Down Boot Insulators

rootacres

WKR
Not really sure what these things are called. Basically Im wondering if anyone has tried the down boot covers that you slip over your boots after getting to your stand? I have some Alphaburrly Pro 1600s but when it gets down below 30* I have a hard time keeping my feet warm during my long sits. And my sister in law struggles keeping her feet warm in general. Anyone use these? If so which ones?

I have the synthetic ones and only used in a turkey blind. I put the adhesive heat packs on my toes (top) when getting ready to walk to stand. They will last 4-6 hours.
In Burly type Cabelas boots. I think 2000's.

Not down, but I use the arctic shield boot blankets. I found that wearing my uninsulated hunting boots with the arctic shields over them was more effective than with my xtra tuffs. Toss a couple hand warmers in there and you’re good. Used this set up down to around 20 degrees, then used the arctic shields over my pacs when it got colder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dham6574

FNG
I'd check some more backpacking oriented sites like backcountry.com, a lot of those guys use them to get some extra value out of a sleeping bag

Not sure about down ones that would hold up in terms of durability, but I recall Outdoor Research makes some, although not sure if they're designed to go over a boot. I've seen others on the forum recommend ArcticShield boot covers. I have a pair and they do the trick, toss in a hand warmer for extra warmth. Although in recent years in real cold weather, I have favored heavy boots from Cabela's - not sure if they make them anymore though or maybe a different name now. Searching online pics come up of them as Trans Alaska Pac Boots.

dtrkyman

WKR
Artic shield here, nice thing is they are light enough to pack in on western hunts as well as tree stand use, durable.

I would suggest sizing up if possible!

You are probably getting sweaty feet in those 1600 walking in!

Key to the artic shield is getting them asap once on stand, they will capture that heat from walking in, really cold temps throw a tow warmer in each.

Icebreaker boot blankets work as good as advertised but are synthetic. I've been thinking about having a custom down pair made but haven't committed to it yet.

WCB

WKR
If you have 1600 and are getting cold feet in 30* weather. I would look at a couple things....#1 do you socks fit properly and are you getting sweaty walking in. I would then also look at boot fit. Loosen your boots when you get to your stand. wear thinner or looser fitting socks. Constriction is a warmth killer.

I wear uninsulated boots down to about 30 with proper socks and have no issues for normal evening sits. Colder than that I use at most 800gram boots with properly fitted socks but as soon as I get to the stand I #1 change socks if my feet feel damp and/or loosen my boots once in my stand.

As for the boot covers my dad has used them and actually takes his feet out of his boots and throws a couple hand warmers in each boot cover and sticks his feet in them without the boots and swears his feet are way warmer than in his boots.

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
I got frostbite on my feet a few years ago so my feet are impacted by the cold pretty easily now. I go through a fair amount of measures to keep my feet warm.

1) I’ll echo what others have said about well-fitting (and quality!) socks. If you jam too many layers in your boots you lose circulation and warm blood. I only wear one pair of merino socks (Darn Tough FTW) no matter the temp.

2) Sweaty feet. Avoid this like the plague. I will often change my socks when I get to the tree to avoid it. Not walking too fast is also a means of avoiding it.

3) What are you putting your feet on when you get to the stand? If it’s metal it can suck the warmth out of your feet easier than you’d think. I will often bring a little carpet square to put my feet on.

4) Boot warmers. If it’s really cold I’ll put the full length boot warmers in when I get to the stand.

5) The rest of you needs to stay warm too. Keeping your core warm is key or your extremities will suffer.

+1 on the arctic shield boot insulators. They extended my season significantly this year.

I have multiple sits in 20 degrees or colder in my rubber boots this year, all with the boot insulators. My feet sweat profusely, so rubber boots ALWAYS mean damp feet. And damp feet are cold. I've tried changing socks, it didn't matter - my feet just sweat through regardless.

Carry the insulators in with you, when you arrive at your stand, put them on immediately. I found that with my 800 gram boots I wanted chemical hand warmer in there once it dipped below 20.

I wear size 13 alphaburlys in the 800 gram insulation. They barely fit in the largest arctic shield covers they make, but they do fit.

150plusB&C

Lil-Rokslider
Take a pair of old wool socks. The old school super thick ones. Roll it in approximately 4 in sections to get to the toe. Slide over toe of boot. Slide hot hands preferably the bigger body warmers into the roll on top of boot. Packs super easy and light. Not bulky in tree stands. Easiest way I’ve found
0ee5bd1703317851530db329a37d14b4.jpg

9fc99df1fde8d9b9d0ba7a6d54c6874d.jpg

150plusB&C

Lil-Rokslider
Also you can put a hh on your ankles. Slide it down on top of foot under the tongue.

OP
rootacres

rootacres

WKR
If you have 1600 and are getting cold feet in 30* weather. I would look at a couple things....#1 do you socks fit properly and are you getting sweaty walking in. I would then also look at boot fit. Loosen your boots when you get to your stand. wear thinner or looser fitting socks. Constriction is a warmth killer.

I wear uninsulated boots down to about 30 with proper socks and have no issues for normal evening sits. Colder than that I use at most 800gram boots with properly fitted socks but as soon as I get to the stand I #1 change socks if my feet feel damp and/or loosen my boots once in my stand.

As for the boot covers my dad has used them and actually takes his feet out of his boots and throws a couple hand warmers in each boot cover and sticks his feet in them without the boots and swears his feet are way warmer than in his boots.
No question part of my problem is the socks and Im sure with some of the walks I have to get to my spots there is some sweat too. Ive just been wearing a Darn Tough Micro Crew and they are snug. It's not always but sits under 30* where I am out there for 5, 6, 7+ hours I start fighting getting cold. I just figured I could try these booty things and not have to worry about anything else. It's not unbearable cold, but it's just the weak link on some of my hunts.

I also think a 1000 gram rating on a rubber boot will perform different than a 1000 gram rating on a pack boot. With where I am usually hunting a rubber boot is a must.

It's already been mentioned a few times above, but this is what I do to keep my toes warm in the stand and it works for me down below 0°.

-hike in with uninsulated boots
-put on arctic shield boot covers immediately when I get into the stand
-place a big hand warmer on the top of each foot (it is critical to take the hand warmer out of the package at least 20-30 minutes before you place them in the boot)

The only time my toes will get slightly chilly is in the first 10-15 minutes as my boots warm up and push a little cold towards my toes. After that, the longer I sit the warmer my toes get.

Macintosh

WKR
Echoing wcb and sconnie above—if you have a 1600g boot (even rubber) and are still cold, more insulation on your feet is not going to fix it. Thats a royal ton of insulation already—address the other issues people mentioned for better results, keep head and core warmer, no perspiration on feet, especially make sure socks and boots arent too tight for completely unrestricted circulation, and if you are still cold try adding a chemical foot warmer or use a electric heated sock (still minding your circulation).

Last edited:

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
Get a better lace up boot that is breathable and that will help a lot. I use synthetic boot blankets with a handwarmer and they work great.