is holding the wrong way. That always involves inexperienced people, and is easy and quick to correct with a modicum of practice.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

The P3 is a good reticle, however if this is mainly for the East Coast, or if 500 yards will not be the norm, look at the L3 reticle as well. It is tailor made for shooting in low light.

OP
DangerRanger
The P3 is a good reticle, however if this is mainly for the East Coast, or if 500 yards will not be the norm, look at the L3 reticle as well. It is tailor made for shooting in low light.
No this is a rifle he uses only for western trips, elk and mule deer usually 2-400.

This is over budget but I may pay the difference to have it done with. This looks like the best option by a large margin

atmat

WKR
No this is a rifle he uses only for western trips, elk and mule deer usually 2-400.

This is over budget but I may pay the difference to have it done with. This looks like the best option by a large margin
Call EuroOptic. They gave me a much better deal than advertised.

atmat

WKR
I need to call them, the 4-16 p3 really does look like the best option (3-12 is OOS)
I don’t think that one comes with the dialing elevation turret. It’s not on every model.

Edit: I was wrong. It does, but with very limited dialable elevation (1.6 mil!!!!)

Attachments

• IMG_4647.jpeg
    IMG_4647.jpeg
    76.5 KB · Views: 24