Dry January

MTN BUM

Lil-Rokslider
I think it would be pretty cool to have a "survivors pool" with this thread. Self reported. Last one in and dry wins respect.

I love dry reds like cabernet sauvignon and drier chardonnays, just don't think i could do a whole month of them. I like to mix in a solid stout, ipa, or lager. Sometimes an old fashioned or a negroni will hit the spot.

Abstaining from something you enjoy for a while is a good way to REALLY enjoy it when you can have it again. Absences make the heart grow fonder, is that how it goes? Good luck to those participating! I also see Dryish January becoming a good alternative for some. I will be on the sidelines cheering, glass of cabernet in hand.

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
The hardest part is retraining the bar staff at my favorite pub (where they know what I drink and have it set up without asking) is tell them to bring me a ginger ale ;)

SWOHTR

WKR
Kind of. I let the whiskey run out and have elected to not restock it. Have beer on hand but not feeling the need to drink it. For kicks, I tried a sip of straight tequila the other night and was NOT a fan.

Sometimes I just like to see how long I can go without, mostly just to prove to myself that I DON’T need it.

Scoot

WKR
Nope. But... to all those folks who are saying "I needed to" or "it has benefited me a ton", good for you! Anything a person does to benefit themselves/their family/society is a good thing, so good on you for making the change and seeing the improvement.

Ikmclean

Lil-Rokslider
My wife and I got a late start on dry January, started on the 4th after the kids went back to school, night caps were almost necessary with crazy kids home all day especially with grandparents around spoiling them.

wytx

WKR
I agree Scoot.
No here too.
Gave up sugar in my diet several months back and that has been a huge change for me. Switched to Makers for a few months, friend that owns a brewery complained, lol.
Back to local beer and vodka on occasion.

Keep at if folks if you feel the need and good luck !!

TimeOnTarget

Lil-Rokslider
Haven’t had a drink since August, the quiting drinking thread on here abd huberman podcast literally changed my life. Best decision I’ve made for my mind and body.
Those Huberman podcasts on alcohol and the one on sugar got me started. I cleaned on the pantry of anything that had “added sugar” on the label and gave up alcohol. The no sugar has been way harder for me that no booze. Which was a surprise to me as I drank way to much, even by my low standards.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Agreed. There should be something in the sober January by-laws that says you don’t need to tell people about it. But there clearly isn’t.

Agree 100%. If you don’t want to drink then don’t, no need to make a tik tok trend over it.