Dropping pack to stalk...

Laramie

WKR
So much for this lol
But you knew this is where it would go. I only carry essentials in my day pack so it goes where I go because I need everything inside it for one scenario or another. Guessing most other guys who have been doing this for any length of time feel the same way.

OP
KennethDeemer
I'm just messing around, it's classic rokslide, I'm used to it and I am sure I have participated in it ha ha

jdoyle243

FNG
Hey everyone -

not looking to have a discussion on if you should ever drop your pack or not. I've gotten pretty disciplined on how I mark my back when I drop it and I'm comfortable with that.

Where we hunt it is a lot of running ridges and then bailing into super shitty and vertical hell holes for anywhere from 2 to 4 hours. More often than not it is one way in and one way out back to where we are camped so I don't want to carry more weight than I need to on my fun 2000 vertical foot adventure lol.

Curious to know what you guys take with you and how you take it with you on a stalk. I don't want to stalk w/o:

1. water
  2. snack
  3. sidearm
  4. Kill kit
  5. Inreach.
  6. Phone.
Thanks in advance for input!
Immediately grabbing a headlamp, tourniquet, knife, phone, pistol, platypus water filter, and a roll of bright pink flagging. I like to mark my pack with the flagging but then additionally use it to mark where I shot at an animal from + heaven forbid mark last blood when trailing. All this fits in my binocular harness/pouches. I keep a side pouch on my pack that I will pop off and attach to my harness while making the stock. Usually too much weight on my chest for a full day but not shabby if just chasing down a bull/buck with my bow. Another option is to look at the option archery cache bar to stuff things into... goofy looking but a great option for backups/essentials on a stalk.

How many guys carry a daypack that can’t pack meat? Let’s say you opt for the minimal necessities in pack to minimize weight and maximize maneuverability.

Is it a standard daypack, or something with a frame or a larger pack that can expand for meat transport?

OP
KennethDeemer
How many guys carry a daypack that can’t pack meat? Let’s say you opt for the minimal necessities in pack to minimize weight and maximize maneuverability.

Is it a standard daypack, or something with a frame or a larger pack that can expand for meat transport?
I've been using the EXO 1800. Strikes the balance very well between being a great functional day pack and a mean meat hauler

RhinoKel

FNG
It sounds like there's a bit of a divide about this, with those advocating never leaving their pack behind doing so because they've become unstuck in the past. From my experience thats all a matter of distance and difficulty of getting back to the pack. I've often dropped my pack for a local stalk or approach, but I've never left its local orbit by too far, and I've probably gone no more than 300 metres from it at any given time. That said, I've always got a small daypack / final approach pack with me when I do. I've got a good mate who is ex-SF who hunts with little more than a rifle and the contents of his bumbag and bino harness. It's all a matter of comfort, skills and practicality. The more I hunt, the more comfortable I am becoming in going out with less gear; I'm constantly revaluating whether I need things based on use. Two of the biggest things that can kill people out bush are exposure and dehydration, so the thing ill never leave behind is extra water and some form of cover whether it be a jacket or a poncho. PLB is always in the bino harness as well.

^300 meters in the real mountains is far! Especially when the elk don’t cooperate or are on move and you have to go to Plan B. Then 300 m turns into 500 etc. Why drop your pack? If you’re a mountain hunter learn to hunt with your pack on. You’ll get used to it. I only take mine off when it’s time to sit, shit, or I’m actually shooting from right where I drop it.

Gerbdog

WKR
Shot all of my elk with my pack on.... and i really only train with the bino harness on..... doesnt seem to be something i notice in the moment and no effect on my shot..... and as i mentioned.... i like to think it breaks up my outline / form

RhinoKel

FNG
^300 meters in the real mountains is far! Especially when the elk don’t cooperate or are on move and you have to go to Plan B. Then 300 m turns into 500 etc. Why drop your pack? If you’re a mountain hunter learn to hunt with your pack on. You’ll get used to it. I only take mine off when it’s time to sit, shit, or I’m actually shooting from right where I drop it.
Yeah I guess I should have said it’s situation/ terrain dependent. If you’re going up or down down elevation to a great degree I wouldn’t be leaving my pack.

Idaboy

WKR
Never take off my pack,only leads to more noise/movement and then a Hassel if you don't shoot and have to start to move again and grab your pack... Took me an hr one time to find my pack after a kill shot, lesson learned, never again

DougG

FNG
For what it is worth. If I have a fresh set of batteries in my headlamp, I carry a small flashlight that is barely larger than the AAA battery that it runs on. This way, I have light if my headlamp battery dies, or if the headlamp stops working (falls off and breaks, etc.)

For what it is worth. If I have a fresh set of batteries in my headlamp, I carry a small flashlight that is barely larger than the AAA battery that it runs on. This way, I have light if my headlamp battery dies, or if the headlamp stops working (falls off and breaks, etc.)
Sure you responded to the right thread bud? Your post makes no sense.

DougG

FNG
Thank you for bringing that to my attention Bigborealaska. Sorry if my post was confusing. I should have clarified that the additional item I take is a headlamp and a flashlight (barely bigger than the AAA battery that powers it) as a backup.

I was responding to the initial question of:

"Curious to know what you guys take with you and how you take it with you on a stalk. I don't want to stalk w/o:

1. water
  2. snack
  3. sidearm
  4. Kill kit
  5. Inreach.
  6. Phone.
Thanks in advance for input!"

Luckyrxc

FNG
Dropping the correct pack, makes zero sense.

Stone Glacier Evo frame and the Access Bag weigh <3 pounds…yet carries all essentials ultra comfortably, and still yet-will haul 250 pounds easily.

You’re not saving anything, if you practice how you hunt.
That’s just my opinion.
I tend to agree with spike camp. I want survival items on my person in case I get separated from my pack, but plan to never get separated from it. If the pack is heavy enough to consider leaving behind for a big side trip, I would evaluate if I have the right pack and the right kit inside. Can it be upgraded with lighter stuff or can any of the stuff be omitted? To each his or her own but my OCD won't allow me to be separated from stuff I need when it gets dark, gets stormy, gets cold, I get injured, get an animal down, etc.

rclouse79

WKR
I know a meadow that has elk move into it more evenings than not. If you know where the elk are, I would drop your pack sooner than later if you choose to drop it. One time I undid the buckle on my hip belt, and it popped because it was under tension. I was close enough for that to blow the stalk. I have thought about bringing a fanny pack with water and some hard candies. I have found the excitement of knowing I am close to elk makes my mount get dry.
Edit: I am very familiar with this area and take the same trail into the meadow every time, so losing my pack is not a concern. I would not drop my pack if I were in a new area I wasn't familiar with.

I know a meadow that has elk move into it more evenings than not. If you know where the elk are, I would drop your pack sooner than later if you choose to drop it. One time I undid the buckle on my hip belt, and it popped because it was under tension. I was close enough for that to blow the stalk. I have thought about bringing a fanny pack with water and some hard candies. I have found the excitement of knowing I am close to elk makes my mount get dry.
Edit: I am very familiar with this area and take the same trail into the meadow every time, so losing my pack is not a concern. I would not drop my pack if I were in a new area I wasn't familiar with.

My wife and I were in an otc alpine bowl 5 miles from the truck.

We were taking a break and I decided to glass around for a minute…to my surprise there was a nice 6x6 maybe 150-200 yards away.

My wife quickly stands up and….loudly….buckles up her pack!
The Bull was gone in an instant.