Dropped a bomb on this buck.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
I'm shooting a NF SHV 14x, have had it for 5 years or so.

WA high desert with 70 degree average temps during season. For some reason the maxed out 14x image looks horrendous to me beyond 450 yards...
Yeah not that that is horrible glass, but it’s not the best by any means. But a very dependable optic. If you like NF, I’d go with a 4-20 ATACR and that should blow that SHV away.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
@huntnful, what bullet are you using here at home?
Last season I shot the 7mm 169 Hammer Hunter out of a 28 nosler. This season was a 30 cal 181gr. Hammer Hunter. I'm putting a faster twist barrel on for next season and will probably shoot the 199 Hammer Hunter here in CA. They have a low BC, but are normally crazy accurate and easy to develop a load for.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Good grief. This guy is better at 1000 yards than many, if not most hunters, are at 200 yards.

Thanks for sharing the clip and photos. Do you mind sharing the total weight on your rifle as setup?
Thanks! Rifle and scope are 9lbs 4oz. Then the bipod is another 1lb.

Good shooting man!

When you treat long range like archery…shooting a bunch, in lots of conditions, practice your field positions, know your load and what your equipment is capable of in all those conditions, you can expect good results. That animal could have been 600 yards closer and some Fud would have shot him in the ass..

Hunt the Top

Lil-Rokslider
Wind blowing L to R I’m assuming? You held 20” L or took 2 MOA?… how much wind you judge it at?

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Wind blowing L to R I’m assuming? You held 20” L or took 2 MOA?… how much wind you judge it at?
Yeah it was left to right wind. I think only 3 MPH. It may have been less than 20” honestly at that speed. I know there was very little wind, that’s why I was comfortable taking the shot. It might have been a .3/.4 MIL wind hold

RussDXT

WKR
I like that we see responses questioning the ethical implications of taking a long shot all the way to back up another 27 yards to make it an even 1000.

Good shooting bud! I personally feel that if when you pull the trigger you fully expect the round to impact where you want it to (because you have practiced and tested your gear) then your gtg! Congratulations!