Dressing for the walk into the woods

Junibravo

FNG
I was hunting a friends treestand last year which was about 400 yards from the road. In my camo gear, i would be sweating by the time i got to the stand. I do run cold so i dress in multiple layers, usually with a bib for colder days.
this year i am planning more public land saddle hunting which will likely be even more walking. How do others dress on the hike in to minimize sweating. Do you keep your top layers in a pack?

OMB

WKR
I usually dress very light and carry my outer layers either in or strapped to the outside of my day pack and dress when I get to my spot. I've even been wearing uninsulated boots lately and just bring a set of boot blankets with handwarmer tossed in and haven't had any issues down to about 15 degrees. If you're carrying in a stand or saddle set up, probably want to be looking at one of the larger daypacks.

PMcGee

WKR
I walk in in my base layers most of the time. Have all my outer layers in my pack. Doesn’t take that long to get dressed at the bottom of my tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I just carry my layers in my pack and walk in with just a tshirt or long sleeve tee (first lite wick or just an Academy tech fabric tee). If it’s pretty cold I wear a hoodie and if it’s really really cold I’ll wear a down vest. I pretty much never wear my bibs or my heavy jacket when hiking in just because sweating makes it so much worse when you do settle down and get cold.

I never wear more than a base layer top to walk to stand.
If it's cold I carry bibs to the tree.
Boot blankets are the answer for your feet.

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
I wear only whatever I won’t sweat in and that’s usually not much. Rest gets strapped to my daypack and put on in tree or at blind as needed

yakattak

FNG
I was hunting a friends treestand last year which was about 400 yards from the road. In my camo gear, i would be sweating by the time i got to the stand. I do run cold so i dress in multiple layers, usually with a bib for colder days.
this year i am planning more public land saddle hunting which will likely be even more walking. How do others dress on the hike in to minimize sweating. Do you keep your top layers in a pack?
Like what a lot of folks of said on here I usually walk in with baselayers on. With a saddle system I would then put everything on before ascending the tree. Once in the tree I’d regulate heat by opening zippers and with a beanie/neck gaiter.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Yep pretty much what everyone else has said, t shirt or base layer on, bibs or heavy jacket in my pack and walk in, pretty standard.

I have known people that take an extra shirt and socks to change into when they get to their stand, so they are wearing non sweat soaked clothes. I havent done that, but i could see it being helpful as well

ChrisAU

WKR
No matter how cold it is I generally start wearing only my thin outer layer pants (Kuiu Kutana or FL Guides) and a long sleeve base layer, and a hat. When I get to the stand I add everything else for the conditions. This is where zip off base layer bottoms are awesome.

WRM

WKR
As light as I can stand going in, which usually is pretty light given the effort and distances I'm often travelling. Amazing how much you warm up in freezing temps when you bike and walk into the miles category.

I really liked the new Naglev boot style that I got near the end of last year. An uninsulated boot is the way to go, with boot blankets (for as long as you can stand that). Hot feet = hot, sweaty rest of you. Cold feet suck too. I have have poor circulation in my hands and feet, so I've got to plan accordingly there. I know when I will need to go to insulated boots, but that's a personal call.

I pretty much only wear Brynje base layers because they are so good at both moisture management and warmth, even at rest. I have a few styles/weights geared for the temp and humidity level I'll face. Also agree the newer zip off merino bottoms gives you a great set of options to mix n match.

Also a big fan of Buffalo gear, again with moisture management as prime concern. If it's super cold going in, I may wear my Buffalo bibs in and pull on my top once I get in stand. If it get's really cold/windy, I'll pull over an Apex layer. Just got an EE Torrid for that very purpose. And, I'll throw on a pile lined neck gaiter and pile lined hat. Once you button up the chimney effect around your neck, you can withstand some seriously cold weather.

I'm bald, so I have a pretty respectable beanie collection. I'll take 2-3 on a hunt of various weights.

But, you can't wear nearly all that stuff going in--unless you're trying to make a lower weight class for some reason. So, I use my EXO pack to stuff it all in. Once I'm in, I'm not coming out, so I take what I think I will need.

Lowg08

WKR
Be bold and start cold....
This is advice to be used. I will walk in in basically as little as I can. I carry everything in plum down to dry socks and underwear. I walk in in a old pair of Kanabs, wick t shirt and a Klamath hoodie and pack in the clothes for a day. I’m going to try a new idea this year. I have went and bought pants with large hip vents mid layers with hip vents and various base weight merino bases. Going to try and walk in fully unzipped down to skin

I literally wear a long sleeve t-shirt and bibs, but the bibs are unzipped as much as possible. I’ll do this if it is 15 degrees. I hate getting hot walking insulated close. Everything goes in the pack and I put it on at the stand.

I’ve toyed with adding a lightweight wind jacket like the OR Ferrosi for the windy days.

TSAMP

WKR
It's also worth noting. Take your time on the walk in. It doesn't need to be a death March. I never wear my coat but have worn bibs with 2 mile hikes and take it slow and it's possible to be OK. Moral of the story is its user/terrain specific. If ur sweating its an issue.

*zap*

WKR
So, I am usually walking .5 to 1 mile each way. Unless it is below 20° and/or very windy I am usually starting off in my pants
(attacks, pro's, timberline or similar) and a Kuiu 97 hoodie zipped up all the way with a 97 beanie, neck gaiter and the hood on. I adjust head/neck wear & hoodie zipper as needed.....Can be carrying 20-50#, depending. Start very cold and you will not sweat......guaranteed.

I use fanatic bibs so they stay in the pack for in/out as does any jacket.

97 hoodie is very awesome.....everyone should have at least 2....

Last edited:
OP
J

Junibravo

FNG
I have never used boot blankets, and honestly hadnt even heard of them till this year. Last year i quit at least 2 or 3 hunts cuz of cold hands/feet. How well do they work with saddle hunting when ur standing on platforms or squirrel steps?

I have never used boot blankets, and honestly hadnt even heard of them till this year. Last year i quit at least 2 or 3 hunts cuz of cold hands/feet. How well do they work with saddle hunting when ur standing on platforms or squirrel steps?

They work great. I have had the Arctic shield for years and throw a couple hot hands in them before I walk out and they are nice and warm when I climb the stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheGreek

Lil-Rokslider
My walks into the places I hunt on public are usually at least 30 min. Over time, I've started wearing less and less clothes for the walk in and walking slower and slower to avoid overheating when it's really cold. My rule of thumb is to start the walk freezing cold and I'll be comfortable after 10 min. If I start out warm, I'll be drenched in sweat 20 min in. I will usually walk in wearing just long underwear tops and bottoms with coat and bibs in a pack or strapped to my stand. It still amazes me how warm I can make myself with little clothing when I'm on the move.

KRA-Z

FNG
I have not found one single way that helps with the sweating, other than taking hours to get to my spot.... what I do wear is wool as a base layer... even when warmer, I have different weights... I’m not too worried about any smell, believe me they know you’re there anyhow... I’ve been in the best scent block, no movement, never sweated, and still a bitch would scent me out.... I’ve also harvested after work with my greasy work clothes on... so again, I’m not worried about any scent.... but I don’t like getting cold... I’ve found, after spending more money than I care to admit, on every type of performance layers, etc... that good old wool ( meriwool) Australian I guess ( it’s soft and no itch) keeps the moisture off my skin and into the outer layer like it’s supposed to and then that expensive fabric does it’s job and I stay warm and dry...
I have tried to carry my outer layer, that just gets loaded up with hitchhikers, those prickly things, or gets dropped and stepped on.. and I end up sweating anyway...

I’ve tried many things that’s my friends say works for them, and it didn’t... so just like I finally figured out what works for me, you may just have to keep trying until your happy.

FlyGuy

WKR
I haven’t tried this yet, but I’ve been thinking about just hiking in with my spandex running tights. They work exceptionally well for running in cold weather…. Good insulation, very breathable, A little cool at first but great once the blood gets flowing.

I sweat my ass off, and I’m usually running late which doesn’t help the situation. I think I could just pull my insulated pants on right over the top of the spandex once I get to my tree as the tights don’t hold much moisture. I usually change my shirt & socks tho as they are always soaked. (I’m hunting public with a 1.5 mile hike in)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro