Easton Axis 4mm long range 4 fletch

4fletch

Lil-Rokslider
I cranked the bow back up to 71lbs, 29.5 inches ( i have a weird 29.75 draw) so I built, or rebuilt some 4mm Axis 250 spines i had. I picked up another pin from Black gold for the Rush so i can shoot 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70. I found on the Axis 5mm and Fmjs (all 530g) a four fletch with a RH 3 degree heilicle aided with accuracy at least out to 60. To pick up some speed and cut back in resistance a touch I went back to 71 lbs and down to 490g arrow weight. I had to grind a bit off the jig to get 3 degrees where i wanted it on a 4mm.
Ill post up some shots and thoughts as i make pin adjustments and get out to 70 yards tommorow.
The orange fletch is 4mm new, the white fletch is 5mm 4 fletch at 20,30 and 40 yards.

Attachments

• 20211023_190532.jpg
    20211023_190532.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 89
  • 20211012_162953[173].jpg
    20211012_162953[173].jpg
    334.4 KB · Views: 86
OP
4fletch

4fletch

Lil-Rokslider
I have noticed something with four fletch vs three when they have a strong 2.5 to 3 degree H. I Have not tested enough to 'prove" it yet but it seems to have an effect on the 20 to 30 pin gap. Then the opposite effect on the 40-50 50-60 pin gaps. As in when using an UNO calculator to set your pin gaps the 20-30 will be wider. To the point you need to mess with the velocity and drag a lot to make it match. Then past that the pin gaps all seem to match what the predicted velocity and drag predict. My thought being as the arrow spends some getting spun up at the beginning then out past 30 it enjoys some benefit from the stable fight in less drop. Obviously a lot is at play but interesting anywho.

OP
4fletch

4fletch

Lil-Rokslider
Another thing i noticed when i switched back is out at 40 yards the Bully vanes that are stiffer and smoother seemed to have a higher point of impact than the regular blazers. On average. Not enough you could not shoot them from zero to forty together. But enough i need to test them at longer distances to see. These are three fletch 2.5rh i am going to switch back to 4.

Attachments

• 20211024_151439[184].jpg
    20211024_151439[184].jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 29

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Are those two different types of vanes on the same arrow in your first pic? Two of them look like normal Blazers, and two of them look weird. Are those normal Blazers? That's a lot of vane for a 4-fletch.

OP
4fletch

4fletch

Lil-Rokslider
The orange ones in the first pic? I think the flash made them discolored. Its the small 4mm arrow prob. Ive used them on 5mm in a four fletch. And used long 2.88 Vanetec shields on Small diameter gold tip kenetic pros, but this is the first time i put such an aggressive H on a 4 mm with a four fletch. They had a 2.5 rh three fletch on them before. I had to grind some ridge off my jig to get three degrees where i wanted it.
Different view, still the flash.

Attachments

• 20211023_191838.jpg
    20211023_191838.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 35

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The shapes look way different. In your first pic, the two on the back look like they go 90 degrees away from the shaft and then round off still near the back end and then slope to the front. The other two look like they slope away from the shaft immediately and then come to a point at the midpoint of the fletch before sloping down to the front.

OP
4fletch

4fletch

Lil-Rokslider
The shapes look way different. In your first pic, the two on the back look like they go 90 degrees away from the shaft and then round off still near the back end and then slope to the front. The other two look like they slope away from the shaft immediately and then come to a point at the midpoint of the fletch before sloping down to the front.
I assure you they are uniform and the same fletching. I take pride in my work. I do not do shoddy fletching jobs.

Very first picture in initial post here...looks like two of the four vanes are on backwards to me. Glad someone else noticed it too.

OP
4fletch

4fletch

Lil-Rokslider
Very first picture in initial post here...looks like two of the four vanes are on backwards to me. Glad someone else noticed it too.
The trolling here is silly. I mean have you never seen a vane? The markings alone would tell you you are wrong before you went and said something like that outloud.

OR Archer

WKR
I have noticed something with four fletch vs three when they have a strong 2.5 to 3 degree H. I Have not tested enough to 'prove" it yet but it seems to have an effect on the 20 to 30 pin gap. Then the opposite effect on the 40-50 50-60 pin gaps. As in when using an UNO calculator to set your pin gaps the 20-30 will be wider. To the point you need to mess with the velocity and drag a lot to make it match. Then past that the pin gaps all seem to match what the predicted velocity and drag predict. My thought being as the arrow spends some getting spun up at the beginning then out past 30 it enjoys some benefit from the stable fight in less drop. Obviously a lot is at play but interesting anywho.
Well that would defy physics for an arrow to slow down then speed up(larger initial pin gap to smaller). I would assume there’s a miscalculation there somewhere to give you that kind of result.

OP
4fletch

4fletch

Lil-Rokslider
Well that would defy physics for an arrow to slow down then speed up(larger initial pin gap to smaller). I would assume there’s a miscalculation there somewhere to give you that kind of result.
Not slowing down and speeding up, but spending more energy spinning the arrow slowing the arrow down and then experiencing less loss at distance resulting in less drop than the first pin gap would suggest. Do you follow that? Not the best wording.
And there are absolutely calculation issues, the vane drag is off.

OR Archer

WKR
IF you’re vanes are doing that much correction out of the bow it would show at all distances. It would also lead me to believe the tune of the bow is not optimal. Like @Beendare stated gravity is a constant which is why pin gaps gradually expand over distance. Not expand then shrink. So I stand by my statement that something is off.

OP
4fletch

4fletch

Lil-Rokslider
IF you’re vanes are doing that much correction out of the bow it would show at all distances. It would also lead me to believe the tune of the bow is not optimal. Like @Beendare stated gravity is a constant which is why pin gaps gradually expand over distance. Not expand then shrink. So I stand by my statement that something is off.
Where did you read expand and then shrink? It read the 20 to 30 pin gap is larger than uno predicted and then the rest were closer to the gaps it predicted. In other words the space between 50 and 60 was damn near dead nuts what uno predicted but the 20 - 30 was a bit larger. Of course they grow.

OR Archer

WKR
Where did you read expand and then shrink? It read the 20 to 30 pin gap is larger than uno predicted and then the rest were closer to the gaps it predicted. In other words the space between 50 and 60 was damn near dead nuts what uno predicted but the 20 - 30 was a bit larger. Of course they grow.
You just said your 20-30 is larger than what was calculated but the rest of your pins were pretty much correct on the gaps it calculated. That equates to slowing down then speeding up.

Marble

WKR
There are variables not considered for the pin gap differences or discrepancies. People do odd things when centering their peep at different yardages for several reasons.

Peep size, string angle, peep height, form and particularly the lighting conditions during testing can all cause differences in zero when shooting.

Using a hooter shooter indoors would eliminate some of these issues.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
4fletch

4fletch

Lil-Rokslider
You just said your 20-30 is larger than what was calculated but the rest of your pins were pretty much correct on the gaps it calculated. That equates to slowing down then speeding up.
No it doesnt. It would show a more aggressive drop while initially getting up to rotation speed and a more gradual arc once up to rotation speed. And im not even claiming that is the case, looks like.

No it doesnt. It would show a more aggressive drop while initially getting up to rotation speed and a more gradual arc once up to rotation speed. And im not even claiming that is the case, looks like.
Uhh, I don't think that's how gravity works. Rotation doesn't have lift

OP
4fletch

4fletch

Lil-Rokslider
There are variables not considered for the pin gap differences or discrepancies. People do odd things when centering their peep at different yardages for several reasons.

Peep size, string angle, peep height, form and particularly the lighting conditions during testing can all cause differences in zero when shooting.

Using a hooter shooter indoors would eliminate some of these issues.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Ive noticed this. My tick seems to be at 30.
Uhh, I don't think that's how gravity works. Rotation doesn't have lift
It would be a byproduct of increased drag while building rotation and less drag when already rotating at speed. SMH.

TheViking

WKR
I have seen this too.

With a stiffer vane, you will have less flutter, making the arrow shoot flatter. Is it night and day difference? No, but at 50 and further you will have less drop.

Wayne from the Bow Rack (and Kellen from Inside Out Precision) posted about this not too long ago as well...so if you don't trust us, you can trust him. The Bully vanes from Easton (made by Bohning now) have the same shape, but the material is a lot stiffer.

Less flutter = less drag = flatter trajectory