Durango-Pagosa 2016 FNG DIY

Mfritts

FNG
Will be hitting up Colorado for first time hunt this coming season. I'm looking at the southwest area and will be travelling up from Texas and hopefully teaming up with an Army buddy from Kentucky. I know that OTC areas will be crowded and to get over it, but is it feasible to hunt from a basecamp and still get away from some of the crowds? Also what's the best way to locate roads to scout future camp sites? does any one have experience in this area during 2nd rifle season (weather, appropriate clothing, insulated boots or good hiking boots with wool socks)? Also I'm a typical Texas whitetail hunter, what are some good books, articles to read and study elk behavior and migrations so I know what land features to scout or focus on? Not expecting instant success but looking forward to some time in the mountains. Any advice is appreciated.

gelton

WKR
I haven't been able to get away from the crowds in SW Colorado even when back packing in 4-5 miles and going in further from there :)

Weather - be prepared for anything. I hunted two years during rifle once during 1st season and once during 2nd season and both years saw snow, but the worst snow actually occurred during 1st season where we saw 18 inches above 10K feet.

johnnylaw

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted out of pagosa last year. it was hot and they were not talking much. had a chance to kill one with the bow though. blew the stalk at 80yds. good luck and pm me with any questions. happy o help if I can

Bughalli

WKR
It's not as crowded as people say it is. Hunted it last year and never saw another Hunter in 7 days. The hunters cluster around certain access points, but you can avoid those areas. It becomes obvious. Do what others don't or can't.

slick trick

Lil-Rokslider
look north of lake Valiceto some of the toughest stuff wont be near the numbers everywhere else, there was also a packer out of the lake that could get you in and out

MesaHorseCo.

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You can get away from people. Alot of people in the backcountry are still within pissing distance of the trail most of the time. Ditch the trail system and you can find some country to yourself.

OP
M

Mfritts

FNG
Thanks for all the feed back everybody. What are the best maps to show trails and road access? Also can you use a UTV in GMU 77 or 78 to get farther back to set up a camp?