Duck Camp Camo

OP
Windrunner17

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
I have basically replaced all my First Lite and Kuiu with their stuff and a few casual things too. I've got a rain jacket, puffy jacket, wool, fleece vest and hoodie, brush pants (really just duck canvas), vantage pants, and some hats and shirts.

I guess that makes me a fan boy, but I switched everything over for two reasons. One, I am 6-4, 225 and have a hard time finding things that fit and Duck Camp fits me better than most other brands for even casual stuff. Two, I had a rip in a down coat and then they sent me the wrong color wool. They sent me brand new replacements for both and said to keep what they'd already sent.

I also just think the stuff is good quality and looks good on me. It's not the most lightweight but that's not my biggest concern anymore, and when I next do a long trip I'd probably supplement with some lighter gear. I was just in Houston and went to their store and got the same great treatment I've had with online customer service too.
I agree with a lot of this. I'd say I'm a fanboy, I've gotten several pieces at this point and love them all, but I do see some of the limitations. As someone who gets cold easily and lives in a place that gets cold late season I decided to bite the bullet and get a Sitka fanatic jacket for when the temperatures go below freezing and I'm sitting still for 3+hours at a time. As long as it isn't below freezing though I'm decked out in my Duck Camp. I have found alpaca base layers, with the Barnburner hoodie and Giddy Up joggers, then an outer layer of the Head Guide Hoodie and 3-Layer Fleece Bibs works great. I was in windy (15-25 MPH winds) driving rain and ~40 degree temps and as long as I had my dry foam cushion to sit on I stayed warm, dry and comfortable in stand from 4:00 PM to 7:00PM.

The things I've gone outside Duck Camp for are cold weather hat, jacket, gloves, and base layers. For the cold weather hat and jacket I just don't think Duck Camp offers anything that meets my needs. For the gloves and baselayers I can get alpaca, which I have found to be warmer and softer to touch, for cheaper than the Duck Camp stuff and it has served me well so far.

Muttman

Lil-Rokslider
fyi fellas there is some pieces of duck camp for sale at Sierra trading post.
looks like good prices

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

OP
Windrunner17

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
30% off everything sitewide right now.

I am tempted to grab another Barnburner Hoodie...you can basically get it for half price right now and it's the best mid-layering hoodie I've ever had.

Has anyone tried their airflow jackets? I’ve been eyeing them pretty hard.. I have a few of their bamboo pieces and the barn burner merino hoody and absolutely love them.

OP
Windrunner17

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone tried their airflow jackets? I’ve been eyeing them pretty hard.. I have a few of their bamboo pieces and the barn burner merino hoody and absolutely love them.
I have the vest. I like it, but not as much as my other pieces. It is nice to add another thin insulating layer though.

I have the vest. I like it, but not as much as my other pieces. It is nice to add another thin insulating layer though.
Thanks for the response. They don’t really give too much info on their site so I was wondering how thick/thin it was. I appreciate it!

OP
Windrunner17

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the response. They don’t really give too much info on their site so I was wondering how thick/thin it was. I appreciate it!
No problem.

I have to say the airflow vest both disappointed me and impressed me at the same time. It is not as warm as I was hoping, but it was also much thinner and lighter than I expected. It does provide an impressive amount of warmth for how light and thin it is, but don't expect it to keep you warm like a puffy vest would. It is nice to layer over my Barnburner and under my outer shell for a little added warmth when it gets really cold, or as a light outer vest when like fishing in cool, but not cold conditions (~50s). I would assume the jacket probably traps a good deal more heat than the vest though.

If you are planning to use it for hunting purposes it needs to be an insulating middle layer. It is too loud to wear on the outside while hunting, but I don't hear it at all if I wear it under my Head Guide Hoodie or my Sitka Fanatic.

Overall, it's not a bad piece of clothing, but not my favorite piece from Duck Camp. I just have really high standards/expectations since the Barnburner is my favorite hoodie I've ever had, I wear my bamboo hoodies non-stop, and I wear my Head Guide Hoodie all the time too. Not to mention my Merino Joggers and some of the other stuff I've gotten from them. I like mine, but if I did it all over again I think I'd spend the money on something else.

TSAMP

WKR
Update on these guys gear.

Midweight hunting shirt - runs long but good fit otherwise. Noisy fabric but durable. Overall a great upland shirt and I'll be using it often.

Brush pants - what a let down. Decent fit. I'd say traditional bootcut jeans style. Fabric seems like a thin burlap. It reminds me of the hemp Patagonia offers. One wash and it looks 3 years old and is wrinkled out the dryer everytime. Not much stretch to them and they absorb water like a Sponge and dry like one as well.
I dont see myself wearing these again.

OP
Windrunner17

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
Update on these guys gear.

Midweight hunting shirt - runs long but good fit otherwise. Noisy fabric but durable. Overall a great upland shirt and I'll be using it often.

Brush pants - what a let down. Decent fit. I'd say traditional bootcut jeans style. Fabric seems like a thin burlap. It reminds me of the hemp Patagonia offers. One wash and it looks 3 years old and is wrinkled out the dryer everytime. Not much stretch to them and they absorb water like a Sponge and dry like one as well.
I dont see myself wearing these again.
That's a shame. I heard the brush pants weren't great so I never bought any myself. I don't wear button up shirts for hunting, just not my style, but it's good to hear an honest review.

OP
Windrunner17

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
So, I figured something out. I really like to use my airflow vest to hold some chemical hand warmers and keep me toasty on stand.

In the cold, I usually wear two base layers, a mid layer (or two) and a shell. I've found that if I layer the Airflow vest between the base layers and the mid layers it provides the perfect amount of warmth. If the hand warmers are any closer to my body I can overheat, but any further away and they lose some of their effectiveness. Being thin and having pockets the vest is perfect for this.

Last edited:

TSAMP

WKR
To continue the Evaluation,
I just unwrapped some duck camp merino sweatpants. These are pretty nice and the loop at the foot is great for waders and good pocket configuration. My better half listens to well and I did mention these interest me..however they're $170 dollars which is ridiculous.

Not that any of you would consider 170 dollar sweats, but I'd give it a pass unless your Jeff Bezos.

OP
Windrunner17

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
To continue the Evaluation,
I just unwrapped some duck camp merino sweatpants. These are pretty nice and the loop at the foot is great for waders and good pocket configuration. My better half listens to well and I did mention these interest me..however they're $170 dollars which is ridiculous.

Not that any of you would consider 170 dollar sweats, but I'd give it a pass unless your Jeff Bezos.
I have the jogger sweats. Yeah, they're expensive but you'd be hard pressed to find a quality garment made from 95%+ merino wool for considerably cheaper. Icebreaker, Ibex, Woolx, etc comparable pants are in the $130-$180 range.

The trick is to shop the sales. I got mine for 30% off.

Last edited:
OP
Windrunner17

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
Follow up on the rain jacket…. Very impressed to say the least. I stood out and coached football all morning in a steady down pour for approximately 5 hrs. Not once did it wet out. I put my Skre 850 puffy under it the other night and there is plenty of room for it plus a base and mid layer. Love the pockets and ventilation as well. Best wishes , hope this helps
I'm excited to buy it. I think it will complete my set-up. I have the base layer, midlayer, insulation layer, and windshirt down....just need something for the rain and this looks like just what I'm looking for. Light, packable, and pit zips! Right now I have a softshell for when it rains and it works, but it's heavy and bulky to carry around. Just wish they offered more solid colors.

Unfortunately, it's pricey so I'll be saving up for a bit.

OP
Windrunner17

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
Follow up on the rain jacket…. Very impressed to say the least. I stood out and coached football all morning in a steady down pour for approximately 5 hrs. Not once did it wet out. I put my Skre 850 puffy under it the other night and there is plenty of room for it plus a base and mid layer. Love the pockets and ventilation as well. Best wishes , hope this helps
Hey, what color/pattern did you get for the rain jacket?

Oaksy

FNG
Sorry to revive an old thread, but this is the only one with any information on Duck Camp. @Windrunner17, how do you like the fleece bibs. They're currently on sale and am looking to grab a pair but I've found little reviews on them besides the Duck Camp site.

Are the bamboo hoodies overkill for warm weather? I have been looking for some warmer weather bamboo clothing because I know it’s a great material for that, but it sounds like the praise is for it being warm.

TSAMP

WKR
I'm a big fan of the original bamboo. I have a hoody and it's fine for 80 and below I'd say but not much more. Kind of heavy otherwise. The lightweight is definitely thinner but I've found the fit off.

OP
Windrunner17

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry to revive an old thread, but this is the only one with any information on Duck Camp. @Windrunner17, how do you like the fleece bibs. They're currently on sale and am looking to grab a pair but I've found little reviews on them besides the Duck Camp site.
I like them, depending on your need. My quick summary is I like the pocket layout, they are quiet and comfortable, I really liked the fit and cut, they are fairly water repellent as long as you aren't getting poured on or sitting on a wet surface. In my experience if it misted or rained lightly on them it would just bead on the surface and not get through, but if you sat on a wet surface it would slowly soak through.

They're pretty good at cutting the wind as well, but not completely windproof. The side zips let you vent and dump heat pretty effectively, but I got heated up quickly when I didn't have them fully open and was back into the woods.

I think they probably work better for southern winters than northern winters. They are definitely not as warm as Sitka Fanatic Bibs, Code of Silence Coldfjall bibs, or Cabela's Wooltimates. The upside is they're lighter and more maneuverable than those others and aren't so bad at collecting burrs.

Ultimately I like them and still use them whenever it's not super cold. When it gets cold I wear my Code of Silence bibs instead. I guess if your hunting weather doesn't often get below 20°F I'd recommend it as an all around bib for stationary hunting, but if you're often hunting in colder (than 20°F) weather it may not be worth the money.

Attachments

• 20221228_075605.jpg
    20221228_075605.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Oaksy

FNG
I like them, depending on your need. My quick summary is I like the pocket layout, they are quiet and comfortable, I really liked the fit and cut, they are fairly water repellent as long as you aren't getting poured on or sitting on a wet surface. In my experience if it misted or rained lightly on them it would just bead on the surface and not get through, but if you sat on a wet surface it would slowly soak through.

They're pretty good at cutting the wind as well, but not completely windproof. The side zips let you vent and dump heat pretty effectively, but I got heated up quickly when I didn't have them fully open and was back into the woods.

I think they probably work better for southern winters than northern winters. They are definitely not as warm as Sitka Fanatic Bibs, Code of Silence Coldfjall bibs, or Cabela's Wooltimates. The upside is they're lighter and more maneuverable than those others and aren't so bad at collecting burrs.

Ultimately I like them and still use them whenever it's not super cold. When it gets cold I wear my Code of Silence bibs instead. I guess if your hunting weather doesn't often get below 20°F I'd recommend it as an all around bib for stationary hunting, but if you're often hunting in colder (than 20°F) weather it may not be worth the money.
I appreciate the follow up. I think these will suite my needs here for archery season in PA. These seemed like a really good deal with the sale they're currently running plus and additional 15% off. I'll give them a shot and if they don't work out I'll end up getting the Code of Silence bibs like I originally planned.

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
Duck Camp has some great stuff. We got a little beef though because they didn't accept me into their college ambassador position...jking, I am still a fan and am considering cashing in on this fleece sale they have right now. Got the bibs and they are incredible.