Dry January

UpNorth89

Lil-Rokslider
I failed dry January before I even read this, but a few months ago I stopped having the 1-2 beers and night during the week and I've felt way better since.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Subliminal1

Lil-Rokslider
I started the day after Christmas. Figured I'd get an early jump. I don't remember the last time I didn't have a drink on NYE... ha

Bolt

Lil-Rokslider
13 days in, I was thinking back and I don't think I've been more than 2 weeks without a drink since I was 18. It's sad I know but I really enjoy day drinking beer when I work in the yard.
To that extent when the world turned upside down a few years ago. I didn't have to go into the office any longer and I let the demons creep in weekend drinking became a 5 day affair after work.

Time to turn that around, I'm not saying I'll never have a drink again but it won't be during the week. I'm going to see if I can hang in there for 3 months and reassess after that.

Milestone one achievement last night. I went out with friends and stayed sober. I also stopped nicotine pouches the same day and that one is way harder!!!

Results 13 days in
Way better sleep and actually feel rested.
I've made it to the gym 6 days a week instead of 2 or 3.
I am not as irritable.
BP down and stopped my meds.
I'm sure there are 2 dozen others I'm not aware of.
Good luck guys.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Will_m

WKR
Wait until no remember February comes around. Tolerance plummets and my god the hangover. Good riddance to the stuff.

Sure does feel good while it’s going down though.

TimeOnTarget

Lil-Rokslider
Same no added sugar for over a year. I will eat fruit but nothing processed. I’m in better shape at 36 then I was at 18 in the Marine Corps. Lifts are better, sleep is better, mental health is better, all around a better father, husband and person in general.
Yep I’ll eat fruit as well. An apple or a sweet potato almost puckers me up now it seems so sweet, and it’s only been a couple weeks.
13 days in, I was thinking back and I don't think I've been more than 2 weeks without a drink since I was 18. It's sad I know but I really enjoy day drinking beer when I work in the yard.
To that extent when the world turned upside down a few years ago. I didn't have to go into the office any longer and I let the demons creep in weekend drinking became a 5 day affair after work.

Time to turn that around, I'm not saying I'll never have a drink again but it won't be during the week. I'm going to see if I can hang in there for 3 months and reassess after that.

Milestone one achievement last night. I went out with friends and stayed sober. I also stopped nicotine pouches the same day and that one is way harder!!!

Results 13 days in
Way better sleep and actually feel rested.
I've made it to the gym 6 days a week instead of 2 or 3.
I am not as irritable.
BP down and stopped my meds.
I'm sure there are 2 dozen others I'm not aware of.
Good luck guys.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
I’ve done the no weekday drinking deal before. But eventually I have 1 on a Sunday afternoon. Then maybe one on a random Tuesday. Then 2-3 on a Thursday. Etc etc.
If I’m being honest with myself, I’m better off just not drinking.

Jethro

WKR
Coming from @cnelk, I also clicked this thread thinking it was going to be winter conditions in CO.

I have not had a drink in January, but was unaware of “dry January “.

Burnsie

Lil-Rokslider
Didn't know it was a thing. I guess I'm in since I haven't had anything this month without trying.
These days I may have beer if offered one when visiting someone's home , I don't even keep it at my home anymore.

Robster

Lil-Rokslider
15 days in. I can't ever remembering sleeping so much. Averaging between 9 and 10 1/2 hours a night. At seven o'clock I'm looking at the clock wishing it was 9:00 so I could go to bed. End up waking up on the recliner at 10:30 and actually go to bed.

And don't get me started on the dreaming. It feels like all my sleep is filled with dreams. Some are disturbing and I fall back asleep and go right back into it.

Just my experience.

And diet tonic and lime is becoming a favorite of mine. Never drink soda and was getting tired of water.

Robobiss

FNG
I’m still on the wagon. I didn’t even know it was a thing until a few days ago. I used to drink a LOT. But I was down to probably 4-5 beers a night in september (trying to be more healthy) when I got the news from my woman that I’m going to be a dad in May. (Apparently these things can happen 🤣)

That changed everything. I’ve drank like a fish since I was probably 16. Joining the Marines a couple years later didn’t help it any. But with that news I didn’t want to set that kind of example and for my kid (found out it is going to be a boy) to think that it’s “normal” or “healthy” to drink a 12 pack every two days while cooking/eating dinner and more even when there’s outdoor work to be done around the house.

it was some difficult to get down to just drinking Friday and Saturday and at restaurants (the rules I set for myself). The first couple weeks really sucked. Now it’s easy. I haven’t had a drop since new years and that’s by choice, I’m “allowed” to drink on the weekends but honestly the empty calories are no longer worth it to me. I’d rather drink seltzer water and stay skinny.

Best of luck to everyone out there. Alcohol is a hell of an addicting drug to some of us.

Rich M

WKR
I thought this was about precipitation.

Stopped drinking sodas on Jan 2 and am down 8# as of yesterday. Still drinking a glass of red wine nightly. Eating okay but not great - will get better once my ice cream sammiches and box of chocolates are gone.

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
15 days in. I can't ever remembering sleeping so much. Averaging between 9 and 10 1/2 hours a night. At seven o'clock I'm looking at the clock wishing it was 9:00 so I could go to bed. End up waking up on the recliner at 10:30 and actually go to bed.

And don't get me started on the dreaming. It feels like all my sleep is filled with dreams. Some are disturbing and I fall back asleep and go right back into it.

Just my experience.
My experience as well.

Thanks to all who replied and is doing the Dry January (not weather related)

Keep on - Keeping on

Me and wife do it every year until the Harrisburg PA outdoor show in Feb. Also do a low carb diet at the same time. After the first week I don't find it to hard, but days like today where I work really hard, I sure do miss a few cold ones.

birdman22

FNG
I am, it's been rough. Also gave up zyn Jan 1 which affects me much more than giving up booze.

Did a couple dry months this summer. Took 2 to 3 weeks to notice any changes but after that the sleep quality was improved and lost some weight without any other diet changes.

Giving up nicotine it's hard to notice any benefits yet. Only thing I've noticed is I'm way more productive at home not sitting around drinking on the couch and being tired from it the next day.

I'm doing it with the wife. The weekends are the worst for me, but I'm making it... Certainly sleep better and feel better in the mornings...

I’m still on the wagon. I didn’t even know it was a thing until a few days ago. I used to drink a LOT. But I was down to probably 4-5 beers a night in september (trying to be more healthy) when I got the news from my woman that I’m going to be a dad in May. (Apparently these things can happen 🤣)

That changed everything. I’ve drank like a fish since I was probably 16. Joining the Marines a couple years later didn’t help it any. But with that news I didn’t want to set that kind of example and for my kid (found out it is going to be a boy) to think that it’s “normal” or “healthy” to drink a 12 pack every two days while cooking/eating dinner and more even when there’s outdoor work to be done around the house.

it was some difficult to get down to just drinking Friday and Saturday and at restaurants (the rules I set for myself). The first couple weeks really sucked. Now it’s easy. I haven’t had a drop since new years and that’s by choice, I’m “allowed” to drink on the weekends but honestly the empty calories are no longer worth it to me. I’d rather drink seltzer water and stay skinny.

Best of luck to everyone out there. Alcohol is a hell of an addicting drug to some of us.
Congrats on becoming a Dad

Steel Rain

Lil-Rokslider
I quit drinking all together last January. I cleaned up my diet. Lost 35 pounds. I sleep better. I have better mental clarity. I’m more productive. I’m more engaged with my family. My joints don’t hurt. I miss the taste but I don’t miss feeling like garbage.