Don't underestimate old guy strength

Ucsdryder

WKR
It's a CrossFit thing. Named after a service member that was killed in Afghanistan. A Murph is:

- One mile run
- 100 pull ups
- 200 push ups
- 300 squats
- 1 mile run

As fast as you can. The really hardcore guys do it in weight vests and such.
Are they actually pull-ups and pushups or the swing as far as you can like you’re a snake pull-ups that aren’t actually a pull up? 100 real pull ups will take most people a while! The ones where you extend at the bottom and put your chin over the bar at the top with your legs dangling.

1jeds

FNG
Are they actually pull-ups and pushups or the swing as far as you can like you’re a snake pull-ups that aren’t actually a pull up? 100 real pull ups will take most people a while! The ones where you extend at the bottom and put your chin over the bar at the top with your legs dangling.

They are typically done with kipping (flopping around) pullups, but I refuse to do them and do strict pullups for Murph

OP
Lil-Rokslider
Atta boy!

Not sure why they call them pull ups. Call them something else. It’s not a pull up.
I'll agree that they should be called something else. I do plenty of strict pull ups in other workouts, and they're definitely 2 different things.

But a kipping pull up (until we come up with another name) done correctly is not just flopping around. It is controlled, and requires arms fully extended at the bottom and chin over the bar at the top. Plenty of people do them wrong, and I understand why people poke fun at them.

intunegp

WKR

That depends on the person I guess. Typically the only part that's strict/ordered is starting with a mile and ending with a mile. The pullups, pushups, and squats can be broken into sets as needed. So you might do 10 pullups, 30 squats, 20 pushups, and repeat 10 times. 60-80 minutes is a pretty typical time for someone that isn't a stranger to working out, serious athletes can do it in under 45. Good ol' Zuckerberg claimed he did it in like 40 minutes a while back.

CorbLand

WKR
In high school my dad came into the weight room one day to see what I was up to and to pick my sister up from school. I was training for football and had just benched 275 for a couple of reps.

Dad hadn’t lifted in a loooong time.
He repped it 10 times, but 315 on and repped it 8. Walked away like it was nothing. Only thing he said was “don’t forget I can always whip your ass”

He was 43

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The whole dad in weight room reminded me of when I was in high school.

There was a kid, he was nothing to look at, but his dad was a wanna be body builder and he would come in every time we had "max" day in weights. Not kidding, the dad would show up with every wrap, glove, brace you could think of. He would wrap his kid up in it all and "help" him. Well one day we were doing squats and he did a max of ~310 with knee braces and his legs in some wrap deal to make sure they stayed together.

Now, I am and never have been any form of physical specimen but all my strength has always been in my legs. I had 430 on the bar and that was going to be my max.

Kid gets done with his and I look over and say "hey, leave that weight on there, that will work perfect for me." Walked over, pounded it out a couple times, stretched a little more and then pounded out 430 in a cut off captain morgan shirt, walmart basketball shorts and grass stained nikes. I dont know why but we all found that really funny back then.

Also, yes, anyone over the age of 35, you are old. I dont make the rules.

Hold my legs and maybe I can get 100 pullups in....

WCB

WKR
Besides the just physical old man strength...I believe part of that is mental strength and attitude. At least the older guys I grew up around (grandpa, dad, uncles, and their friends). Just generally have a different attitude towards hard work or being comfortable. I'm 38 dad is 70 grandpa is 94 (lived on his own and did his own land maintenance and hunted all over until he was 90).

Never heard them complain about tasks or physical labor and when it came to being uncomfortable...they hunted sheep and goats in the 70s and 80s in jeans, flannels, and down vests. Ask them how you stayed warm and dry their answer was " you didn't...we were always cold and wet...then they'd chuckle"

But just incase he is physically and mentally tough:

Attachments

• caddy shack.gif
    caddy shack.gif
    390.4 KB · Views: 56

chasewild

WKR
I'm not that old. Only 36. But my fitness has definitely fallen off a bit in the last few years.

That being said, I still do the "Murph" workout every year. I've been getting gradually slower since my peak at about age 31.

Well, this young guy (23) that works for me started talking some friendly trash about beating me at Murph, and called me old. He's never done Murph before, and he's not a real impressive specimen, but he does some running and lifting a few days a week.

Anyways, I went with it. I agreed with him that I'm getting old and I've lost a step in my old age. I told him that he should come over this year and do Murph with us, even though he'd probably beat me. Then I started training with an extra fire that I haven't had in a while. It's been fun to have some extra motivation, and push myself a little harder, and I think there's a chance that I get a fair bit faster this year.

Anyways, that kid doesn't know the fire he lit, and he won't till memorial day. He keeps talking smack at work, and I just smile and agree with him.
Destroy him.

I'm not that old. Only 36. But my fitness has definitely fallen off a bit in the last few years.

That being said, I still do the "Murph" workout every year. I've been getting gradually slower since my peak at about age 31.

Well, this young guy (23) that works for me started talking some friendly trash about beating me at Murph, and called me old. He's never done Murph before, and he's not a real impressive specimen, but he does some running and lifting a few days a week.

Anyways, I went with it. I agreed with him that I'm getting old and I've lost a step in my old age. I told him that he should come over this year and do Murph with us, even though he'd probably beat me. Then I started training with an extra fire that I haven't had in a while. It's been fun to have some extra motivation, and push myself a little harder, and I think there's a chance that I get a fair bit faster this year.

Anyways, that kid doesn't know the fire he lit, and he won't till memorial day. He keeps talking smack at work, and I just smile and agree with him.
dude, you are still a yound buck. 30's is prime time!