Double Rainbow vs Double Rainbow DW

gostovp

WKR
Anyone have experience with both the Double Rainbow with clip in liner vs the Double Rainbow DW? I’m pretty much sold on a DR, but wondering about the pluses and minuses of each of these models.

OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
Things like;
Condensation issues/management between the DR and DR DW
Any setup or pitch issues with either? Is one more easy than the other?
Wind and water resistance between the two
Packability/stuff ability between them

Mudd Foot

WKR
My tent is the Double Wall version of the Double Rainbow, so my comments are limited to it. My version is the first iteration (silnylon)before the switch to polyester.

The DW is spacious, breathes well, handles inclement weather very well, and is well executed across the various quality metrics. It’s a great tent. Downsides are it’s kind of a pain to pack due to the center pole and cross pole, and requires multiple steps to set up versus other options. I have to reacquaint myself with the set-up/packing every time I go to use it. Great tent though. If that is your bent, buy with confidence.

That said, my personal preference is the XMID 2. It’s a longer interior, easier to pack, super simple to set up, super easy to get set up correctly, and the dual vestibules make shielding gear from rain much easier. Weight differential is slightly less than the DR DW. The biggest difference is the intuitive nature of the set-up when the weather is bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
Yeah I was leaning X-mid, then to the Double Rainbow…now I just can’t decide

Mudd Foot

WKR
Either option is great; it really boils down to a couple of differences and whether those features are of enough importance to warrant a hard stop on the other.

Wanted to comment about removing the trekking poles from a tent during the day while leaving it staked to the ground. Am assuming your sleep system is in the interior.

Trekking pole tents require tension to remain stable and deflect rain or wind. Unless money were an issue, I would just buy Durston’s poles as two of them are 6.5 oz total.

If the wind were to be gusting, and I’m not sure where it doesn’t; without the poles providing tension it is a giant sail/kite begging to be uprooted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
Yeah I’m not keen on removing the trekking poles and leaving the tent unpitched

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Yeah I’m not keen on removing the trekking poles and leaving the tent unpitched
If you do (I have) you’ll want to leave rocks on top or something. As mentioned the durston poles are light/awesome. I take 1 trek pole with me during the day on more demanding hunts and have a single durston pole I pair with my other trek pole to facilitate this.