Dual purpose tripod

Looking for some experience and expertise from guys that operate like I do. I hunt in generally steep country. While out this past week I glassed up a few bears (mom and a cub) at a generally shootable distance for me. The problem was I was sitting on a steep hillside so prone, sitting with the pack upright, etc was not an option. I would have to climb back to the ridge, or down to a burned out tree to get some sort of rest.
I had no intention of shooting the bear as they are protected, but it got me thinking... this spot was great for glassing but what if that had been a single and shootable bear/deer/elk? I do understand that I should have considered this before setting up.

Had I been able to mount my rifle quick to the tripod I think I would have been set. My tripod is an inexpensive Vanguard, that's worked well for glassing but is definitely not strong enough to shoot from. I'm looking for something that can do well at both and not weigh me down too bad. Searching the internet I see a lot of great glassing set ups, and a lot of solid shooting set ups from PRS type guys that say they glass from them... but with minimal tilt, pan, up, down, etc movement from their set ups I'm guessing they glass corn fields and not steep and vast mountains.

So, does what I'm looking for exist? How is glassing for hours from something like an RRS ball head? My current tripod has a built in handle for all the up/down and side/side I need. The RRS and Hog Saddle CF type set ups seem great for locking things down, but not as much for the constant glassing.

I'm hoping to be able to flip a lever, remove the binocular post (outdoorsmans) and then clamp my rifle in via a small plate, make some adjustments and be ready to shoot.

Thanks

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've used this solomon river solutions (rokslide sponsor) pictinny/arca swiss adapter to shoot from my tripod. He also makes a outdoorsman adapter setup. Contact member @LivetohuntID
c973c9a8ad96f07a785ce45a959fa7d5.jpg
257708bbbd02a7a442c0497b454f33fd.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
J
I've used this solomon river solutions (rokslide sponsor) pictinny/arca swiss adapter to shoot from my tripod. He also makes a outdoorsman adapter setup.

That’s a slick looking plate.

You have an outdoorsmans head on there? Is it stable to shoot from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's a suiri va-5 head the arca swiss plate will fit into a lot of different tripod heads though. I honestly haven't shot a ton from it as i got it for my kids to shoot off of. They haven't had any issues shooting shorter distances with it.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
“Salmon” River Solutions Sam! I forgot you had that adapter on your rifle! Hope it’s working out well.

I do make rails for the outdoorsmans tripods, but right now I only have the mini outdoorsmans available, I’m sold out of the outdoorsmans + pic.

crich

WKR
This guy rigged up a sweet setup. I have the same tripod and a VA5 head. Ive been looking to do the same thing but would need a ball head to compensate for tilt so the rifle is vertical.

carter33

WKR
RRS 24L with anvil 30
If you want lighter, look at RRS ascent.
I use Area419 rails on my guns and arca for spotter and binos.

Have they released the ascent yet? But absolutely agree with the RRS tripod and anvil 30. It is incredibly stable and after some use I actually really enjoy glassing with the anvil also. For a lighter setup you can put the anvil on any tripod with the standard stud adapter, I have it on a gitzo traveler tripod and while it isn’t as sturdy as the beefy RRS 24L it is a good compromise for kneeling/seated shots but not so much for standing.

carter33

WKR
I thought the ascent would be released this year but I don’t know.

I used my RRS 24L with Anvil 30 to fill my antelope doe tag this morning. Worked great.
View attachment 222992

I thought the same, may be another the thing coronavirus has messed up. I almost chose to wait for it to be released but glad I picked up the same package you have or I’d still be waiting.

Congrats on the antelope, looks like a great set up with the rifle also.

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Already had a Pro-Master 525c tripod (17.5 load rating) and already had my rifle setup for the Spartan bipod attachment, so I added the Spartan Davros head to the tripod and the setup has been working well...

5F933441-7819-417A-8F4F-CB6C47403518.jpeg

For a lightweight/simple hunting solution, I'm happy. It obviously isn't the same stability (or cost) as a fully dedicated shooting tripod like RRS.

OP
J
I thought the ascent would be released this year but I don’t know.

I used my RRS 24L with Anvil 30 to fill my antelope doe tag this morning. Worked great.
View attachment 222992

Nice work on the antelope today!

Slick looking rig. How smooth is glassing from this set up? I’ve heard ballheads aren’t as good for sustained glassing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eoperator

WKR
“Salmon” River Solutions Sam! I forgot you had that adapter on your rifle! Hope it’s working out well.

I do make rails for the outdoorsmans tripods, but right now I only have the mini outdoorsmans available, I’m sold out of the outdoorsmans + pic.
Would you happen to have any pics of your pic/outdoorsmans adapter please?

Dennis

WKR
I too hunt and shoot in steep mountainous country and was searching for a lighter weight system. I have tried many systems and have finally come to my solution which is light weight and severs many functions for me. I am using a Precision Rifle Solution Tall Tripod with a Spartan Davros head on the tripod. I then installed two gunsmith adaptors in my light weight hunting rifles. I converted my optic system bases to the Spartan system of light weight and heavy weight adaptors for binoculars, cameras, spotting scopes etc. This allows me to quickly change from binoculars to spotting scope to rifle. In the small bag in the picture is my binocular adaptor which mounts to my binoculars when glassing. I can use the system from the prone (with center extension removed, quick and easy) to sitting, kneeling and standing. It can be used as a bipod however I do carry the Javelin bipod and light weight shooting sticks for quicker shots. I use my shooting sticks to stabilize the rear of the rifle when sitting or my trekking poles when kneeling and an Rugged Ridge Extreme Rear Support when shooting prone. I also use my backpack in some shooting positions and to help stabilize my shooting position. I limit my hunting shots to about 600 yards or less. I have a steel range set up and use it to practice different angles, distances and time limits to refine the system. I can add weight to the bottom of the tripod using a center extension loop to help stabilize, but have not found that necessary as of yet. Good luck in your quest. IMG_0116.jpg