Early season meat care

OP
S

surso

FNG
Thanks for all the advise. For those who have taken it in to a cold storage facility... what's the typical daily rate?

Any idea what storage fees are? Ballpark number?

I’m non resident and hunting early archery New Mexico and also possibly hunting the rut in Colorado pending draw results. I’m realizing that might not be an option now unless I ran a freezer/generator in Colorado or paid for meat storage.

HankNM

Lil-Rokslider
If your talking NM,there is little flowing water. Can be a day drive to get gas or ice,or more.
Depends on season too.
I've hung elk @ home for a week in Oct outside & had to thaw to butcher. I've also had to make the dash to cooler the next day.....
I use the frozen jug method, & a few coolers.

If your talking NM,there is little flowing water. Can be a day drive to get gas or ice,or more.
Depends on season too.
I've hung elk @ home for a week in Oct outside & had to thaw to butcher. I've also had to make the dash to cooler the next day.....
I use the frozen jug method, & a few coolers.

Yes my NM plan is to pack the meat out and put on ice ASAP. But staying away from home for a longer period of time and hunting Colorado while holding on to meat from the NM elk would be a challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HankNM

Lil-Rokslider
Yes my NM plan is to pack the meat out and put on ice ASAP. But staying away from home for a longer period of time and hunting Colorado while holding on to meat from the NM elk would be a challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes it would.
..& your priority if you have success in NM would be the meat. In my opine.
I would store it @ a NM butcher's cooler in strategic place and then go to CO. Hell,have the guy do the job while your away and freeze it. Pick it up on way home.

Storage fees will vary from place to place. A small shop may charge $5-$10 a day. A larger place may charge $10-$20 per day. Depends on how much room they have or how is has to be stored. Can it be hung on a rail system and moved around easily? Is the meat boneless and need to be stored in totes on a cart? How often does the meat need to be moved to make room for what the processor is actually processing? At my plant I charge $15 a day to store meat. 3-5 days isn’t bad. If it’s longer then I would suggest just having the processor cut it up and freeze. Only problem with that is how many animals does the processor have to move back in line to cut yours ahead of someone else’s that has already been waiting. Also, does the animal have to be quickly processed after normal operating hours forcing the owner to pay overtime?