Dry January

Folks should stop chasing fads that ultimately lead to becoming a nation of wimps. Folks are playing into the hands of folks that want to feminize men.

Do what makes the most sense for you.

Sounds like you may need to put the bottle down brother
It was libelous of you to imply that I have a drinking problem. Thankfully you are not my brother.

The fad is in the title whether you like it or not.

If a person has a health issue that would benefit from the reduction or elimination of alcohol, the person should should do what is needed. If it takes a fad to get someone to make the change, then so be it.

If a person feels the need to drink on a (near) daily basis, then they should do what is required to reduce or eliminate their intake. If it takes a fad to get someone to make the change, then so be it.

For those who just follow a fad in order to say "me too!!!", those folks deserve "No Nut November".

Mostly dry. A few beers for the Lions wildcard game at Ford field, and a handful more for the divisional round on my couch this past Sunday. Might keep the tradition going since I’m a little superstitious.

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
For those who just follow a fad in order to say "me too!!!", those folks deserve "No Nut November".
November is for ‘No-Shave November’ for those that (can) start a beard for wintertime. ;)

Congrats to anyone that has participated in Dry January.

Anything, fad or otherwise, to help bettering yourself is a good thing.

I’ve actually enjoyed being ‘Dry’ this month. I did it last year and may continue this healthy streak.

arock

Lil-Rokslider
Those Huberman podcasts on alcohol and the one on sugar got me started. I cleaned on the pantry of anything that had “added sugar” on the label and gave up alcohol. The no sugar has been way harder for me that no booze. Which was a surprise to me as I drank way to much, even by my low standards.
The alcohol podcast one was an eye opener.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Folks should stop chasing fads that ultimately lead to becoming a nation of wimps. Folks are playing into the hands of folks that want to feminize men.

Do what makes the most sense for you.
100%. I came tot he conclusion that having a beer or 2 at home on a Saturday night with my wife is not a big deal. There are definetly people who’s lives will improve drastically by not drinking for a month, I’m not one of them.

june-bug

FNG
Today makes 6 months dry for me. Since going sober I have slowly worked my way up to walking/jogging 3 miles or so every afternoon. I've dropped 40 pounds and have taken up new habits like reading in the evenings instead of wasting time drinking. I've noticed that my sleep patterns and cognitive skills have both greatly improved. I just turned 50 on the 18th of this month and I feel better than I have in a long, long time, both physically and mentally. I believe that I am done with drinking for good. There are times when I miss it but I just no longer see any benefit to drinking alcohol. Also I'm pretty sure that in the last 30 years of drinking I have not only met but by far surpassed my quota because I was a daily drinker. I definitely drank my share in evenings after work and more than my share most weekends, vacations etc. I was what i now realize a high functioning alcoholic.

eshunt

Lil-Rokslider
Today makes 6 months dry for me. Since going sober I have slowly worked my way up to walking/jogging 3 miles or so every afternoon. I've dropped 40 pounds and have taken up new habits like reading in the evenings instead of wasting time drinking. I've noticed that my sleep patterns and cognitive skills have both greatly improved. I just turned 50 on the 18th of this month and I feel better than I have in a long, long time, both physically and mentally. I believe that I am done with drinking for good. There are times when I miss it but I just no longer see any benefit to drinking alcohol. Also I'm pretty sure that in the last 30 years of drinking I have not only met but by far surpassed my quota because I was a daily drinker. I definitely drank my share in evenings after work and more than my share most weekends, vacations etc. I was what i now realize a high functioning alcoholic.
Congrats. Keep up the good work. I am now almost 6 years in and wouldn't change it for the world. I needed the change because I couldn't even make it halfway through Dry January without falling off the wagon in a bad way.

cs1

FNG
Wife and I are doing an ok job of it, did have a couple beers at my brother in law’s retirement party on the 12th. Biggest improvement is the sleep and less fog in the mornings.
And,,,, they don’t exactly give the stuff away. I’m sure we’ve saved a bundle the last few weeks.

birdman22

FNG
Planning on continuing until at least the end of February. Have noticed some mental and physical improvements but not to where I want to be yet. Going to clean up the diet for the month of Feb and see where we end up.
Had a couple NA beers last night. Have never tried one, but they were tasty and think they can hold me over through Feb.

Beendare

WKR
My annual desert deer hunt in S Az is supposed to be dry-it was drought conditions for all of 2023- it rained every stinking day of my hunt.