Dual purpose tripods?

inline 6

FNG
Im looking for a tripod that I can potantially shoot from or attach a spottign scope to. Is there such a beast that is good for dual purpose like this or are they better suited to get a job specific unit? I have searched extensively and most tripods seems to be hit or miss from the reviewers perspective. I dont see any that people love unanimously. I want to buy once cry once on this deal and am not afraid to spend for quality gear. I will most likely not be packing this and will just be unloading and using directly from the truck or a short hike.

Axlrod

WKR
I have the RRS TFCT with the Anvil 30 ball head. Very happy, it is the real deal. It is not cheap and it is not in stock so you will have to wait a bit.

BBarnett13

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the tripods from Two Vets. They should have something that fits the bill.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If your not hiking with it… probably the RRS. If your wanting lightweight but still having the ability to shoot off of it, that’s where it gets a lot more complicated.

If you're looking to buy once and cry once, RRS is pretty much the undisputed top of the line brand.

Soo I have a cheap amazon carbon fiber tripod and it works great I paid like $100 for it. I use it to shoot off of and for glassing. The brand is neewer or something like that.
I don't completely understand the need to buy a $1000 tripod.

I use the Neewer aluminum version at 3 pounds. It is fairly stable for glassing. It is sort of stable for shooting. It will not be stable enough to shoot 1/4 inch groups but it does well enough to keep me on 12x12 steel targets to about 600 yards.
I think the main thing I/we give up with cheaper tripods is micro adjustability. The adjustments on the cheaper ones like mine are more abrupt and not really that smooth.
The obvious pros include weight, price and size. Cons are as stated.

gotbull

FNG
If your not packing it very far the weight isnt a issue.
The head is probably more important as in fluid movement and rock solid lockup.
Have used manfrottos and outdoorsmans .
had good luck with both . Just depends on what you get used to using

Fire_9

WKR
A two vets no name jr with a Colorado tripod company small highline ball head is what I ended up with. Works pretty well for glassing and shooting

Manakh

FNG
I bought Field optics research 5436c bowl top but asked them to put the legs from the 6229c on the bowl instead of the others so that it collapses down much shorter for packing around. Its not for shooting standing up this way and it won't be quite as stable fully extended but I only wanted it for kneeling, sitting, prone, and glassing.

In the picture is 1 cold bore shot from a bench rest then 1 cold bore shot off the tripod sitting down with my back rested against a log and my elbow on my knee off. Both at 400 yards with my 7 mag and 162 factory eld-x.

Attachments

• PXL_20210608_010947681.jpg
    PXL_20210608_010947681.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 5