Done with 215 Bergers

Target bullets for hunting?! How unethical!!

on a serious note, maybe I’ll start drilling out my Lapua scenar tips after reading this thread...sure kills them dead without drilling but I doubt it can hurt.

tdhanses

WKR
Target bullets for hunting?! How unethical!!

on a serious note, maybe I’ll start drilling out my Lapua scenar tips after reading this thread...sure kills them dead without drilling but I doubt it can hurt.
Yup you got us, thanks for clearing the air on ethics. Does the lapua have a cavity? Couldn’t hurt.

Yup you got us, thanks for clearing the air on ethics. Does the lapua have a cavity? Couldn’t hurt.
It does have a cavity. I have not had a bad experience hunting with match bullets and maybe keeping the tip open will keep it that way

RMajors

Lil-Rokslider
Why anybody ever thought it was a good idea to hunt with modified target bullets, ill never know. If you're gonna shoot lead at all at big game (I don't), why wouldn't you shoot a bonded core like a Nosler accubond lr or even better a Barnes lrx? I'd hate to know how many animals are lost each year because of these bullets. And for what, .1 extra bc that you don't really need? I've always laughed at anybody who mentioned Berger and hunting in the same sentence.

tdhanses

WKR
Why anybody ever thought it was a good idea to hunt with modified target bullets, ill never know. If you're gonna shoot lead at all at big game (I don't), why wouldn't you shoot a bonded core like a Nosler accubond lr or even better a Barnes lrx? I'd hate to know how many animals are lost each year because of these bullets. And for what, .1 extra bc that you don't really need? I've always laughed at anybody who mentioned Berger and hunting in the same sentence.
I laugh at anyone that recommends the accubond LR. Stick with what your used to, I’ll keep killing with Bergers. If you only shoot at 300yds you are right the extra BC isn’t a big deal.

Truthfully, all bullets have a failure story, shot placement is what matters.

Last edited:

EastMT

WKR
I laugh at anyone that recommends the accubond LR. Stick with what your used to, I’ll keep killing with Bergers. If you only shoot at 300yds you are right the extra BC isn’t a big deal.

Yes the LRAB is the worst IMO. I don’t use Berger’s, but that one is terrible unless you plan on impact almost subsonic, I wouldn’t touch them again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RMajors

Lil-Rokslider

Dude my 308 will stack 168 Nosler ballistic tips at 600 yards all day. Does that mean that bc doesn't matter, no. But BC isn't a big a deal as people make it out to be. As long as your bullet and dope are reliably accurate, who cares about BC? I admit I have no personal experience with ablr bullets, but I've heard good things about them from western hunters on here. I personally shoot mono bullets out of magnum calibers and would have no qualms about shooting elk at 500-600 yards with them, regardless of bc.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I have two buddies that are Native Americans. They have shot hundreds of elk with 180 grain Nosler Ballistic tips with a 30-378. Haha! I asked them why they don’t shoot a hunting bullet. They both said they don’t like tracking them.

I love when people that have no first had experience tell you how it is.....

RMajors

Lil-Rokslider
I have two buddies that are Native Americans. They have shot hundreds of elk with 180 grain Nosler Ballistic tips with a 30-378. Haha! I asked them why they don’t shoot a hunting bullet. They both said they don’t like tracking them.

I love when people that have no first had experience tell you how it is.....
Nosler ballistic tips are hunting bullets. They sell them as a varmint bullet in smaller calibers, and they shoot for me about as good as Sierra matchkings, but they are classified by Nosler as hunting bullets. I used to hunt with the 7mm and 30 cal varieties before I switched to monos. Lots of people say they blow up on bone, but I only ever had one lose a jacket in hundreds of deer killed. Only reason I switched is because I don't want to eat lead.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201102-211818_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201102-211818_Chrome.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 38

Sadler

WKR
Yes the LRAB is the worst IMO. I don’t use Berger’s, but that one is terrible unless you plan on impact almost subsonic, I wouldn’t touch them again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My brother and I had a few failures with the LRABs last year in his 28 nosler. They failed to open from 100-400 yards on three elk and a mule deer. They just pencil holed right through. All factory and the same lot but I’m definitely not going to be using them again.

Dude my 308 will stack 168 Nosler ballistic tips at 600 yards all day. Does that mean that bc doesn't matter, no. But BC isn't a big a deal as people make it out to be. As long as your bullet and dope are reliably accurate, who cares about BC? I admit I have no personal experience with ablr bullets, but I've heard good things about them from western hunters on here. I personally shoot mono bullets out of magnum calibers and would have no qualms about shooting elk at 500-600 yards with them, regardless of bc.
Wind drift.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Nosler ballistic tips are hunting bullets. They sell them as a varmint bullet in smaller calibers, and they shoot for me about as good as Sierra matchkings, but they are classified by Nosler as hunting bullets. I used to hunt with the 7mm and 30 cal varieties before I switched to monos. Lots of people say they blow up on bone, but I only ever had one lose a jacket in hundreds of deer killed. Only reason I switched is because I don't want to eat lead.
There ain’t much difference between the BT and the Berger target bullet construction wise. In fact the BT are probably more explosive because of the tip.

RMajors

Lil-Rokslider
There ain’t much difference between the BT and the Berger target bullet construction wise. In fact the BT are probably more explosive because of the tip.
Maybe at the front, but the base on the nosler is pretty thick. I always got great penetration and exit holes on deer. Elk would probably be different, but maybe not, I couldn't say. I know I shot a 350lb boar with a 140 nosler bt 7mm rem mag through the shoulder and it came out the backside shoulder. From my understanding, bergers are not meant to exit. I only ever had one jacket separation from a nosler bt, and that is their supposed Achilles heel. I've shot 100's of deer and pigs with them, and the one jacket separation was a drt kill anyway.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Maybe at the front, but the base on the nosler is pretty thick. I always got great penetration and exit holes on deer. Elk would probably be different, but maybe not, I couldn't say. I know I shot a 350lb boar with a 140 nosler bt 7mm rem mag through the shoulder and it came out the backside shoulder. From my understanding, bergers are not meant to exit. I only ever had one jacket separation from a nosler bt, and that is their supposed Achilles heel. I've shot 100's of deer and pigs with them, and the one jacket separation was a drt kill anyway.
They defiantly do have more junk in the trunk. I guess I haven't seen too many that have existed. They seem to act very much like the 215s IME. Just deadly!